Bear as a given name

I was going to comment that it works for [name_m]Bear[/name_m] Grylls, but Wikipedia just taught me that his full name is [name_u]Edward[/name_u] - I did not know that! I think [name_m]Bear[/name_m] makes a good name in itself, but if you happen like a bear-associated name, why not go with that and nn [name_m]Bear[/name_m] and have the best of both worlds? The child then has options when they’re old enough to decide what they want to be called.
Some more names with bear-associated meanings ~
Arcadius
[name_m]Artair[/name_m]
[name_m]Arturo[/name_m]
[name_m]Benno[/name_m]
[name_m]Berenger[/name_m]
[name_m]Espen[/name_m]
Garsea
[name_m]Otso[/name_m]
[name_m]Torben[/name_m]

I don’t like it

I’d use it as a nickname or a middle name. I like seeing a lot of unique names that young parents are using but some are getting too far into the realm of pet names. I know a [name_u]Sage[/name_u] who always hated his name and has been trying unsuccessfully to get his family to call him [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] (his middle name) for a long time. Have also heard adults laughing about their friends kids with animal names like [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] and Fox; adults bullying children for their names. It sounds so strange to some people, especially older people, that they feel almost obligated to mock it.