Bear as a given name

hi berries!

what do you think of the name bear for a boy?

do you think it can stand alone, or would you solely use it as a nickname?

would it flow well with a one-syllable last name?

let me know your thoughts. thanks!

2 Likes

I like a lot of word and nature-y names, so [name_m]Bear[/name_m] is right along with that… Although, I’m not sure about it as a stand-alone name. Most likely, I’d doubt myself and make it a nickname. Not quite sure what that is other than teddy bear. (edwin, edward, edmund) I think it would be fine with a short last name! are you thinking of using a middle? I would use a 2 or 3 syllable middle for this most likely. Maybe something floral like hawthorn/e? or a double like ambrose bennett? I think bear is super cool! :bear:

1 Like

I absolutely adore [name_m]Bear[/name_m] :bear:

It’s so rustic and handsome, gives the same vibes as [name_u]Jack[/name_u] and [name_u]Finn[/name_u], while being so much more rare. I think it works fabulously as a stand-alone, and depending on your surname, could work fine with a one-syllable last name. For example, [name_m]Bear[/name_m] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] would be so handsome!

While I prefer it as a standalone, I love [name_m]Bear[/name_m] as a nickname for the names [name_u]Barrett[/name_u], [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], and [name_u]Arthur[/name_u].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps! :compass:

3 Likes

[name_m]Just[/name_m] over here swooning for [name_m]Bear[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] and [name_m]Bear[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] 🥹

1 Like

Respectfully, to me it sounds like a name for a pet rather than a real human.

1 Like

I love it, I think it’s cute! It can for sure be a stand alone name, and I do think it will flow well with a one syllable last name

i think it works as a stand-alone name! i know one little boy whose name is Behr (bear) & another dude who’s tribal name is [name_m]Bear[/name_m]! seems fine to me :))

I would only use it as a nickname.

I don’t wish to be rude but I detest it as a given name. [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] the Pooh is cuddly and cute but real bears will tear you to shreds. It isn’t anything I’d want to associate my child with or name them after. It can be an okay nickname but for sure something that a person can escape if they don’t like the name…

It seems to be nameberry depending on which day it is, so I’m sure you’ll get plenty of positive feedback and suggestions.

I love [name_m]Bear[/name_m]! It reminds me of [name_m]Bear[/name_m] McCreary, and he wears the name very well!!

I think [name_m]Bear[/name_m] is both sweet and very cool. I think it absolutely works as a full first name, and fits in well with other currently popular nature/word names.

If you’re hesitant though, I think it’s also great as a nickname!! I’ll suggest [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Bernard[/name_m], [name_u]Oberon[/name_u], and [name_m]Orson[/name_m]. I also think it’s one of those nicknames that can work no matter what the full name is!!

I’d personally only use it as a nickname. It’d be cute as a nickname for [name_m]Bernard[/name_m], or one of the Ed/Ted/Theodore names as mentioned above. But I’d ultimately want my kid to have something else to fall back on other than [name_m]Bear[/name_m]

I’ve met a [name_m]Bear[/name_m] (and two kids called [name_u]Tiger[/name_u], and a Fox) so it’s definitely being used, if you wanted to go with it!

i oersonally adore [name_m]Bear[/name_m] as a boys name. its cute and fun but also strong! i think it works perfectly fine as a stand alone name tbh!

1 Like

Personally, I’d use it as a middle name or as a nn for [name_u]Edward[/name_u]. I think it can stand alone though & depending on the surname, should work fine with a one syllable name

I know a [name_m]Bear[/name_m] in our neighborhood. He’s a family man with 4 kids, super nice.

I personally love the idea of using it as a nickname, but I’m not sure what for. [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]? [name_u]Barrett[/name_u]?

As far as the syllables, I think it depends on whether the last name is a noun/adjective or not. Our last name is Horn. [name_m]Bear[/name_m] Horn just wouldn’t work for us. But with something like [name_m]Bear[/name_m] Hanks or [name_m]Bear[/name_m] [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u], I think it’s doable.

I have a friend with a [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] who 100%of the time goes by [name_m]Bear[/name_m].

I know of a little [name_m]Bear[/name_m] - that’s his given name!

I know someone named [name_m]Bear[/name_m] as a stand alone name. He’s in his 30s. I think it’s cool, and different. Refreshing.

Seems little too out there and silly for me, can’t really see it on an adult.

It’s cute, but as a first name I’m not entirely sure about it. I don’t know if anyone could pull it off in real life, or that it would work on an adult. It’s fine as a middle name though.