Bear Names

I love the name [name_m]Bear[/name_m] but I don’t think it’s the best stand-alone name so would prefer to use it as a nickname! Aside from [name_u]Barrett[/name_u], [name_m]Barrick[/name_m], and (stretch) [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m], what unique names can you come up with that can use [name_m]Bear[/name_m] as a nickname? Bonus points if it has the actual “[name_m]Bear[/name_m]” sound in it!

1 Like

Arthur (means bear)
[name_m]Orson[/name_m] (means bear cub)
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (teddy bear)
[name_u]Barry[/name_u]

2 Likes

Might be a stretch but [name_u]Oberon[/name_u], or any -[name_u]Bert[/name_u] name ([name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Robert[/name_m], etc?)

3 Likes

Burnice
[name_u]Barry[/name_u]
[name_m]Barron[/name_m]

Famous Bears That Could Lead to “[name_m]Bear[/name_m]” nn
[name_u]Teddy[/name_u] / [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Humphrey[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] - might be a stretch but that was where [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] the Pooh came about.

2 Likes

Torben - a variation of Torbjörn which roughly translates to thunder bear (so cool, right?!)

3 Likes

Hoibeard, [name_m]Bearnard[/name_m] and [name_m]Bearard[/name_m] all contain the word “bear”, otherwise you could get to the nn [name_m]Bear[/name_m] with…

Bardolph/Bardolf
[name_m]Barcley[/name_m]/Barclay
[name_m]Bardrick[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]/Barnabas
[name_m]Bardulph[/name_m]/Bardulf
[name_m]Barnes[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnett[/name_m]
[name_m]Barlow[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnham[/name_m]
[name_m]Bartholome[/name_m]/Bartholomew/Barthelemy etc?

1 Like

Some may have been mentioned already…

[name_u]Auberon[/name_u]
[name_u]Barrett[/name_u]
[name_m]Bjorn[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruin[/name_m]
[name_m]Dov[/name_m]
[name_m]Espen[/name_m]
[name_u]Garcia[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Osborn[/name_m]

1 Like

Beren is a Tolkien name.

I really like like [name_m]Espen[/name_m] (divine bear) and [name_m]Orson[/name_m] (little bear).

1 Like

I’ve considered [name_m]Bear[/name_m] as a nn for [name_m]Robert[/name_m] because of the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation ([name_f]Roe[/name_f]-bear) and because [name_m]Rob[/name_m] and [name_m]Bob[/name_m] are already in use in my family.

Bernard is one I think of right away along with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Oslo[/name_m] ( like Oso which is bear in Spanish)