Beatrix vs Beatrice

The name-change saga of erose is almost finished! I just need some [name]Berry[/name] help for the last step!

I am 100% sure I am changing my name to either [name]Beatrix[/name] or [name]Beatrice[/name]. I gather that on Nameberry Bratrix is favored because it’s “classic yet quirky”, whilst the people I have queried about the two seem to favor the more classic [name]Beatrice[/name]. Right now I am leaning toward the x ending because it is more eye-catching, and seems crisper.

However, I love the [name]Dante[/name] and [name]Shakespeare[/name] references that [name]Beatrice[/name] has. [name]Beatrix[/name]'s references are excellent too, but what are rabbits in comparison? So my problem I suppose is sound vs references, although I could always go “[name]Beatrix[/name] is a variation and therefore the meanings behind the references still hold…” I do like [name]Beatrice[/name] too, but the x ending fits my personality better, and I’m going into creative-professional lines of work, so quirky is more acceptable.

I welcome your thoughts on the matter!

I prefer [name]Beatrix[/name] - always have. I almost don’t even care for [name]Beatrice[/name], honestly. For you, I would definitely go for [name]Beatrix[/name] - being in a creative line of work is a great opportunity to use a quirky name, [name]IMO[/name].

Yay you!
I prefer [name]Beatrix[/name] too. I also find the X nice and crisp and it seems like a fantastic balance of classic with a little dose of quirk.

I prefer [name]Beatrix[/name] as well, I think it has a little bit more spunk than the studious [name]Beatrice[/name]. And it sounds like you are in love with [name]Beatrix[/name] already, so you should use the name you love. And as for the sound vs. reference argument, most of the general population aren’t going to hear [name]Beatrice[/name] and think back to all the references that you love, but when they hear [name]Beatrix[/name] they will hear the spunk and crispness that you love.

Aw, I love what you have narrowed it down to. I love both names and I prefer [name]Beatrice[/name] for all the reasons you mentioned, but I think [name]Beatrix[/name] is also a great name. I guess what I’m saying is that you can’t go wrong with either, but my slight preference is for [name]Beatrice[/name]. Good luck deciding! From the sound of your post, [name]Beatrix[/name] might suit you best and sounds like it is your personal favorite of the two.

It is! And I suppose since the X version is a variation I can still look to [name]Dante[/name]'s [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Shakespeare[/name]'s as inspiration/role models…although the more classic version is pretty! Based on most of my friend’s reactions, I think they are going by the sound though. Thanks for your thoughts!

@erose - just to set the record straight… [name]Beatrix[/name] is the ORIGINAL Latin spelling so the Italian spelling of [name]Beatrice[/name] is the VARIANT not the other way around. I like the quirky and spunky [name]Beatrix[/name] a little better :slight_smile:

[name]Beatrix[/name] for me, too! I always thought I was in the minority in that, haha. I like the quirky “X”, and [name]Beatrice[/name], while it’s grown on me, is way too soft and even a bit wishy-washy for me. [name]Beatrix[/name] is so cool, though.

Good luck!

I prefer [name]Beatrix[/name] but that’s just because I love the nickname [name]Trixie[/name].

@pansy Funny! I detest [name]Trixie[/name], it has vague negative associations for me, but then again I’m also way after the [name]Trixie[/name] [name]Belden[/name] series generation! I’d be [name]Bea[/name], Beattie or [name]Birdie[/name]!

[name]Beatrix[/name] definitely, so quirky and just fabulous!

I can’t remeber when or where but someone said that all they could see in the name [name]Beatrice[/name] is ‘beat’ and ‘rice’ and the whole beating rice thing stuck with and it pushed me over to [name]Beatrix[/name]. Obvioulsy, not a deal breaker for you but it really put me off the name, even though I tried and tried to love it.

I was thinking this was the case! I wasn’t sure, so I didn’t say anything.

@mischa; Perfect! Since [name]Beatrix[/name] is the original, I feel better about it now! Not like I’m stressing out unnecessarily, but… :wink:

I wrote off [name]Beatrice[/name] for my daughter because when I look at it, I see [name]Beat[/name] [name]Rice[/name]. But that is just me. And I liked having an author name, because I want my girl to feel like she has important things to say (yeah, sure they were rabbits, but it was a contribution, you know?).

However, an awful lot of people don’t seem to realize that [name]Beatrix[/name] is a real name. I’ve encountered a few who think that I named my daughter a kreeaytiv, yooneek spelling of [name]Beatrice[/name].

I love them both, but [name]Beatrix[/name] has a bit more flavour and spunk, and it’s also got the nn [name]Trixie[/name] going for it, which is fantastic.