Beatrix - Yes or No

Hello!

We’re expecting baby boy or girl next week but still can’t nail down a girl’s name! We had it narrowed down to [name]Tessa[/name] or [name]Blythe[/name] but then came up with [name]Beatrix[/name] tonight (nn [name]Bea[/name]). Any thoughts? [name]Feel[/name] free to be brutally honest about all three.

If it helps, our last name is Beaus.

Many thanks in advance!

[name]Beatrix[/name] is an adorable name! I would reccomend using it… however, I don’t think it works with your last name. [name]Beatrix[/name] could work in its full form if you’re OK with alliteration (which I suppose you are since you’re considering [name]Blythe[/name]) but [name]Bea[/name] Beaus would sound a little weird to me…

As for your others, I think they’re both great choices:). I guess if I had to pick a favorite, it’d be [name]Blythe[/name]. Except I think I like [name]Tessa[/name] better with your ln! Either way, your baby will have a great name.

I was about to say, “Yes, I love it!” until I read your last name. [name]How[/name] do you pronounce Beaus? I agree with the previous poster - [name]Bea[/name] Beaus is a little strange. I think [name]Tessa[/name] Beaus has the best flow, but [name]Blythe[/name] and [name]Beatrix[/name] are more of that vintage style.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I would agree, not at all a good choice with your last name, the alliteration makes it sound like a cartoon character. But I’m not a [name]Beatrix[/name] fan in general. To me, it feels like it’s trying too hard, and when I hear it I automatically have this image of a kid with rich, hipster parents and four nannies. I don’t know why, and I don’t mean to offend any [name]Beatrix[/name]-parents out there, but it’s just my personal image of the name. I much prefer [name]Beatrice[/name]- it doesn’t seem like it’s trying so hard. [name]Tessa[/name] is my favorite on your list. It’s sweet, feminine, and strong; very recognizable, but not at all common. You may also like [name]Theresa[/name] with the nn [name]Tessa[/name].

[name]Beatrix[/name]? Yes, Please!

But, [name]Bea[/name] Beaus? No no no, that’s not good at all. I think [name]Beatrix[/name] Beaus is cute (though a lot of people would probably think it was too much) and I love [name]Trixie[/name] Beaus… But if her nickname will be [name]Bea[/name], I think it’s just odd. I think [name]Blythe[/name] Beaus is better, but only marginally. You can have a B name but I think it needs at least 2 syllables, maybe three. So of the three my favorite is definitely [name]Tessa[/name]… Unless you change [name]Beatrix[/name]'s nickname.

[name]Bianca[/name] Beaus - I think this keeps the B sounds far enough apart, love this combo!
[name]Bridget[/name] Beaus- yeah, I think this is still too short

Hmm, I think with your last name, a three syllable or longer first name is ideal. These names may not be your style at all, but you can see how a longer name flows better:
[name]Odessa[/name] Beaus nn [name]Dessa[/name]/[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name] Beaus
[name]Georgiana[/name] Beaus
[name]Theresa[/name] Beaus nn [name]Tessa[/name] (I’m seconding this!)
[name]Virginia[/name] Beaus
[name]Caroline[/name] Beaus
[name]Olivia[/name] Beaus

Thank you! I TOTALLY agree with the [name]Bea[/name] Beaus comment. Never thought of that…which I why I am happy I asked. :o)

Go with [name]Tessa[/name]! It’s absolutely beautiful, has great versatility (somehow it’s the kind of name that would work on a tomboy or a princess), and it flows perfectly with your last name. It’s also friendly and familiar while being relatively uncommon.

[name]Beatrix[/name] is pretty and I can definitely see the appeal but it’s a much heavier name that carries an awful lot of issues along with it - for starters, it’s becoming rather overdone (or maybe that just here on nameberry?) and it almost sounds like you’re trying too hard; it has a sort of witchy feel to it that might be charming but might also just be odd; and it sounds terrible with your last name. If you really love it, I do think [name]Beatrice[/name] is a better choice all around - there’s still the alliteration and the fact that it ends with the same sound as your last name, but you avoid that odd x jutting into b sound and thereby make the name sound more poetic than cartoonish. [name]Beatrice[/name] also sounds more organic, somehow, and less gimmicky (especially in light of the "trendiness’ of [name]Beatrix[/name] these days). On the one hand [name]Bea[/name] Beaus doesn’t flow so great, but the alternative [name]Trixie[/name] Beaus sounds a bit like a stripper name.

Yes! I love [name]Beatrix[/name] with the nickname [name]Bea[/name]. It’s spunky and beautiful, with an almost old-womanly charm. It’s got so much fire - as does [name]Bea[/name] - and I love that about it.

Personally, I prefer it a lot over [name]Tessa[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name]. I like [name]Tess[/name], though…

But [name]Beatrix[/name] is gorgeous!

ETA: I do agree, however, that it looks - and sounds - a bit strange with Beaus. :confused:

I had every intention of coming to this thread and just posting the word “Yes” because I love [name]Beatrix[/name]. But I’m afraid not with Beaus as a last name.

[name]Tessa[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name] are lovely names (I prefer [name]Tessa[/name]), so go with one of those.

JLM your stripper comment name is hilarious! Definitely something else to consider! Thank you.

[name]Tessa[/name] seems to be the front runner and my husband LOVES it, so maybe that’s the way to go. Or, we’ll see once the baby is born whether she is a [name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Tessa[/name] or [name]Blythe[/name]. If “she” is a “he” he’ll be [name]Findley[/name].

Thanks again for all the comments! I appreciate everyone’s input.

OK, I love [name]Beatrix[/name], but I have to say [name]Bea[/name] Beaus is a bit much. I read a lot of [name]Trixie[/name] [name]Belden[/name] growing up and I don’t think of [name]Trixie[/name] as a stripper name. However, I’m in the minority so I would also go with [name]Tessa[/name].

Yeah! [name]Trixie[/name] [name]Belden[/name]! That’s why I don’t get why nobody likes [name]Trixie[/name]! She was so awesome!

YES.
We named our 5 week old [name]Beatrix[/name], nn [name]Bea[/name] and I am so in love with her name. I think you should go for it.