Beloved but unusable: Favorite names that have bit the dust

I realized after naming my son that many names were now off-limits to me. Of course I know I can choose whatever names I want but I would like there to be some cohesion in my choices.

My son’s name is [name]Rowan[/name], which is actually unisex (despite it’s overwhelming masculinity to my ears) and so I realized that from now on I pretty much need to either stick with all unisex names (not my style at all) or give my girls very feminine names to clarify.

So the plan is uber-femininity for the girls and strong but beautiful boy’s names.

Now I am in the process of mourning the loss of some names that just won’t be usable with the path I’ve chosen. :slight_smile:

Girl’s names that are out (too unisex):

[name]Haven[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]

Boy’s names that are out (too hip, too hard or just a different genre):

[name]Caden[/name]
[name]Cooper[/name]
[name]Thor[/name]
[name]Linden[/name] (too close to our last name)
[name]Oren[/name] (too close to [name]Rowan[/name])
Anything that starts with L

[name]How[/name] about you? Any names you really love that just won’t work?

I don’t have kids yet but [name]Julian[/name] is one of my favourite favourite names, but I can’t use it because I’m called [name]Julia[/name] :frowning:

Oh, I think that is even more of a reason to name your child [name]Julian[/name]!!! It could be after you, but a unique twist!! I like it… they do sound the same, but it shouldnt ever be too much of an issue, your other children will be calling you mom, so there wont be the confusing “who are they talking too?” and any of his friends teachers, so on… will be calling you “Mrs. __” you know what I mean???
I named my daughter, [name]Savanna[/name], after my mother [name]ANNA[/name].

As for me, I am currentely pregnant, and I have realized my female-naming choices have changed dramatically since naming [name]Savanna[/name], and with any future girls I have, I would prefer they ahve a more unisex name… (Chyler, [name]Spencer[/name]… are names Im liking) ut because [name]Savanna[/name] is so overfly a femine name, Im afraid they wont “go”… also, I am having multiples, so I also think unisex names will be confusing… like who is who???

I love the name [name]Molly[/name] but my child’s last name will be [name]Kelly[/name] so it’s out.

Eron for middle name :slight_smile:

what do you think about Kailas, Jaser, [name]Avidan[/name], [name]Avalon[/name] and ASAEL (oh ilove that)

and for girls: Bellissima nn [name]Bella[/name], means beautiful in [name]Italy[/name]

I have so many!

• Anything that ends in -er, which is a lot of my faves, because my last name ends in -er and it sounds funny to me.
  • [name]Julius[/name], because my sister in law is [name]Julie[/name] and I think that’d be confusing
  • [name]Dodge[/name], because my son is [name]Dash[/name] and that is too silly. But i [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Dodge[/name].
  • [name]Dinah[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], and anything else that starts with D. :frowning:
  • [name]Violet[/name], because [name]Dash[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] are the siblings in The Incredibles.
  • [name]Edward[/name], because it’s my FIL’s father, and he wasn’t a worthy namesake
  • [name]Arthur[/name], because it’s my grandma’s father, and he wasn’t a worthy namesake, either
  • [name]Beckett[/name], because my last name is [name]Becker[/name].

And that’s just off the top of my head!

I have so many!

• Anything that ends in -er, which is a lot of my faves, because my last name ends in -er and it sounds funny to me.
  • [name]Julius[/name], because my sister in law is [name]Julie[/name] and I think that’d be confusing
  • [name]Dodge[/name], because my son is [name]Dash[/name] and that is too silly. But i [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Dodge[/name].
  • [name]Dinah[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], and anything else that starts with D. :frowning:
  • [name]Violet[/name], because [name]Dash[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] are the siblings in The Incredibles.
  • [name]Edward[/name], because it’s my FIL’s father, and he wasn’t a worthy namesake
  • [name]Arthur[/name], because it’s my grandma’s father, and he wasn’t a worthy namesake, either

I have so many!

We have a great guest blog coming up next week on this topic – great one!

Because of my last name I would rule out

• most names that start with B
  • any names that end with a T

Other considerations

• DH isn’t a big fan of [name]Nadia[/name], which is one of my top names–he likes [name]Natasha[/name], though, which is a good compromise
  • [name]Seth[/name] is now off the table since my sister’s naming her son [name]Seth[/name] (it wasn’t an all-time favorite but I would have considered it)

[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Briony[/name]
[name]Frankie[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]

Boys

[name]Alfie[/name]
[name]Fred[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]