Benjamin without "Ben"?

Berries

Finally finally we have settled on a name for [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]'s brother. After months of angst and trying to find a name as unique as our son’s, we both fell in love with a top 20 name: [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]. Middle name will be [name_u]Winter[/name_u], so [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u].

Here’s the thing: we plan to call him [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] NOT [name_m]Ben[/name_m] (unless he decides otherwise when he’s older). It’s a beautiful name that despite its popularity, goes great with [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] we think. Is this even possible?

Bonus question: assuming we follow through on our plan to go with [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] (and it just FEELS right so I think we will)…does the fact that everyone in our famil will now have names starting with A or B mean that we are forced into using the same first initial for a future third child?

Thank you!!!

I adore that name! I think as long as you reinforced to friends/family that he is to be called [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] it will be fine. He will eventually be called [name_m]Ben[/name_m] when he’s older (unless he corrects the people otherwise). It just takes some reinforced effort on your part when he is little.

I don’t think you would be stuck doing the “A” “B” theme unless you decide to go that route. Especially if you have a girl, her name would be less expected to be tied and matched with her brothers.

Beautiful name!

It is perfectly possible for you to call him [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], I’m sure. As long as you’re ready for the possibility that you might have to start calling him [name_m]Ben[/name_m] when he’s older, which it sounds like you are, I don’t see the problem! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you never use a short version of your first son’s name? If you don’t, then I guess you’re not the sort of people who feel the need to shorten names :wink: Myself I would find it very hard to call a child a 3-syllable name all the time, but that’s just who I am, I’m a nickname fan!

I don’t think the A B thing is even a thing. A lot of people probably wouldn’t even notice it. I wouldn’t worry about it for a second.

My son [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] is NEVER [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. We told family from the beginning that it wasn’t allowed. A few strangers or acquaintances have tried, and I just say “oh it’s [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] not [name_m]Ben[/name_m].” That has only happened a couple of times.

No, you aren’t tied to an A B theme!

I love [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]! I think a lot of people like [name_m]Benji[/name_m] (I don’t, but many do). I tend to like [name_m]Ben[/name_m], actually, but when it was my top choice for a boy, I wanted him to be just [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], too. I just thought it was too gorgeous to shorten to the trite [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. Besides [name_m]Ben/name_m, what about [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] or [name_m]Mino[/name_m]/Minho? I’m not terribly fond of Minho, just because it seems too tied to Minho from The Maze Runner series, but I love the sound, and I think [name_m]Mino[/name_m] is pretty cool.

I agree that you’re not tied to an alphabet theme, too!

Thanks all!!

I don’t like [name_m]Benji[/name_m] either. We kind of do need a nickname of some sort though snce we do call [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] [name_m]Augie[/name_m] sometimes. Ideas for other nicknames?

My husband and I have first names starting with A and B too - does that change anything? :slight_smile:

Thank you!!!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] and [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. I don’t think it will be an issue. You’ll have to reinforce it with some people, but I feel like many people also use the name that is given so if you say “this is [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]” a lot of people will adhere to it …and some won’t. A gentle correction is all that is needed, and that goes for many a name. My little sister is [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] and she refused to be anything but [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] as a child, and people caught on not to shorten it to [name_f]Becca[/name_f].

A / B I didn’t notice. If I had I wouldn’t think you’re locked into a theme, though overall it’s cute that you all share the same initials. I don’t think if you have a third child he/she will feel left out.

[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] nn [name_m]Jim[/name_m], [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m], [name_u]Jem[/name_u] all seem fairly intuitive to me. There’s also [name_u]Bennie[/name_u], but might be too “[name_m]Ben[/name_m]” ish? [name_m]Augie[/name_m] and [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m] or [name_m]Augie[/name_m] and [name_u]Jem[/name_u] is pretty cute.

[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] is such a handsome name! Goes nicely with [name_m]Augustin[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]. If you, your husband, and big brother all call him [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] I’m sure people will catch on with no nickname. I don’t think you’d be “tied” to a theme because of the boys names or your own.

I’m just going to throw any nicknames I can think of out there…
[name_u]Jem[/name_u]
[name_m]Jim[/name_m]/[name_m]Jimmy[/name_m]
[name_u]Jamie[/name_u]
[name_m]Jamin[/name_m]- friend of my family is named [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] and he goes by [name_m]Jamin[/name_m]

These two are more of a stretch but I see them as more of a universal nn for a B name like [name_m]Mac[/name_m] can be for M names…
[name_u]Barry[/name_u]- [name_u]Barry[/name_u] and [name_m]Augie[/name_m] are perfect! At least to me. :slight_smile:
[name_m]Banks[/name_m]

I wouldn’t have even thought of the A/B thing if you hadn’t pointed it out - not an issue at all. As far as [name_m]Ben[/name_m]/[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] is concerned, I can certainly understand having a strong preference of one over the other. Keep in mind, though, that you really only have control over it until he starts school. There’s a good possibility that his friends and teachers are going to make him [name_m]Ben[/name_m] no matter how many times you chant “[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], not [name_m]Ben[/name_m].” Nicknames are like that. I would just be sure that you can live with [name_m]Ben[/name_m] if it does happen earlier than you and your husband want it to.

We know boys whose names are [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] and [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m], and they go by their full names. It’s never been an issue. I can’t imagine calling them [name_u]Chris[/name_u] or [name_m]Jon[/name_m]-it’s just not who they are. I don’t think you’ll have a problem.

Thank you all SO much for your comments :slight_smile: I feel so so so much better about the A B thing now; the Berries approve :slight_smile:

And I love many of the nicknames you suggest; [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] is even a family name!! I didn’t realize you were suggesting nicknames at first, I thought you were suggesting entirely new names but now I get it: look to the middle and end of [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] for his nickname :slight_smile: Or maybe something entirely unrelated to his name will catch on! It’s not that we don’t like [name_m]Ben[/name_m], it’s just super common so if he’s going to be [name_m]Ben[/name_m] one day we want that to be HIS decision rather than ours.

Thanks again!!!

I know a [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] who I call Benzo or [name_m]Jamin[/name_m] or [name_u]Jamie[/name_u]. But [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] in it’s full glory is awesome! It gets shortened too much. :stuck_out_tongue:

I like [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]! Fun story: two of my cousins (they are sisters) are dating boys named [name_m]Ben/name_m. The other sister is dating a [name_m]Ken/name_m. [name_m]Ben[/name_m], [name_m]Ben[/name_m] & [name_m]Ken[/name_m]! [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] is fun :slight_smile: Haha.

I wouldn’t worry about the [name_m]AB[/name_m] thing. If the next child is a girl, then you can forget it entirely without a worry. If it’s a boy, you can stick with [name_m]AB[/name_m], give him a name that starts with C ([name_m]Augustin[/name_m], [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] & C- - [name_m]Columbus[/name_m]?), or just go wild and pick whatever you like, ([name_m]Augustin[/name_m], [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] & [name_u]Tobin[/name_u] works just fine.) I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

@caymangirl - oh, no, sorry! I was definitely suggesting nicknames for [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]. :slight_smile: I’ve heard [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] suggested a couple times on other [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]-but-not-[name_m]Ben[/name_m] threads, and I think it’s rather ingenuous. :slight_smile: [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about [name_m]Beau[/name_m] or [name_u]Bo[/name_u]? I remember someone saying [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] nn [name_u]Bo[/name_u] before, too, and I rather like that. I think [name_m]Augie[/name_m] and [name_u]Bo[/name_u]/[name_m]Augustin[/name_m] and [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] are really perfect together. Spunky and vintage and masculine. :slight_smile:

You guys are awesome!!! Thank you!!! :slight_smile: It’s SO good to finally feel completely at ease about his name!!! Two weeks today and he will be here wooohoooooo!!! :slight_smile: