Berry Familar VS Reality Unfamiliar

So I occured to me that names become more familar than ever once your on here. Ill use [name_f]Vera[/name_f] as a example, shes #500 so she isnt really unheard of but on here she is definitely known. So when shes mentioned you don’t have much of a oh! how unique feeling…

Now if she wad introduced outside of nameberry in the real world where names are of people & not lists Im curious how familar she actually is.

A better example is [name_f]Callista[/name_f], in reality I can see reactions like wow! Never heard that before, since really shes unfamilar. But on here to the berries shes well know & reputable.

It seems like this is common on the site (to a extent of course) & I was just curious of others thoughts ?

I totally agree with you! Another one is [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]. I’ve never met a seraphina, but on ere she’s very well known!

I think there are some names on nameberry that outside users will say “oh, I love that”!, but so many would have you looking at big wide eyes. For me, I don’t want a very popular name, but I don’t want a “weird” name either. It is trying to find that balance. So many people have trouble seeing beyond [name_f]Ava[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and will see nameberry choices as very odd.

I do agree with you - although some berry familiar names are reality familiar names to me as I live in an area where quite a number of people have names that are unique to the general population. For example, I know a [name_f]Callista[/name_f], an [name_f]Adalina[/name_f], an [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], and [name_f]Antigone[/name_f], an [name_m]Orlando[/name_m], a [name_m]Santino[/name_m], a [name_f]Betsy[/name_f], a [name_f]Pippi[/name_f], an [name_f]Anika[/name_f], a [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], a [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]… ([name_f]Annika[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] are sisters in their teen years.)

[name_f]One[/name_f] of my favorites [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is very popular on nameberry and its top 40 in my state but my mum finds it an old lady name.

I do know people with some berry favorites as there names like 2 Annikas a [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and 3 Alices.

In real life I either see names that are completely unexpected and unfamiliar, or at the very top of the national popularity charts. I rarely see names that hover in the middle, which I think is strange. For example, I recently met a [name_f]Melina[/name_f], a [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Bella[/name_f], a boy named [name_m]Royal[/name_m], and [name_m]Cristobal[/name_m]. I’ve never met anyone with most of the berry familiar names, like [name_f]Esme[/name_f] or [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]. A lot of the current berry fav’s are family names to me, like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and [name_f]Esther[/name_f], so I don’t like them very much. For my own kids I would like to use something extremely rare and legit. In a way I kind of want to revive an old name, like Sabelina, a medieval name.

Right! I feel like people on Nameberry have their own world & different appreciation of names across all parts of the world. So many names I’ve never heard before are so common they almost become plain it seems on here. . I never really meet anyone outside the box, I met a Marlenny & loved it because I was so tired of samantha ashley courtney ect

I agree, many of the names I love are unheard of in my state, but on nameberry they’re brought up quite often. My mum thinks names like [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], [name_f]Savannah[/name_f], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f] etc. are all very “out there.” I guess its different for me because I live in Australia as well. But people always say about the popularity of names like [name_f]Alice[/name_f] - I have only ever met one [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in my life… and it was last semester in uni! I think popularity is difficult to determine, especially because its unlikely that you’ll meet every popular name out there. I’ve seen two [name_f]Ava[/name_f]'s, one Ayda (Prn. [name_f]Ada[/name_f],) and one [name_f]Mia[/name_f], as well as a gorgeous little [name_f]Celine[/name_f], a Shylah and a [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u].

Yeah I agree it difficult to assume popularity & if another with the same name will be in your future. But I feel like even if you haven’t met them the popularity seems like familar overkill. Like I never met a sophia but I hear it all the time!

I grew up having no one with a similar name & loved that it wad unique. My name now is dipping into the 300 spot & I still never met one. You mentioned [name_f]Ava[/name_f] & [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], I know 2-3 little aidens I still think its cute but im beginning to hate [name_f]Ava[/name_f] & similar names I heard so many people naming their kids that already! Poor kids will be like wheres Ava4 at?

I agree completely. I like looking at names in these forums to get ideas and then I look up the vital statistics website for my province that lists popular baby names born in each year to make sure it’s not too popular where I live. Quite often I will see a name pop up on several lists on nameberry and think “wow, that’s popular” and then realize that it’s almost unheard of in my area. All I really care about is that my kids don’t share their names with two other kids in their class at school like I did growing up.

Agree!

And I get “tired” of names before I should because of a distorted sense of popularity.

For example, I don’t recall having ever met a young [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], but the name seems rather old hat to me because it comes up on Nameberry quite frequently.

On the other hand, it has a lot to do with what cliques you run in? In our neighbourhood, vintage names are really popular, so no one would bat an eye at a little [name_f]Lucille[/name_f].

Most of the names in my signature, especially the boys’ names, would be considered very unusual or even unheard of where I live. Some of my friends think [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is totally unusable- and it’s in the top 100 on the SSA list! It’s hard to get a good figure on popularity since Canadian stats are hard to find. Names like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] or [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] seem normal to me, but are way out there for many people I know.

I guess I subjectively distinguish between “normal” and “common”. Normal is something I find totally usable and familiar (names like [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] or [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] that I see a lot on Nameberry but not necessarily much in real life). Common is a name I know many people with [name_m]IRL[/name_m].

Couldn’t agree more!!! [name_m]Even[/name_m] if a name is near the top of the charts, it doesn’t mean it is necessarily heard in your circle or community. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if a name is heard on occasion in your area or rising in general, if you love it, I say go for it! I think that [name_m]George[/name_m] will become more popular because of the royal baby, but we would still consider using it because it is a strong, meaningful name to us.

I don’t rely on Nameberry for popularity statistics. It is too small and a biased sample. Since I live in the states, I look at SSA data… ourbabynamer.com under the popularity tab is the first place I go since it nicely summarizes the SSA data. State-specific data can also be found on the SSA website. Additionally, the whitepages website has a nice name popularity section which can be very helpful. Google “whitepages name popularity” to find it (the only downside is that it only goes through 2011). To decide whether a name’s popularity level is acceptable, I figure that 4 million babies (2 million girls and 2 million boys) are born every year in the U.S. Then I figure out about how many babies will be given the name that we are considering…“1 out of every x babies” or “one out of every x girls/boys” aka I predict the ratio.

I totally agree with you!

Names commonly used on nameberry like [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], and [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] aren’t common in real life, in fact, they’re the total opposite of common they’re uncommon. In the real world they are considered unique. If nameberry state that a name is becoming popular I would believe that the name is just entering between #300 - #500 which in my eyes isn’t popular. A name is popular if it’s in the top 100, and not nameberry top 100.

For sure. When discussing potential baby names, people I know always comment that they’ve never heard of that name, while to me they’re starting to feel tired and common. Perspective, berries! :smiley: I’m so guilty of eliminating a name because I’ve heard it a million times and I’m sick to death of it. SO always looks at me like I’ve gone nuts when I say I changed my mind about a name because it’s getting too common. [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]! I went on a rant about [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] becoming too common the other night. He gave me the “you are completely insane” look and I shut up.

I’m glad I’m not alone I love everyones unique suggestions & signatures they even gave me a new appreciation. Like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] for States or at least around me would be considered odd & possibly unattractive but her unfamiliarity & uniqueness not to mention great meaning made me really enjoy her. …

That’s another thing people don’t just know the meanings of our names or look them up. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if we tell them the meaning they are still judging the name based off of the sound which bums me out because like all good names with bad meaning Id hate to give them to a child regardless if 95% of people had no idea

Yes, nameberry can give you a warped perspective. People warn you off about names becoming too trendy - [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] springs to mind - when I’ve never met an [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] in real life, ever.
I also notice a funny divide between US and UK posters. For example the poster above me mentioned [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], which tends to be thought of on Nameberry as something rather exotic by the majority of berries who come from the US. In the UK, it’s a top 50 name. I’m from NZ not the UK, but our naming style tends to much more closely follow that of the UK rather than the US. [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] and [name_u]Everett[/name_u] are two names in particular which seem to be American nameberry favourites which don’t really wash so well in NZ.