Best '20s Names ”

In honouring of upcoming 2020…

What are your favourite names from the 1920s? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think they are due a revival?

Which 20s inspired name would you give a boy or girl born in 2020?

I’m going to choose [name_m]Edwin[/name_m] [name_u]Rex[/name_u] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f].

Thanks,
x

[name_m]Clyde[/name_m], [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], or [name_u]Curtis[/name_u] for boys, [name_f]Lois[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] for girls

As combos, [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] or [name_u]Curtis[/name_u] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_f]Lois[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]

There were so many great names in the 20s, but if I had to choose I’d go for [name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m].

I would pick:
[name_f]Vera[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] and [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]

[name_f]Zelda[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]!

[name_f]Irene[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] & [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] [name_m]Victor[/name_m]
I suppose [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m] is due a revival in the mid-2020s.

[name_f]Edie[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and [name_u]Rex[/name_u] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] are my ultimate favourites

The 1920s really had some of the best names: [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Constance[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] and [name_m]Ernest[/name_m], [name_m]Harry[/name_m], [name_u]Stanley[/name_u], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_u]Sidney[/name_u], [name_m]Victor[/name_m], [name_u]Percy[/name_u], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m], [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], [name_m]Edgar[/name_m].

From the UK top 10s:

1920 - 1: Mary, Elizabeth, Anna
1922: Elizabeth and Anna
1923: Mary and Elizabeth
1924: Mary
1925: Mary and Elizabeth
1926 - 9: Mary and Maria

And from the top 100, I also love Rose, Lily, Ada, Emily, Beatrice, May, Mabel, Catherine, Eva, Louisa, Amy, Grace, Evelyn, Hannah, Kate, Nora, Charlotte, Caroline, Amelia, Eveline, Rosina, Lydia, Ruby, Victoria, Henrietta, Isabel, Matilda, Phoebe, Marie, Selina, Georgina, Helena, Leah, Cecilia, Lena, Flora, Josephine, Adelaide, Sophia, Lottie, Sylvia, Theresa, Rosie, Madeline, Harriett, Marguerite, Dorothea, Adeline, Letitia, Emmeline and Leonora.

For boys it’s John, George, Thomas, James, Arthur, Frederick, Charles, Albert, Joseph, Alfred, Henry, Harry, Samuel, David, Victor, Edgar, Daniel, Peter, Hugh, Isaac, Edmund, Louis, Ivor, Abraham, Owen, Oliver, Jesse, Reuben, Alec, Jacob, Jonathan, Leo, Ellis, Solomon, Cornelius, Nicholas, Augustus, Josiah, Timothy, Amos, Elijah, Idris, Nathaniel, Theodore, Emmanuel, Felix, Ephraim and Oscar.

For combinations I’d do Eva Charlotte, Rose Josephine, Emily Beatrice and Matilda Caroline and Leo Arthur, Henry Frederick, Emmanuel Felix and Cornelius Owen for the boys.

The list is here: https://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2012/08/top-200-most-popular-names-in-england-and-wales-1900.html

I was quite surprised by some of the names on the list; especially Selina and Idris - I didn’t realise they had vintage usage.

I think this era is where the majority of my favourite names gained in popularity, but I think they’re my favourites due to their use within my family!

[name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Mildred[/name_f], [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Blodwen[/name_f], [name_f]Mona[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Archibald[/name_m], [name_m]Percival[/name_m], [name_m]Morris[/name_m], [name_m]Oswald[/name_m], [name_m]Clement[/name_m], [name_m]Enoch[/name_m], [name_m]Basil[/name_m], [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Gwilym[/name_m], [name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m], [name_m]Amos[/name_m], [name_m]Lancelot[/name_m], [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] and [name_u]Elias[/name_u].

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Ernest[/name_m]

I would love [name_f]Lois[/name_f] to make a comeback - such a great name that still seems too tied to Superman. [name_f]Irene[/name_f] and [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] are wonderful names too.

I like a lot of boys names from this time but top 3 at the moment would be [name_m]Edgar[/name_m], [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m].

I think a lot of the popular names of the 1920’s have already been recently revived, such as [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_m]Louis[/name_m].

I can see the following 1920’s inspired names making their way slowly back up charts in the next few years: [name_f]Opal[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_f]Fern[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Maxine[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], [name_m]Forrest[/name_m], [name_m]Harvey[/name_m], [name_u]Sidney[/name_u], [name_m]Dewey[/name_m], [name_m]Luther[/name_m], [name_m]Roland[/name_m] & [name_m]Victor[/name_m].

If I had to pick one for each gender to use on children tomorrow they’d be [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] (these are based on top 50 baby names for each gender from 1920-1929 in the US).

[name_f]Constance[/name_f] is a really beautiful name and so underrated. And the nickname [name_u]Connie[/name_u] is so darling. I like this name with the middle name [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. [name_f]Constance[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. Isn’t that lovely? I also like the names [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], and [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

For boys, I like the names [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_m]Fred[/name_m], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and [name_m]Philip[/name_m]. I like the middle name [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. Cool, isn’t it? And [name_m]Art[/name_m] is such a cute nickname.

The 1920s really did have some beautiful names and I can’t believe more people aren’t using them!

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f]

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_m]Archibald[/name_m], [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Charles[/name_m]

[name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Marie[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_f]Sara[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Faye[/name_f].

[name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Forrest[/name_m].