Best unusual name you've ever heard?

It may be a name you’d never consider for your own child or only as a middle name, but what’s the greatest uncommon name you’ve heard?

Please don’t include overly silly ones like [name]Moon[/name] Unit Zappa and be sure to state whether it’s for a boy or girl or name one for each gender.

The great beach volleyball player [name]Christopher[/name] [name]St[/name]. [name]John[/name] [name]Smith[/name] was better known as [name]Sinjin[/name] [name]Smith[/name]. I understand [name]Sinjin[/name] is a shortening of [name]St[/name]. [name]John[/name] used in [name]England[/name]. Pretty unusual over here and really cool for a beach volleyball player. [name]Sinjin[/name].

I went to school with an Avenlea ([name]Ah[/name]-ven-lee) a girl:) I really like the name and this spelling:)

The great beach volleyball player [name]Christopher[/name] [name]St[/name]. [name]John[/name] [name]Smith[/name] was better known as [name]Sinjin[/name] [name]Smith[/name]. I understand [name]Sinjin[/name] is a shortening of [name]St[/name]. [name]John[/name] used in [name]England[/name]. Pretty unusual over here and really cool for a beach volleyball player. [name]Sinjin[/name].[/quote]

[name]Sinjin[/name] is the phonetic spelling. In old-time [name]England[/name] [name]St[/name] [name]John[/name] was actually pronounced ‘sin-jin’ rather than ‘saint_john’. There is a character in [name]Jane[/name] Eyre who is [name]St[/name] [name]John[/name] (sinjin).
There are several strange but historical pronunciations in [name]England[/name] that have been handed down the ages and didn’t really change until the 20th century. Some in [name]England[/name], usually the upper class, still use these old pronunciations:

[name]Sophia[/name] (so-FYE-a) – This is how it should be/was pronounced in [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name]'s Persuasion and is used by the actress [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Myles[/name].
[name]Maria[/name] (ma-[name]RYE[/name]-a) – ditto for Pride & Prejudice
[name]Georgiana[/name] – (sometimes jor-[name]JAY[/name]-na)
[name]Ralph[/name] (rayf) – ala [name]Ralph[/name] Fiennes

I have heard of Girl’s named
Agape Reigning and Tetley (I like Tetley)

I went to school with a girl named Zayra (zai-ra) and her sister’s name is Cathia (cathy-uh). I really love both of their names. I also went to school with a Tamberlyn, which her parents made up and I always thought was cool. I went to school with a lot of interesting names, like [name]Zulema[/name], Xotchil (pronounced So-chee), [name]Indira[/name], [name]Arcadia[/name], [name]Isis[/name], [name]Issa[/name] (ee-suh), Inna (ee-nuh), Jericha, Micol nn [name]Mimi[/name] (and her sister [name]Chiara[/name]), [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Topaz[/name] (sisters), [name]Rhea[/name] (ray-uh). I guess I’m lucky to know a lot of people with cool names!

I used to go to summer camp with a lot of kids with cool names. My favorites were [name]Crosby[/name] and [name]Rainer[/name] (both girls). I would totally name our child [name]Crosby[/name] but DH won’t have it. [name]Casimir[/name] (or [name]Casimer[/name]) is a fairly rare boys name that I heart but DH, not so much.

When I first heard “[name]Dax[/name]” it was on a little girl and I absolutely loved it. I have since become more familiar with this name, although always on boys.

I went to high school with a girl named [name]Tirzah[/name] (Teer-za) and I still [name]LOVE[/name] this name but wonder if it a jewish name? I would absolutely use this for a future daughter.

I have a cousin named [name]Tuckerman[/name] - after [name]Tuckerman[/name]'s [name]Ravine[/name], on Mt. [name]Washington[/name]. They call him [name]Tuck[/name], I thought it was pretty cool:)

his sister on the other hand is named Angelea - pron. [name]Angel[/name]-ay which I think is pretty awful.

[name]WILLA[/name]

At some point in my childhood, I knew four sisters who all had names their parents made up. I can’t remember 3 of them, but one was Timbre ([name]Tim[/name]-bray). Her name always stuck with me. As a child I didn’t make the connection between this name and the word “timber”, and I would never use this on a child. It must have made quite the impact on me, though, because I remember it 20 years later!

I knew a little girl named Elfine…it was pretty cool but she was always having to correct people’s pronounciation of it.
I also knew an [name]Alastair[/name] (not super unusual but I was sooo glad to see it used) and a [name]Raisa[/name].

I am glad to hear someone else likes [name]Crosby[/name]!

The most unusual names of people I’ve known that I actually like are: [name]Zayna[/name], Aeowyn (AY-o-win), [name]Capri[/name], Kjell (TCH-el), Gier, [name]Dax[/name] (x2 - one is 17, the other late 20s, I think), Torfin, [name]Marko[/name], brothers [name]Miller[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name] & [name]Dempsey[/name] (mom’s and both grandma’s maiden names)

[name]Zephyr[/name] (Zef - er) always thought this was cool for a boy. I know a baby with this name.

Zeffren

Some people in my life with unusual names are; Sachi, [name]Taj[/name], Masumi, [name]Tyne[/name], Nelun, Ayako, Ghia, Kimin, [name]Marjo[/name], [name]Rex[/name], Tamille & [name]Tova[/name]. I think they all have great names!

[name]Melisande[/name]

I’ve heard a fair few unusual names, especially as I used to work as a teacher. One I have heard a couple of times over here (in [name]England[/name]) is [name]Lettice[/name], which I know many people find strange.

I have also met an [name]Omega[/name] (last?) and a Belladonna (which would be a pretty name, without the connection).

My youngest cousin is called [name]October[/name]. He is ten now, and they call hin Occy. Two of my aunts are [name]Prudence[/name] ([name]Pru[/name]) and [name]Modesty[/name] (who goes by her middle name, [name]Helen[/name]).

Tetley is cool - but is a big brand of tea here in the UK - so out for me.

My friend is considering [name]Marmaduke[/name] for her boy, nn [name]Duke[/name]…