Between these 2 names...

Which do you like better…[name]Isla[/name] or [name]Francesca[/name]?

Popularity definitely is a factor for me, as is trendiness. And I love how they are both completely different names.

Give me your honest opinons :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Isla[/name] a lot. It’s simple and feminine, clean and happy. But it without a doubt is the trendier of the two and I think it’s destined for mega popularity.

Now, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]! It’s been one of my favorite names for as long as I can remember. It’s just amazing in every way. So beautiful and feminine but also professional for an adult. [name]Francie[/name], [name]Frankie[/name], [name]Chess[/name], [name]Fifi[/name], etc. make it fit any type of girl. I just think it’s a fantastic name… Also I think F is a way cool initial than I.

I like both. I agree that [name]Isla[/name] is destined to be mega popular, it has the traits of [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Isabella[/name] all in one. I don’t think I’d class [name]Isla[/name] as trendy, it is still lowish on charts but I’m sure it’ll reach at least top 20.
[name]Francesca[/name] is nice. Very sophisticated and has a classy aura about it. I like [name]Fifi[/name] for a little girl, [name]Frankie[/name] for a child/teen and Cesca is nice too. I think [name]Isla[/name] is more likely to date than [name]Francesca[/name], along with the rest of “la” names. I imagine [name]Francesca[/name] on a dark haired girl that is petite and has a slightly mysterious beauty about her.

I like both. I agree that [name]Isla[/name] is destined to be mega popular, it has the traits of [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Isabella[/name] all in one. I don’t think I’d class [name]Isla[/name] as trendy, it is still lowish on charts but I’m sure it’ll reach at least top 20.
[name]Francesca[/name] is nice. Very sophisticated and has a classy aura about it. I like [name]Fifi[/name] for a little girl, [name]Frankie[/name] for a child/teen and Cesca is nice too. I think [name]Isla[/name] is more likely to date than [name]Francesca[/name], along with the rest of “la” names. I imagine [name]Francesca[/name] on a dark haired girl that is petite and has a slightly mysterious beauty about her.

If trendiness is a factor, I would not go with [name]Isla[/name]. It shot up the charts to the 300s in just two years. It is a lovely name, though, but one to avoid if you don’t like trendiness. [name]Francesca[/name] is a beautiful name! I prefer it over [name]Isla[/name] anyway.

[name]Francesca[/name].

[name]Isla[/name] is certainly more popular (I think), but I just really love [name]Francesca[/name] for its classic, feminine and almost innocent feeling. It’s just got a sort of loveliness, a power, that I think is really stunning. [name]Francesca[/name] is breathtaking, and it has many nickname options.

I would shy away from [name]Isla[/name]. I used to really like it when I first heard it but I agree with everyone else that it is doomed to become extremely popular and then suddenly unfashionable and tired. I love the sound and the feel of [name]Francesca[/name] and wish I could add it to my list but I have never liked the nn’s [name]Fran[/name] or [name]Franny[/name]. They remind me of fanny-packs for some reason. Which nickname would you use? Overall I would definitely say go with [name]Francesca[/name]. It has a full, well-rounded and beautiful sound next to [name]Isla[/name], which I can’t see working well on anyone beyond their 20’s, really.

I like [name]Isla[/name] better than [name]Francesca[/name]. As far as it’s increased popularity is concerned, it’s my belief that it won’t reach the heights in popularity of names like [name]Emma[/name], [name]Ava[/name] and the like so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I have always preferred the classic name of [name]Frances[/name] much more than [name]Francesca[/name] which seems more trendy in sound to me than the original.

Curious why you don’t see [name]Isla[/name] becoming really popular… It’s got all the appeal of [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name], and all the really popular girls names, really. And as someone already said, it’s jumped up the charts like crazy already.

Also, [name]Francesca[/name] is Italian… It’s not like it’s not the original, it’s just from a different culture than [name]Frances[/name].

I love both names so this is tough. I agree that [name]Isla[/name] has a chance to become super-popular…but then again it might not. [name]Francesca[/name] does seem to be more classic and doubt will ever be in the top 100. So if this is a major concern , I would choose [name]Francesca[/name]. If not, I would consider middle names that you love and pair up nicely as well. good luck!

[name]Both[/name] are nice, but I much prefer [name]Francesca[/name]. Plus, [name]Francesca[/name] has a ton of great nicknames- I love the nn [name]Kessa[/name].

Curious why you don’t see [name]Isla[/name] becoming really popular… It’s got all the appeal of [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name], and all the really popular girls names, really. And as someone already said, it’s jumped up the charts like crazy already.

Also, [name]Francesca[/name] is Italian… It’s not like it’s not the original, it’s just from a different culture than [name]Frances[/name].[/quote]
As per this Nameberry site, here are the statistics that I could find on [name]Isla[/name]:
It is #2 in Aberdeenshire, [name]Scotland[/name].
It is #346 in 2009 (where? US or UK?)
It is 35th as per a UK survey of the most name searches this year. Searching for names does not mean that the name will be chosen in the end.
My personal experience: (1) Alot of people outside of the Nameberry world haven’t even heard of the name; (2) Alot of the people who have heard it (eg. actress [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name]) still have trouble pronouncing and/or spelling it.
In my opinion, it may rise but not to the extent of [name]Emma[/name] ,[name]Ava[/name] and other similar type names.
I realize that [name]Frances[/name] is Latin and [name]Francesca[/name] is Italian. I just prefer [name]Frances[/name]. It all comes down to an individual’s preference.

Also, [name]Francesca[/name] is Italian… It’s not like it’s not the original, it’s just from a different culture than [name]Frances[/name].[/quote]
As per this Nameberry site, here are the statistics that I could find on [name]Isla[/name]:
It is #2 in Aberdeenshire, [name]Scotland[/name].
It is #346 in 2009 (where? US or UK?)
It is 35th as per a UK survey of the most name searches this year. Searching for names does not mean that the name will be chosen in the end.
My personal experience: (1) Alot of people outside of the Nameberry world haven’t even heard of the name; (2) Alot of the people who have heard it (eg. actress [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name]) still have trouble pronouncing and/or spelling it.
In my opinion, it may rise but not to the extent of [name]Emma[/name] ,[name]Ava[/name] and other similar type names.
I realize that [name]Frances[/name] is Latin and [name]Francesca[/name] is Italian. I just prefer [name]Frances[/name]. It all comes down to an individual’s preference.[/quote]

Actually, [name]Isla[/name] is huge everywhere, not just online. I thought at first that it was just popular on message boards, such as this. But now I’ve met a few babies named [name]Isla[/name]. And it breaks my heart that it’s getting so popular! But I think it’ll be top 100 for 2010. sigh

If you’re concerned about popularity, I most certainly would not choose [name]Isla[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name] name, but I think it’s headed for mass popularity, unfortunately. :frowning: