Beyond Mama and Daddy - Names for Non-Binary Parent

I realize I’m late to the party, but as bébé isn’t talking yet (and I didn’t see a resolution posted) I thought I’d throw in another suggestion. Since you kind of like [name_f]Nomi[/name_f] but it reminded you of a sibling, what about Nama or [name_f]Noma[/name_f]?

Hey, it’s never too late to the party.

We’ve decided on “Ooma” or “Uma”, short for “Umami” (and there’s definitely been jokes about me being the “fifth flavour” as a nonbinary/trans/genderfluid individual).

[name_m]Per[/name_m] my wonderful friend who knows the IPA phonetics, it’s pronounced “uːmə”.

I really appreciate all the suggestions, and the name was in part constructed around sounds that are easy for baby Nugget to make…they definitely have the “ooo” and “mmm” sounds, but are also rapidly picking up other sounds, even clicks and little huff/whistle noises.

I admit to being completely unprepared for how many different sounds they make, and @lavenderwitch has it down to a science of what it all means…I’m still working on distinguishing between fussy-tired cry and something-is-uncomfortable cry.

…living and learning, it’s been a wonderful, wild, and completely sleep-deprived three months with our baby.

Thank you everyone who has been a part of this process, in every way.

9 Likes

Oh my gosh, what!?!? Your baby is so old and smart and advanced :sob::sob::sob::sob::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart::green_heart: so amazing to hear. Mazels to y’all again!

1 Like

I like this suggestion!

That was really sweet :sparkles:

I think that certainly would sound a bit unfamiliar, way too formal, and just not right. I wish they had made something for us non-binaries too :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve always had difficulties with what to call myself. I didn’t feel a woman’s name was my own. Nicknames didn’t stick to me, although in the environment where I communicated — I’m a role player — different nicknames were common. But inwardly, I felt nameless. When it became necessary to introduce myself by a male name, I also had difficulties. I liked a lot of men’s names. This name must sound similar to my female one. The point here is not so much the “convenience of habituation.” It’s just that my parents chose the name for me, and it’s, in a sense, a gift. Now when I think about how the child will call me, it seems that it would be easier to answer these questions than to come up with what the child will call you

I’m not non-binary, but my little family members call me [name_f]Lolo[/name_f], which was my nickname as a kid. [name_f]My[/name_f] sisters go by Rara (pronounced [name_u]Ray[/name_u] Ray) and Cheychey (SHY-shy). :sob: All just childhood nicknames that sound vaguely parental.