Biblical Inspired Word Names

So, our little guy is [name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and if he ever gets a little brother, we’ll pick whichever first name we like the most.
But for a middle name… I really want a strong a strong name like [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] (inspired by [name_m]Jesus[/name_m], the Good [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]).

Has anyone got any ideas for word names with faith related meanings? Or even just names that go with [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]?

I’m not looking for obscure biblical names or even place names like [name_u]Jericho[/name_u]; what comes to mind?

I think [name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] sounds so good!

The name [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] comes to mind, but I’m not sure its what you’re looking for. I just know it means “strong and wise” and is in the Bible as well. lol.

I’ve always though that [name_m]Bishop[/name_m] and [name_m]Deacon[/name_m] were very nice sounding names. I’m not Catholic, so I’m not sure if people who are more into organized religion would consider those names appropriate or not lol. (we’re pretty non-denominational)

[name_u]Sterling[/name_u] is a nice name that I believe means “[name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Star[/name_f]” which certainly reminds me of [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]/the birth of [name_m]Jesus[/name_m]/ etc.

[name_u]Dean[/name_u] could work! I also like the suggestion of [name_m]Deacon[/name_m].
Would [name_f]Honor[/name_f] be too much of a stretch? And [name_m]Bravery[/name_m] too out there? There’s [name_m]Baptiste[/name_m], but maybe it’s too on the nose. [name_m]Noble[/name_m] and [name_u]True[/name_u] could work! [name_m]Noble[/name_m] for the meaning of “having or showing fine personal qualities or high moral principles.”, the whole morality thing is a big part of religion and [name_u]True[/name_u] because of the “you must not lie” thing. If [name_u]True[/name_u] seems feminine to you there’s also [name_m]Truett[/name_m], a more indirect link to it.

[name_u]Reid[/name_u]/[name_u]Reed[/name_u] from your signature seems promising, as in [name_m]Moses[/name_m] in the reeds.

[name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] also springs to mind, meaning “pilgrim”.

Bramble
[name_m]Arrow[/name_m]
Briars
[name_f]Virtue[/name_f]
[name_u]Cedar[/name_u]
[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_f]Galilee[/name_f]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]
[name_m]Bravery[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
Partridge
Cainan
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
Harvest
Watchman
Keep
Apostle
[name_f]Valley[/name_f]

*posted and then saw Bravery comment - I love it as a middle. Seem to recall a Hugo Bravery on the birth announcements!

I love your son’s name!

I like the suggestions of [name_m]Bravery[/name_m], [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], [name_m]Arrow[/name_m], and Harvest. A few suggestions of my own:

[name_f]Cypress[/name_f]
[name_m]Clay[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_u]Ash[/name_u]
[name_m]Sol[/name_m] (the sun/[name_m]Son[/name_m])

I tried to think of a way to include the [name_m]Lion[/name_m], [name_m]Rock[/name_m], or [name_m]Fire[/name_m] that are referenced so often throughout the Bible, but nothing came to mind.

The first thing I thought of was Guardian. Maybe a name that means Guardian, Protector or Defender?

I would suggest [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] since [name_u]Isa[/name_u] is associated with meadows in Qur’an but it’s a girl name :confused:

this list might be helpful ↓

I love the suggestions Harvest and [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]

I love this idea, but Biblical inspired boys word names seem difficult to find! There’s been some wonderful suggestions already. Maybe:

[name_f]Beryl[/name_f]
[name_u]Cruz[/name_u]
[name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m]/[name_m]Immanuel[/name_m]
[name_u]Genesis[/name_u]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_u]Justice[/name_u]
[name_m]Keys[/name_m]
[name_u]Onyx[/name_u]

My first thought, with your first child’s name, was [name_m]Bishop[/name_m].

(1 [name_m]Peter[/name_m] 2:25 KJV) For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and [name_m]Bishop[/name_m] of your souls.

Another one that came to mind:

[name_m]Stone[/name_m] - (Psalm 118:22) The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.

I like a few of the above suggestions and I’ll add a few!

[name_f]Virtue[/name_f] Names:
[name_m]Bravery[/name_m]
Courage
[name_m]Valor[/name_m]
[name_m]Noble[/name_m]
[name_m]Able[/name_m]/[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u]
[name_m]Worth[/name_m]
[name_u]Truth[/name_u]

Things/References:
Shield
[name_m]Stone[/name_m]
[name_m]Bishop[/name_m]
[name_m]Arrow[/name_m]
[name_u]Eagle[/name_u]
[name_u]Falcon[/name_u]
Armor
[name_u]Blaze[/name_u]
[name_m]Fire[/name_m]
[name_m]Palmer[/name_m] (palm sunday?)
Carpenter (is this too much of a stretch? [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] was a carpenter!)
[name_m]Fisher[/name_m] (fisher of men)

I love the name [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]! And I apologize but my taste tends to be a bit more “out there” than most! Hopefully something here catches your eye! I think my favorite is [name_m]Fisher[/name_m] because its a more recognizable “name” and pairs well with [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]! The Good [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and the [name_m]Fisher[/name_m] of Men! Maybe I’m just corny! Anyways, good luck! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] you find the perfect name! :slight_smile:

I had a teacher in high school who gave her kids the middle names of Praise, Psalm, Selah, Sparrow, and Peace (they were all boys).

Some other names you could use:
Justice
Hymn
Lion
Raven
Dove
Bless
Royal
Rule
Noble
Honor
True/Truth
Ransom
Reasoner
Loyal
Wisdom
Glory
Starling (for the Star of Bethlehem)
Smite (comes from Genesis 8:21)

I echo [name_m]Ransom[/name_m], and also suggest:
[name_u]Zion[/name_u]
[name_m]Ebenezer[/name_m]
Refuge

Thanks everyone-lots to ponder!

I’ve added Harvest, [name_u]Ash[/name_u] and [name_f]Valley[/name_f] to my list of considerations. Plus @clu4jc reminded me of [name_m]Abel[/name_m], which would fit really well!

Honourable mentions to [name_m]Bravery[/name_m] - super cool, but maybe to adventurous for me - and [name_m]Fisher[/name_m] - I actually love this, but it is very much tied to a family we know.

[name_m]Peter[/name_m], the rock, the foundation of the church.
[name_m]Dominick[/name_m]?
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]?
If you should get a girl, [name_f]Petra[/name_f] would be a pretty mn.

Disciple
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Apple[/name_f]
[name_f]Havilah[/name_f]
[name_u]Sinai[/name_u]
[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]