Bindi?

What do you think of the name Bindi? It’s the name of the late [name]Steve[/name] [name]Irwin[/name]'s daughter. He named her after his favorite crocodile and also said that it means “little girl” in Aborigine. It’s starting to grow on me, but not as a full name. What could it be a nickname for?

Bindi only makes me think of the forehead decoration worn by [name]Indian[/name] women - I forgot about Bindi [name]Irwin[/name]!

ditto. sorry.

I only think of Bindi [name]Irwin[/name]. Somehow, naming the daughter after the animal always seemed backwards to me… fan though I was.

Considering animals were basically his life, I think it’s ok.

I’m not sure I like Bindi too much, but as a nickname… hmm. I’m sure it could be short for something if we think it through. I think the [name]Elizabeth[/name] blog topic today gives a lot of ideas how a name can be worked into a nickname. [name]Tibbie[/name] is kind of weird, but it makes sense. So what name leads to Bindi?

My first thought was, like, [name]Brenda[/name]? It’s not the best, but it’s a start.

[name]Bernadette[/name], if you have the nerve - I’ve always felt affection for the name myself but not enough to use it, it’s sort of awkward. However, you have a nickname to go.

[name]Bianca[/name] might work.

Any name you might get [name]Mindy[/name] from, you might also get Bindi. The only [name]Mindy[/name] I knew was Merinda. I think I’ve also heard it from [name]Miranda[/name]. I’m not sure what [name]Mindy[/name] is short for.

[name]Ah[/name], [name]Belinda[/name] - that makes sense. Bindy is a nn for [name]Belinda[/name].

It might work with [name]Bridget[/name]. Like [name]Biddy[/name] or [name]Bridie[/name], only Bindy. Kind of a stretch. I really think the name needs an N to work, a B and and N and probably an I between them somewhere. The -dy ending can “just happen.” So I am looking for names with a B-i-n structure, where those letters in order but not necessarily in a string - the name doesn’t need to start with B, it can be in the middle.

[name]Benedetta[/name] - the Italian fem. variation of [name]Benedict[/name]. A lot more exotic than [name]Bernadette[/name], if you like a lot of flair with your long unusual names.

[name]Bryony[/name]?
[name]Brynn[/name]?
[name]Abilene[/name]? Quite a stretch, but if we could search this out properly, it might uncover something splendid along these lines. In my mind, I am looking for a name like (I made this up) Abin-- something, or just Abin. [name]Eben[/name]? Boys names? There you might get [name]Annie[/name] from [name]Ann[/name]- or [name]Benny[/name] from [name]Eben[/name], so they are longer, you could just say Bindi instead of [name]Benny[/name]. Cute.

It’s harder to look up a lot of names that don’t start with B and see what I find. I’m sure there’s something perfect out there. [name]Lavinia[/name]? See, something like that is lurking with the perfect setup for Bindi.

That’s what I was going to say - my bestie [name]Belinda[/name] goes by Bindy.

I just think of Bindi being an annoying weed that gets stuck in your toes over [name]Summer[/name]. No Australian could use it for this reason (plus the [name]Steve[/name] [name]Irwin[/name] association) but in [name]America[/name] or the UK I guess it’s fresh sounding.

Yep I am from Australia and I think of the things the weed that is really annoying

[name]Even[/name] though I live near little Bindi [name]Irwin[/name] all I think of is PRICKLES! Ahhhhhh!