Bodhi?

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I have decided to start trying again in the summer. We are so far off on names that I’m beginning my search now. Really, the only name he’s totally on board with from my signature is [name_m]Declan[/name_m]. I like it and it probably would’ve been what we used had my daughter been a boy, but I’m not sure I’m feeling it all that much anymore.

A girl I knew from high school named her son Bodie a couple of years ago and I wasn’t feeling it. I think the spelling turned me off the most. Recently, I’ve really been loving [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m], but now I’m realizing why she maybe chose the spelling she did - she is Caucasian as am I. I am considering [name_m]Bode[/name_m] (like the skier; apparently it has [name_m]German[/name_m]/Nordic roots so not totally made up), but I don’t know. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are not religious; however, when I was growing up, my parents were Buddhists and it is the religion I most respect and identify with. I just don’t know. I don’t want to appear that I’m trying too hard or being too “out there.”

Is it really a name which someone of my background would be seen as silly? Part of me sees it as cool, laid back, almost surfer-like but that may be just me.

Middle name would be [name_u]James[/name_u].

I think the Irish [name_m]Declan[/name_m] would be a better choice with an older sister named [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. I don’t like the “No-[name_u]Bo[/name_u]” of [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m].

I’m not the least bit concerned about “No-[name_u]Bo[/name_u]” as we don’t call her that (obviously) and it doesn’t even have that beginning sound. I’m really interested in people’s thoughts on the actual name [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m].

I was just pointing out the similarity between the two names. You’re the second or third person who has posted about the name [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] in a couple of days here on Nameberry. Two celebrities have recently named their sons [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] so it’s VERY trendy. If you were a Buddhist, it would be fine but it just seems like an odd choice for a non-religious person to make. It does have a hippy, surfer dude quality but I don’t see the appeal. I don’t like cutesy names for either gender and [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] falls into that category for me. It’s a sweet nickname for a little boy but I have trouble picturing it on a mature adult. I like names that age well and can adjust to all stages in life and [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] seems like it would be forever stuck in childhood. [name_m]Declan[/name_m] would be a stronger choice especially with a sister name [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. Have you considered Beau as an option?

I like [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] and disagree with pp about it being a child’s name. I think [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] is a name that could age well. People call their daughters [name_f]Lily[/name_f] - that is a child’s name to me, but [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] doesn’t seem that way. Sure, it’s cute and sweet, but I do think it could age well.

I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] although very different have a similar feel; both appear as though they could be nicknames, but are real full names. . I’m not very aware of any religious affiliations, and I think [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] is cool.

I know a boy named [name_m]Brody[/name_m], which is similar, so maybe you would like that? (pronounced Bro-dee).

So I think if you love [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] (or [name_m]Brody[/name_m]), go for it!

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u], [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m]. I am not a Buddhist but I adore the meaning. It is just a positive name and it just reminds me of sunshine, the beach and butterflies…I would also think anyone could use this name. There are many non Christians with names from the bible. I also love the name [name_f]Priya[/name_f] and would use it in a heartbeat…(And I am not [name_f]Indian[/name_f]…)! I guess my point is-If you love a name (Unless it has NEGATIVE connotations) they are all useable! :slight_smile: And [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] are a lovely sibset.

[name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] came on my radar recently and I really like it! It’s not exactly my style for my own children, but I love to hear it and would be delighted to meet a little boy named [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m]. I actually prefer this spelling of it as well. I don’t see why you can’t use a name from a different religion, it’s done all the time.

I really love the name [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m], I had it on my list for my son 2 years ago, then my sister got a puppy and called him [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m]… so now I can’t use it :frowning: I prefer the [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] spelling too. I always read [name_m]Bode[/name_m] as “bowed”.

I love [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] (check out the signature)! I am a spiritual person; actually a [name_m]Christian[/name_m] raised learning about world religions. I have two main reasons for liking [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m]:

1. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is the name of a female bodhisattva, so [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] (and [name_f]Lotus[/name_f]) make sense next to my name.
  2. The bodhi tree ( I love nature names)

If a person used the name and wasn’t Buddhist nor knew anything about the belief or culture of origin, then I’d think they were posers. They just chose it because they thought it sounded cool and unique. You don’t seem to be in that category. You actually grew up in a Buddhist household. Why not use it?

I think it is a fairly accessible name to any ethnicity, especially given your upbringing. A lot of people probably wouldn’t even recognize its origins, it’s not like [name_m]Jos[/name_m]é or [name_m]Raj[/name_m].

I love the name [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m], if you do too you should go for it.