Boy name Thady

Looking to sound out an unusual name for a baby boy as my husband and I are looking for general feedback on it. The name is [name_m]Thady[/name_m]. It’s an old Irish name that is an Anglicization of [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m]. It has been in my husband’s family going back 100 years plus, which is part of the reason we’re so keen on it. But it has fallen out of use these days. We really like it but don’t want to labour our son with a tricky name either. [name_f]Do[/name_f] people recognise it as a name? Any thoughts on it?

I really don’t think [name_m]Thady[/name_m] would be pronounced Tee-gg, you’d be better spelling it [name_m]Teague[/name_m]. I think it’s a nice enough name though. [name_m]Thady[/name_m] looks like [name_m]Thad[/name_m]-ee, like a nickname for [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m].

I would pronounce it the way it looks, I agree you should change the spelling. I love [name_m]Teague[/name_m]!

Id go with [name_m]Teague[/name_m]. :slight_smile: also suggesting [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]

You say it’s an Anglicization of [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m], so a change in pronunciation might be expected, but since [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m] is actually pronounced “[name_m]TYG[/name_m]” (like the first part of tiger), even [name_m]Teague[/name_m] isn’t right. Like @maerad, I would assume it as short for [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m], or even [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m].

BUT, that said, [name_m]Thady[/name_m] sounds familiar enough (somewhat like [name_u]Grady[/name_u], [name_u]Brady[/name_u], though the ‘a’ sound is different) that I don’t think having the given name [name_m]Thady[/name_m] would be too challenging. So if the name makes sense to you and has importance, go for it!

I like [name_m]Thady[/name_m] - how are you pronouncing it? I’d probably assume “[name_m]THAY[/name_m]-dee” or “[name_m]THAD[/name_m]-ee”, or perhaps with a hard “t”.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m]/[name_m]Tige[/name_m] too; it’s a shame the spelling of [name_m]Tadhg[/name_m] is so complex outside of [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], because it’s got an awesome sound!