boy: sterling? honest opinions pls!

can you guys weigh in on the name “sterling” for a boy? thanks!

I don’t like it. I wish I did, because my husband and I like the idea of [name]Stirling[/name] (as in [name]Stirling[/name] [name]Moss[/name], [name]Stirling[/name] Castle), but it just doesn’t feel right. I can’t imagine calling a baby, toddler, or school age boy [name]Sterling[/name]/[name]Stirling[/name]. It works better as an adult name, but not so much for a kid. Good luck with your choice!

I’m sorry, but I don’t like it at all. It sounds like the name of a soap opera character - and a silver-haired one at that.

It sounds like you’re looking for something distinctive and distinguished sounding, but I think you need to take it down a notch (or ten) to really achieve the desired effect.

Some suggestions (though these may be completely off base):
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Reginald[/name] (nn [name]Reggie[/name] is great for a small boy)
[name]Nile[/name]
[name]Court[/name]

Remids me of [name]Sterling[/name] [name]Knight[/name]. I wouldt use it myself, i dont love it but i can see its appeal. I like the name on someones other kids if you know what I mean.

For me, it’s sort of like the modern male equivalent of [name]Tiffany[/name]. Supposed to sound elegant, but comes off as pretentious.

I know a young man (in his 20s) named [name]Sterling[/name], and I think it works. I’ve never thought of it as pretentious.

It’s ok. Can’t say I like it, but I don’t hate it.

I think I like it … it sounds classy and handsome and I think it would age well. Personally, I am not sure if I would use it, though. I also can’t think of any nn options.

I like it! I’m not sure if I’m brave enough to use it, but I think it’s nice and have never thought it was pretentious.

I agree with the idea that is sounds exactly like a soap opera character. A friend knew an ultra-preppy and pretentious guy named [name]Sterling[/name], so that puts me off the name. I don’t find it masculine either.