Boys Names Like Eponine

Hey Berries! :blush:

As per the title, what are some boys names similar to [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] in meaning and feel?

Is there a male equivalent / variant??

Bonus question: could [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] work as a middle name on a boy??

I’ve been googling, but can’t really find anything. Thought you lovelies might have some ideas.

Similar feel:

Sylvain
[name_m]Beaumont[/name_m]
[name_m]Melchior[/name_m]
[name_m]Alphonse[/name_m]
[name_m]Apollinaire[/name_m]
[name_m]Aurelien[/name_m]
[name_m]Benoit[/name_m]
[name_m]Claudien[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxence[/name_m]
[name_u]Pascale[/name_u]
[name_m]Thoreau[/name_m]

Mainly cool [name_u]French[/name_u] names feel similar to me!

Eponius/Eponios is a male name with a similar look, not sure about its origin.

3 Likes

Perrin
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Marius[/name_m]

1 Like

Hmmm
Names with -ine are strictly female. I would not use it on a boy.

Names that Might Inspire…

• Ephraim
  • Leon
  • Lenin
  • Leonid
  • Stephen
  • Phinneas
  • Pierre
  • Guillaume (gee-yome)
  • Sebastian
1 Like

I would suggest rare literary or historical names. To me they have a similar feel to [name_f]Eponine[/name_f].

D’Artagnan (to me this seems like a near equivalent to [name_f]Eponine[/name_f], in that they’re both rare names from well-known [name_u]French[/name_u] books)
[name_m]Aramis[/name_m]
[name_m]Galahad[/name_m]
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u]
[name_m]Octavius[/name_m]
[name_m]Endymion[/name_m]

I think [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] could work as middle name for a boy.

2 Likes

Probably. [name_m]Ebenezer[/name_m] has a similar fewl, but is also all MN to me. :))))))))))

1 Like

Sounds like a medication… What feel are you getting from this name?

@hellobanjo - are you thinking of epi pen? Hahaha

1 Like

Just chiming in to say that, oddly, I first encountered [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] as a male name because a neighbor used it for her rooster :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: He was a character, but I have no idea why she chose it for him. She was an [name_f]English[/name_f] teacher and a bit of a name nerd–I think she must have known where it came from. (Her [name_u]Golden[/name_u] Retriever was [name_m]Kane[/name_m], kah-nuh–Danish, I think?) I was in for a surprise a few years later when I read Les Miserables!

1 Like

The first name that pops into my head is [name_m]Etienne[/name_m]! Such a handsome name.

3 Likes

I want to say another [name_u]French[/name_u] literature name like [name_m]Marius[/name_m] or [name_m]Phoebus[/name_m].

Or [name_m]Philip[/name_m] / [name_m]Philippe[/name_m]? I know [name_f]Eponine[/name_f] has an uncertain meaning but if I connect it to [name_f]Epona[/name_f], it shares a “horse” meaning with [name_m]Philip[/name_m] + variants.

1 Like

Oooo… :heart_eyes: I didn’t know this / haven’t seen it before. I can’t find the origin either. Although one of the top hits was to do with [name_f]Epona[/name_f], so maybe it is related… :woman_shrugging:

Update: did more digging - Eponius is the Latin translation of Epona :ok_hand:

1 Like

So grand! :grin: I think forever GP though, even for me haha… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

This has never remotely crossed my mind! :joy: It’s so fascinating what other people notice about names.

This is the best story! :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

So following [name_u]French[/name_u] naming conventions the masculine version would just be Eponin (like other male/female pairs: Valentin/Valentine, Augustin/Augustine), but a Google search shows it doesn’t really exist/isn’t used. But I think you could still use it!