Branwen

What comes to your mind when you hear or see this name? [name]Do[/name] you like the name?

I think I prefer [name]Bronwyn[/name]. But, I do like the meaning and origin of [name]Branwen[/name]. It’s unique and distinctive without being weird.

I [name]DO[/name] think that people might hear “[name]Brandon[/name]” when you say “[name]Branwen[/name]”.

I also see bran, like bran flakes…it doesnt sound nice and polished when I say it out loud like [name]Bronwen[/name] does.

I also like [name]Bronwen[/name] better, but [name]Branwen[/name] is nice as well. I kind of think of raisin bran, but then again, I kind of just think of [name]Bronwen[/name].

It’s okay. It has nice sounds, but I like a lot of other -wen names better.

• wen names I like that you might:

[name]Anwen[/name] – very beautiful – has the same sounds without the “bran flakes” or being misheard as [name]Brandon[/name].
[name]Arwen[/name] – noble maiden
[name]Ceridwen[/name] – poetry
Eirwen – blessed snow
Elowen – elm
[name]Gwen[/name]

I like [name]Branwen[/name] a lot! I actually prefer the bran- beginning to the bron- in [name]Bronwen[/name] because it makes me think a bit of brawny and [name]Bronson[/name] (my friend’s name which I’ve never really between fond of). I think [name]Branwen[/name] is very pretty and has a lovely meaning. I can kind of see the [name]Brandon[/name] thing, but I feel like that name isn’t as popular in this generation as it was in mine so I doubt she’d have to worry about being confused with a [name]Brandon[/name] in her class or something.

It sounds like a name straight out of Game of Thrones.

I’m not the biggest fan. What about [name]Bronson[/name] instead?

@okbrielle [name]Branwen[/name] is Welsh not “straight out of Game of Thrones”, lacking cultural awareness somewhat!

I’ve always preferred [name]Branwen[/name] to [name]Bronwen[/name] (wyn makes its a boys name). Though here in [name]Wales[/name] I have met significantly more of the latter than the former. Always considered [name]Branwen[/name] to be very feminine in sound and it has a lovely meaning.

I suppose there could be an issue with it being misheard,depending on the accent where you live (assuming USA?). But that happens with a lot of names, a simple correction is all it takes.

Also makes me think of bran flakes, raisin bran, etc. (due to mispronunciation, no doubt). I don’t like it at all, sorry.

I actually have a [name]Bronwen[/name] (not exactly the same, but close) so I can give you my person experience on it. Mind you I live in central PA so this is quite unusual where I live. Pretty much everyone asks her to repeat it, thankfully she is easy going. Large majority of people think its a boys name on paper, but I was not going to do the -yn ending… too similar to the turning boys names into girls names thing ([name]Jordyn[/name], [name]Camryn[/name] etc) and wrong if you want to go with the original Welsh. Lots of positive comments though, like pretty much every name people just find out about, they learn to say it and like the little girl who is connected to it. She likes her name, its come up before, her best two friends are named [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] and B has mentioned how she likes being “the girl named [name]Bronwen[/name]”. (Mother who grew up. [name]Jennifer[/name] in the 80’s is thrilled as you can imagine) As far as a nn goes, her friends all have silly names and her is “[name]Bron[/name] Won [name]Win[/name] Din” lol, not exactly a true nn, [name]Winnie[/name] never really fit her and she goes by [name]Sissy[/name] or [name]Bron[/name], but not often.

I love [name]Bronwen[/name], but not [name]Branwen[/name]. [name]Branwen[/name] is very “bran flakes” to me, and when I say it out loud, it sounds like I’m trying to say [name]Brandon[/name] with a speach impedinent. I think it could be nice in the middle name spot, but too much in the first.

• [name]Athena[/name]

I’m really surprised by some of the silly comments here. [name]Branwen[/name] is rich in significance to the Welsh culture, and I think it’s a great name. [name]Branwen[/name] is strong, feminine, and has a long and interesting history. Here’s a great blog post from Nook of Names on [name]Branwen[/name]: Loading...

I love it! I actually like it better than [name]Bronwen[/name], mostly because of the meaning :slight_smile: I pronounce it somewhere between brawn and bran though, if that makes sense, so it doesn’t really make me think of [name]Brandon[/name]. Not sure what the correct pronunciation is though. It would be a serious contender on my list, except my husband has a cousin named [name]Bronwyn[/name]. Good luck!

I agree. I really like [name]Branwen[/name]. It has a pretty meaning and a strong history.

I prefer it to [name]Bronwyn[/name], especially since the y there isn’t really supported by Welsh gender rules. If I wanted y’s I’d go with [name]Bryony[/name], which is a UK botanical choice.

[name]Branwen[/name] goes on and off my own list, [name]Bronwyn[/name] never really gets a look in.

I also thought it sounded like a name I’d read in those books! That’s not necessarily a bad thing either.

My man’s name is [name]Brandon[/name], so when I hear [name]Branwen[/name] I think of [name]Brandon[/name], I can’t help it! So for me it sounds masculine, or like someone is smushing [name]Brandon[/name] and another name together. Oh, and the fact that I don’t care for it as a name doesn’t make me culturally retarded or anything like that!

I’m surprised too. Considering the “bran” part is “BRAHN” and said very softly I have never understood why it is considered similar to bran flakes or [name]Brandon[/name] (which is not BRAHN-don where I come from, it is [name]BRANN[/name]-don, with an A sound closer to [name]Anne[/name]). All those three things share is letters, not sounds. Anyway, I much prefer [name]Branwen[/name] for it’s meaning, and I think it is more feminine looking than [name]Bronwen[/name]. Such a rich history and it’s a shame people switch out the “wen” for the masculine “wyn” ending. I think just [name]Bran[/name] or even [name]Wendy[/name], at a stretch, could work for nicknames.

I keep thinking that [name]Branwen[/name] is a spelling mistake for someone named [name]Bronwen[/name]. :slight_smile: After reading some previous posts, I will now think of [name]Bran[/name] flakes too!

It is utterly bizarre that there are so many silly comments here. It’s as though Americans think there are only about 10 Welsh names and everything after that is a spelling mistake.