Breaking the tie between Cordelia and Camellia

[name_m]How[/name_m] strange is it that these names look and sound so similar but we arrived to them through different paths?

I like [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] because in my culture these flowers represent ever lasting love. In my husband’s homeland the sea is central to daily life, he feels a deep, lasting connection with the ocean. He loves [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] because it means heart of the sea.

The tie is impossible to break for us alone. We’re actually expecting two little girls, but the names are too similar to use them together (right?), and we have nothing for baby B.

They’re both beautiful but I do prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I think they are probably too similar for sibling names, you’re right. What other names are on your list?

They’re both beautiful. What about using both -one as a first name for baby A and the other a middle name for baby B? What other flower names / any names you like? Would he be willing to consider another ocean-related names? I am thinking about something like [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] [name_f]Marine[/name_f], for example and ____ [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] for the second twin. Or [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] ____ and _____ [name_f]Camellia[/name_f].

We aren’t very clever or diverse when it comes to names. The other names we considered are also very similar: [name_u]Dominique[/name_u] or [name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f]. Our daughters’ godfathers are [name_m]Manuel[/name_m] and [name_m]Dominick[/name_m], so we arrived to these [name_m]French[/name_m] sounding feminizations of their names.

I do not like flower names besides [name_f]Camellia[/name_f]. However, my husband likes [name_f]Nereida[/name_f] and [name_f]Undine[/name_f], which are also related to the ocean. I much prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] to either one of those.

I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]!

Both of those names are beautiful. They are pretty similar…but if you called them nicknames like [name_f]Cammie[/name_f] and [name_f]Delia[/name_f] or [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_f]Millie[/name_f] it wouldn’t be so bad. You could also just go with [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Camille[/name_f]…still a bit similar but not quite as match-y. I love the middle names you picked out as well!

I really like [name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f] -I don’t think it sounds too close to [name_u]Dominique[/name_u].

You know what, if it’s [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] that’s you really love, go ahead and name your daughter those. They are indeed similar, but should it really be a deal breaker? I have twin cousins whose names both started with [name_u]Cris[/name_u]-, but they have clearly different nicknames and it works for them. :slight_smile:

We were actually thinking of [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_f]Lia[/name_f] as nicknames.

I’m not a fan of the sound of [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] personally, but I like the meaning and the nickname [name_f]Cora[/name_f]. I like that [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] is unusual though it sounds similar to popular [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. To decide maybe you can work on finding a name for the second baby and pick the one of [name_f]Camellia[/name_f]/[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] that goes better. I agree that [name_f]Camille[/name_f] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] could work.

Other flower/nature suggestions: [name_f]Linnea[/name_f], Leanna, [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], [name_f]Briony[/name_f], [name_f]Anthea[/name_f], [name_u]Waverly[/name_u], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
Sea/ocean suggestions: [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (white wave), [name_f]Ondine[/name_f], [name_f]Maren[/name_f], [name_f]Marine[/name_f], [name_f]Mira[/name_f]

I love both of these names, but my preference is [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] because of its meaning. I know the two names are pretty similar, but maybe you can get away with giving them to both your daughters? I think as long as they both have different-sounding nicknames it should be all right.

Both are nice, but I am especially fond of [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], so that’s what I’d choose if you could only use one.

I agree that they are a bit matchy for siblings. But some parents still love using matchy names for their twins, so if you used both, you wouldn’t be alone! The only real reason not to do this besides personal preference is that it’s confusing, but you can always use nicknames like [name_f]Cami[/name_f] and [name_f]Delia[/name_f] to avoid that (or [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_f]Lia[/name_f]; I’m not sure about just [name_f]Lia[/name_f] for [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] since [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] also has [name_f]Lia[/name_f] in it… something using the M would probably be better.)

If you would rather not use both as first names, then you might be able to make one work as a middle. I personally think they are both a bit long and hard to work with as middles (especially paired with your other lengthy favorites), but shortening [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] down to [name_f]Camille[/name_f] would make for a very versatile middle name. Something like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Nereida[/name_f] [name_f]Camille[/name_f] could definitely work.

(By the way, [name_f]Nereida[/name_f] and [name_f]Undine[/name_f] are a couple of my all-time favorites, so your husband seems like a cool guy. xD)