Brenna nn Wren?

I was looking at a user’s list today and came across [name]Brenna[/name]. I already love [name]Wren[/name], and although it stands on its own as a name, I also kinda like it as a nn. I really like [name]Brenna[/name], especially because it’s Irish. Would it be weird to nn her [name]Wren[/name] with a w as opposed to [name]Ren[/name]? Is it also strange to use [name]Wren[/name] as a nn when [name]Brenna[/name] means raven?

You have some good points. I say, if you like it, use it, but if you want my feelings, don’t use it.

The mixture of the two birds, raven and the wren don’t really go together. On one hand the [name]Wren[/name] is a small little brown bird (if you don’t include the [name]Fairy[/name] [name]Wren[/name]- which is blue) and the raven is a large black bird. I think it would be a little offputting, but then again, not many people would recognize it, you know? There are no people I know besides my own mother that might realize [name]Brenna[/name] meant [name]Raven[/name].

I personally like both names and think they are very sweet. You could use [name]Wren[/name] as a mn? I just don’t think you can get [name]Wren[/name] from [name]Brenna[/name]. The way [name]Wren[/name] sounds doesn’t even connect with the sounds in [name]Brenna[/name]. I would go with [name]Ren[/name] for a nick name if need-be.

[name]Hope[/name] I helped!

I think [name]Brenna[/name] nn [name]Wren[/name] would be cute. I prefer just [name]Wren[/name] though.

[name]Brenna[/name] nn [name]Ren[/name] makes more sense. Adding the ‘w’ seems odd and unnecessary to me.

Thanks for replying.

@alliecat: I’m curious to know how you pronounce the two names, because when I say them, they sound exactly the same. The way I pronounce it, [name]Bren[/name] rhymes with [name]Wren[/name].

I probably won’t use it, but I just wanted to see other people’s thoughts. I like [name]Wren[/name] better on its own, mostly in the middle spot. :slight_smile:

I think it would be fine. [name]IMO[/name] people put too much thought into nicknames. The fun of nicknames is that they can be anything you want, and will catch on if you keep using them. Today I met a girl named [name]Anna[/name] but everyone, including her siblings and parents, called her Panda. I’m sure it has nothing to do with her name. So if you ask me [name]Brenna[/name] nn [name]Wren[/name] makes plenty of sense :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Brenna[/name] nn [name]Wren[/name] is cute. :slight_smile: Although I have to say, I don’t think [name]Brenna[/name] really needs a nn. I know two, and both go by their full name.

As for the spelling, no, I don’t think it looks weird at all. [name]Ren[/name] looks incomplete, and masculine to me. I always think of [name]Ren[/name] and Stimpy when I see [name]Ren[/name]; when I see [name]Wren[/name], I think of a delicate, beautiful bird. Besides, my grandmother’s an avid bird lover, so I would always use the [name]Wren[/name] spelling, just to honor her.

As for the raven/wren thing, I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. I’ve heard other sources that say [name]Brenna[/name] is a form of [name]Bryn/name, meaning “[name]Hill[/name]”, and I’ve seen other sources that say it could be a form of [name]Brenda[/name], meaning “sword”, or [name]Brennan[/name], which means “descendant of” [a complicated Irish name I can’t remember at the moment. lol]. So I don’t think the raven meaning is that significant, especially since there are a handful of possible meanings, and besides, who besides you will know that [name]Brenna[/name] means “raven”? My cousin just picked it out for his newborn daughter, and I doubt even they know what it means. Most non-name nerds have no clue about meanings, and I don’t think a lot of them care, really. The only time the meaning of her name would probably come up is if you bring it up, or if she does one of those exercises in school where you have to look up the meaning of your name. I really don’t think it’ll be too big of an issue. :slight_smile: Besides, even if it does mean raven, and the meaning ends up being significant in her life, I really don’t think it’d be a deal-breaker that her nn is one bird and the meaning of her full name is another bird. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

[name]Brenna[/name] nickname [name]Wren[/name] is fine- and it makes plenty of sense. But this is one of those (rare) occasions when I say to just use [name]Wren[/name], it’s so much prettier as a full name.

• [name]Athena[/name]

I do like [name]Wren[/name] better too, but last night I read about some bullying girls named [name]Wren[/name] got in school and it upset me (on parentsconnect). So I don’t think I would use it on its own as a fn. This is all hypothetical anyway.

Thanks @ashthedreamer! That was my line of thinking originally, I just wanted to see what other people thought too!

[name]Just[/name] to put this out there, but if you like both do you think you could smoosh them together and try Wrenna? I think it could possibly be very pretty and unique.

I also love [name]Brenna[/name]. At first I thought [name]Wren[/name] might be a bit of a silly idea for a nickname, but really nicknames are said much more often than written so it probably wouldn’t matter too much if you spell the nickname [name]Wren[/name], not [name]Ren[/name].

@kathrynsarah

[name]Bren[/name] and [name]Wren[/name] for me do rhyme. Though unless her name was [name]Bren[/name], [name]Brenna[/name] doesn’t sound good with [name]Wren[/name] [name]IMO[/name], but [name]Bren[/name] and [name]Wren[/name] are cute ^^

I pronounce [name]Brenna[/name] I think like most people? The bren part rhymes with wren, and then the naa sound.

@bluejuniper: I have thought about Wrenna too, and I do like it a lot. :slight_smile:

@alliecat: I’m still confused as to why you said the sounds aren’t the same and you can’t get [name]Wren[/name] from [name]Brenna[/name]. If it sounds exactly like [name]Bren[/name], what’s the difference? To me, [name]Ren[/name]/[name]Wren[/name] (no matter what the spelling) would be a natural way to shorten [name]Brenna[/name]. [name]Bren[/name] might be someone’s first choice as a nn, but I don’t see how the sound isn’t there to use [name]Wren[/name]. Does that even make sense? Haha anyway, thanks for everyone’s opinions!

I love [name]Brenna[/name] and i love [name]Wren[/name]. I personally would use [name]Ren[/name] as a nn but i do think you could use [name]Wren[/name] just fine if you want to.