Brisa???

I have two boys now and prego with my first girl! Boys are [name]Brent[/name] & [name]Brandon[/name]. My husband and I wanted to stick with a ‘B’ name to keep the flow going…The name we keep coming back to is [name]Brisa[/name]. Have had a few strong negative opinions saying it’s too odd. She would have a hard time later in life… I’ve heard this name before, and we think it’s pretty. Opinions? Suggestions?

In high school I babysat for a girl named [name]Bree[/name] and I always thought her name was lovely. I’m not sure I like [name]Brisa[/name] quite as much. Does it rhyme with [name]Lisa[/name] or [name]Carissa[/name]?

Rhymes with [name]Lisa[/name]. That was also part of the opinion from others, not sure how to pronounce. I guess I didn’t think it was that difficult?

I really like it, especially with your other childrens names. I got the pronunciation straight away and the meaning ‘beloved’ is adorable. Yes, it is different, I have never met anyone called [name]Brisa[/name], but who says that’s a bad thing? I say go for it if you love it.

other ‘B’ names if you are still looking:
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Bettina[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]/ [name]Bella[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]/ [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Bria[/name]
[name]Bernadette[/name]

good luck!

• [name]Elena[/name] :slight_smile:

Thank you [name]Elena[/name]! [name]Bria[/name] also made the short list, but we just love [name]Brisa[/name]! When others asked what we planned to name her and we told them, I thought it was such a pretty name that it didn’t even strike me others wouldn’t think the same. [name]Brisa[/name] isn’t set in stone yet since I still have awhile to go so thank you for the suggestions!

I love [name]Brisa[/name]! I know a charming little eight-year-old named [name]Brisa[/name]. It’s a lovely name!

Well, I thought I had my heart set on [name]Brisa[/name]…still like it but I have seen so many other names I like too! My 2 boys are [name]Brent[/name] & [name]Brandon[/name] so we wanted to stick with a B but now I’m kind of looking away from that. Need opinions on some other names…

I love, love, love [name]Iris[/name] but my husband dislikes it as much as I like it!

He likes [name]Liliana[/name], which I do too…however, there are a million lily’s and I think it would be too hard to try to keep it as [name]Liliana[/name]…

And I saw the name of one of the poster’s on this thread [name]Elena[/name]…I’m really liking that!

Should we stay with a B name or is it ok to change it up? Also, what are your opinions on these names?

I don’t want to be a downer, but this is something you may not have thought of (or maybe you did but don’t care!) But when I saw your post I immediatly thought of a Briss, jewish ceremony for circumcison…

[name]Brisa[/name] is quite pretty, however i think i prefer [name]Bria[/name]! I little more common but still that same elegant, feminine feel! Although, i dont think you need to stick with a B name! Maybe if you were having another boy it would be a good idea to stick to the B’s, but since you’re having a girl you can change it up! [name]Say[/name], if you pick the name [name]Elena[/name], then the next girl (if thats an option for you guys!) can have another E name! [name]Don[/name]'t feel restricted with the B’s!

Ohhh…no I hadn’t thought of that…will take that into consideration! We had been considering going away from the “B” names. But I don’t know if that would be weird now with the 3rd and last child being different? Other names we/I like are

[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name] - husband likes but I feel she would definitely be called [name]Lily[/name] and there are a ton of [name]Lily[/name]'s out there
[name]Elena[/name]

I would like something maybe not too strange but not so common if that makes sense! Any suggestions are welcome!

Here are a few different ones that strike me of similar style:

[name]Britta[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Ailsa[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Nyla[/name]
[name]Shae[/name]

I really dislike this name. But I don’t really like the boys names either. What about [name]Britta[/name]?

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Brisa[/name]. I dont think its difficult to say. In spanish [name]Brisa[/name] means breeze. [name]Brisa[/name] is also similar to the spanish work [name]Risa[/name] which means to laugh. [name]Brisa[/name] makes me think of a confident carefree child. USE it! If you go with something safe like [name]Liliana[/name] or elena you [name]WILL[/name] REGRET not using [name]BRISA[/name]!

‘[name]Brisa[/name]’ is a salon quality nail line made by Creative Nail…maybe its just me making that association. I agree with earlier posts about [name]Bree[/name]…[name]Brea[/name]?

i have to say that i too thought of briss when i saw this name. and i have fairly little exposure to judaism and havent even been to a bar mitzvah.

both your boys have Br names, so other br names that might work
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Briony[/name]
[name]Britt[/name]
[name]Britta[/name]
[name]Britton[/name]
[name]Bronwyn[/name]
[name]Brynn[/name]

I personally think it is totally ok to switch it up and move away from the B if you would like. If you had more than 2 kids with it I would say to stay, but 2 doesnt necessarily make a theme, it can be a coincidence.

other names you might like that do not start with B…
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Cerys[/name]

I hope something was helpful.

It’s not an odd name per se, just among English speakers.

I don’t usually bother looking into Spanish names, so I wouldn’t have found this pretty one myself. Another for my list (though nowhere near the top).

I’m afraid I also thought of the word briss, and also of [name]Brita[/name] - as in the water filters

The associations aren’t that strong, though, [name]Brisa[/name] just wouldn’t be my first choice

i think [name]Brisa[/name] is a very cute name. i don’t think it’s too out there and it doesn’t remind me of anything negative. i personally think the pronunciation is easy but you will probably always have people who question the pronunciation only because it’s not SUPER common. i definitely wouldn’t feel restricted to B names… i don’t think anyone will find it strange you have a child that doesn’t follow the trend (maybe if you had several other children with B names or the ENTIRE family started with B). however, here’s another B name i think is pretty and feminine…

[name]Brielle[/name]

[name]Brisa[/name] is lovely. Never heard of it before. [name]Bree[/name] would be a fantastic nn.

You certainly don’t have to use a B name though. In my opinion, naming your children in this fashion is kind of dated.

[name]Hi[/name]!

I’ve never heard of [name]Brisa[/name]. I think it’s a cool name, but not a favorite of mine. I’ll admit that I pronounced it like [name]Alyssa[/name] and not [name]Lisa[/name]. I also like the suggestions of [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Bryony[/name]/[name]Briony[/name], and [name]Bronwen[/name].