Brother for Lilac and Pearl - object/word names for boys?

I am currently pregnant with my partner and I’s third child, a boy, due in [name]June[/name]. And we are completely stuck for a name. Our daughters were reasonably easy - at least in that there were loads of names that we both liked, we compiled short-lists and then waited for each girl to be born before choosing the name that seemed to fit best. We were lucky in that our taste in girls’ names is pretty similar (we both liked classic/vintage-feeling but slightly unusual names, and both also quite liked object/word names as long as they weren’t too liable to get the girls grief on the playground). Thus, [name]Lilac[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name] were born with relatively little strife over their names.

On boys names, though, we’re much more divided. I like vintage-ish names, she likes classical sounding ones. To give you an idea, my favourites are [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Alfred[/name], [name]Hubert[/name] and [name]Otto[/name]; hers are [name]Cassius[/name] and Persius. We both also like [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Felix[/name], but both are already quite popular, at least where we live - we know three little Oscars in this area alone.

[name]Arthur[/name], [name]Alfred[/name] and [name]Hubert[/name] are all family names on my side, however [name]Alfie[/name] is HUGELY popular here in the UK at the moment, [name]Arthur[/name] is on the rise, and my partner has vetoed [name]Hubert[/name] and [name]Otto[/name]. For me, [name]Cassius[/name] and Persius are both a little too pretentious sounding - [name]Cassius[/name] also reminds me of the Casio watch brand - and whilst I quite like ‘[name]Percy[/name]’ as a nick-name I dread to think the looks this kid will get when ‘Persius’ gets called out on the register at school.

What we both really want is to continue the object/word name thing we have going on with the girls, but we are having a LOT of trouble finding ones that work for boys AND fit our taste (very new or out-there word names are not what either of us want. [name]Sonnet[/name], [name]Poet[/name]/[name]Poem[/name], [name]Story[/name], [name]Fable[/name] etc are all nice - I’m a screenwriter and my partner is a publisher so that kind of literary theme would be fitting - but neither of us wants something THAT unusual as we both suspect it’ll lead to us having to explain it every time someone asks our son’s name). Thus far the only one we’ve come up with that is close to what we like is ‘[name]Briar[/name]’, but it still feels a little out there, and we both worry it would be mistaken for a girl’s name.

Um, help?

[name]Percival[/name] (because you like [name]Percy[/name] )
[name]Field[/name]
[name]Harbor[/name]
[name]River[/name]
[name]Gray[/name]/[name]Grey[/name]
[name]Rex[/name]

Oooh, I love flashy09’s recommendation of [name]Rex[/name]. I think is both vintage-y and classical and fits with the girls’ names. I also like [name]Percival[/name] but it sounds a bit feminine to me and it might make [name]Lilac[/name] feel left out if there is a [name]Percy[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name].

What about [name]August[/name]? Or [name]Augustus[/name]?

Your taste might lean toward an [name]Albert[/name]? ([name]Bertie[/name]?) Cute and I think (could be wrong) less popular than [name]Alfie[/name] now in the UK but incorporates aspects of your family names.

I love [name]Briar[/name], but have only heard it for two girls.

I think if this little boy is surrounded by women it might be nice to have a clearly male, strong, classic name. Maybe the occupation surnames that are reasonably uncommon but might still satisfy your appreciation for a word name, i.e. [name]Fletcher[/name]

Hmm… my first thought was [name]Vale[/name]/[name]Vail[/name]. Or maybe:
[name]Araby[/name]
[name]Cedar[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Cyan[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Archer[/name], is great! Like [name]Fletcher[/name]. Sort of word-like but also classic.

I have heard the names [name]Stone[/name], [name]Canyon[/name], and [name]Cannon[/name] for boys before. I did go to school with a girl named [name]Briar[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. Hmm…[name]Miles[/name]? Good luck, [name]Lilac[/name] & [name]Pearl[/name] are pretty names.

how about jasper?

Congratulations to you and your partner! I love [name]Lilac[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name]!

I recently asked a similar question here: Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

I hope this helps! For what it’s worth, I adore [name]Jasper[/name] with your girls.

Thanks guys! [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Archer[/name] will definitely get some serious consideration - and [name]Rex[/name] is actually one we’ve already been bandying about, on and off (I’m not as sold as my partner is on it, but I do like how nicely it fits with [name]Lilac[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name]). And yes, my main hang up with [name]Percy[/name]-names, cute though the nn is, is that it sounds very matchy with [name]Pearl[/name] but leaves [name]Lilac[/name] out. We’ll see how things go - we’re also starting to consider male virtue names (I like the feel of [name]Noble[/name], but worry firstly that it’s quite a burden of expectation to load on a very tiny human being and secondly that it’ll inevitably get shortened to ‘Nobby’ at some point, probably by one of his hell-raising big sisters… :P)

For some reason I think [name]Jude[/name] sounds brilliant with your daughters’ names (which by the way, I adore!). And I [name]LOVE[/name] the suggestion of [name]August[/name]. What about these…

[name]Sterling[/name]
[name]Lark[/name] (too feminine?)
[name]Jet[/name]
[name]Wilbur[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]True[/name]
[name]Percival[/name] (a more usable alternative?)
[name]Gage[/name]
[name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Atlas[/name]
[name]Bram[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Axel[/name]
[name]Booker[/name]
[name]Ivo[/name]
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Seymour[/name]

(Oh, and I absolutely love [name]Noble[/name], [name]Pearl[/name] and [name]Lilac[/name]!)

[name]How[/name] about…

• [name]Sinclair[/name]
  • [name]Merritt[/name]
  • [name]Emmett[/name]
  • [name]Julius[/name]
  • [name]Mercer[/name]
  • [name]Cato[/name]
  • [name]Basil[/name]
  • [name]Roman[/name]
  • [name]Axel[/name]
  • [name]Tate[/name]
  • [name]Porter[/name]
  • [name]Everett[/name]
  • [name]Turner[/name]
  • [name]Cooper[/name]
  • [name]Gideon[/name]
  • [name]Sawyer[/name]
  • [name]Blaise[/name]
  • [name]Reid[/name]
  • [name]Trent[/name]
  • [name]Baker[/name]

What about just [name]Percy[/name]? I think it’s wonderful just like it is.

I also love the suggestions of [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Sterling[/name] & [name]August[/name], and would like to add [name]Cyrus[/name], [name]Heron[/name] & [name]Asa[/name] into the mix!

good luck to you!

some of these may be repeats but…

from 100 Mineral & Metal Baby Boy Names | Nameberry
[name]Clay[/name] ( i know a teenage [name]Clay[/name]… he suits it very well!)
[name]Jet[/name]

from 725 Nature Names for Babies | Nameberry
[name]Ash[/name]
[name]Forest[/name]
[name]River[/name]

From 187 Tree Names for Babies | Nameberry
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Elm[/name]

From 235 Names That Mean Water | Nameberry
[name]Ford[/name]
[name]River[/name]

From Winter Baby Names | Nameberry
[name]Frost[/name]

from Color Names for Babies | Nameberry
[name]Grey[/name]
[name]Sterling[/name]

From 161 Bird Names for Babies | Nameberry
[name]Talon[/name] ( i know a 4 year old talon and he is adorable!)

from 86 Star and Planet Names | Nameberry
[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Atlas[/name]

Most of these names are really my style BUT I do like [name]Clay[/name], [name]Jet[/name], [name]River[/name], [name]Linden[/name], [name]Ford[/name] and [name]Atlas[/name]!

I love [name]Remington[/name] with your girls names which are stunning by the way. Some names I like with your girls names are:

[name]Remington[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Waylon[/name]

Everyone else has posted such wonderful recommendations, I’d just like to add [name]Sage[/name] to the mix. In addition to both being words for objects, [name]Pearl[/name] and [name]Lilac[/name] both make me think of distinct colors. [name]Sage[/name] can achieve that same balance.

Please let us know what you settle on, I’d love to hear the completed sibset!

Sticking to objects/words:

[name]Rowan[/name] - A tree.
[name]Heath[/name] - A plant
[name]Jasper[/name] - A stone
[name]Fox[/name] - Animal
[name]Wolf[/name] - Animal.
[name]Onyx[/name] - [name]Stone[/name]
[name]Hawthorn[/name] - Tree
[name]Hart[/name] - Animal
[name]Linden[/name] - Tree

I really love [name]Pearl[/name] and [name]Lilac[/name] by the way. I stuck to nature words to keep to the same feel.

I know a guy name [name]Sterling[/name] and thought it was pretty cool. [name]Jasper[/name] is also great. I have considered the name Brer… which is similar to [name]Briar[/name], and it is a slang term for “brother,” made popular by the story of Brer Rabbit etc. The only thing holding me back from loving it is that the story of Brer Rabbit has racial connotations.

I love [name]Forest[/name].
[name]Lilac[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Forest[/name].
[name]Lilac[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Willow[/name](too feminine?)

I just thought of something cool, since lilacs grow in the earth, pearls are made in the sea, how about something that relates to air/sky/star/bird? [name]Skyler[/name], [name]Hawk[/name], [name]Kane[/name] (means man of the eastern sky), [name]Cielo[/name] (Italian for sky), [name]Seren[/name] (for star)

[name]Lilac[/name],

Oh yes, and [name]Orion[/name] fits the sky element as well. [name]Earth[/name], sea, and sky, love the connection.

[name]Lilac[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name] are both lovely, I adore [name]Arthur[/name] (I wouldn’t worry too much about its popularity, it’s still not top 50), [name]Otto[/name] and [name]Noble[/name] (I generally love male virtue names) too! From others’ suggestions, [name]August[/name] would be perfect. Alternative ideas (sorry for any repeats):
[name]Earnest[/name]
[name]Frank[/name] (could be a nn that ties in the word theme)
Merit
[name]Magnus[/name] (meaning great in Latin)
[name]Atlas[/name]
[name]Justus[/name]
[name]Prosper[/name]
[name]Reason[/name]
[name]Truth[/name]
[name]Wisdom[/name]
[name]Vero[/name]
[name]Philo[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Flint[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]