Brother for Theo?

My husband and I are having a tough time agreeing on a name for [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Henry[/name]'s brother. My husband is fixed on [name]Felix[/name] but I just don’t love it. My concerns are that it’s increasingly popular and doesn’t have a natural short form (which is important to me). [name]Theodore[/name] almost always gets called [name]Theo[/name]. I’m also not sure that [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Felix[/name] is a great sibset.

What are people’s thoughts on [name]Felix[/name]?

I disagree that it’s popular. But I do agree there is no nickname. My son [name]Wyatt[/name] had the same problem, but we called him Cubby as a nickname and people really liked it. It was way better than [name]Buddy[/name].

I find [name]Felix[/name] is pretty charming and handsome but it’s the 122 most popular boys name in the UK and I think it will be on the rise with the popular letter ‘x’ at the moment ([name]Maddox[/name], [name]Jaxon[/name], [name]Saxon[/name], [name]Paxton[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Dax[/name] etc). I find [name]Theodore[/name] a lot more classic, whereas [name]Felix[/name] has a bit of a trendy vibe to it and I’m not sure they got that well together.

What other names do you like?

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Oscar[/name] ([name]Oz[/name]/[name]Ozzy[/name]), [name]Asher[/name] ([name]Ash[/name]), [name]Gabriel[/name] ([name]Gabe[/name]), [name]Zachary[/name] ([name]Zac[/name]), [name]Emerson[/name] ([name]Sonny[/name]), [name]Benedict[/name] ([name]Ben[/name]), [name]Caspar[/name]/[name]Cassius[/name] ([name]Cass[/name]), [name]Dominic[/name] ([name]Dom[/name], [name]Nic[/name], [name]Nico[/name]), [name]Harrison[/name] ([name]Harri[/name]/[name]Sonny[/name]), [name]Malachi[/name] ([name]Mal[/name], [name]Chi[/name]/[name]Kai[/name]), [name]Sebastian[/name] ([name]Seb[/name]/[name]Bastian[/name]) or [name]Rafferty[/name] ([name]Raff[/name]/[name]Rafe[/name])?

[name]Felix[/name] is the 110th most popular boys name here in Australia (New South [name]Wales[/name]).

I do like [name]Asher[/name] but my husband is not too keen. I toss around [name]August[/name]/[name]Augustus[/name], but worry it’s too pretentious. [name]Frederic[/name] was on our shortlist for [name]Theo[/name] but I was keen on [name]Fred[/name]! There are lots of names I like that my husband vetoes, [name]Alfred[/name], [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Solomon[/name], [name]Fergus[/name]. I’m just not in love with anything!

The first name I thought of was [name]Frederic[/name] with nn [name]Fred[/name] or [name]Freddy[/name]. You could also use [name]August[/name] or [name]Augustus[/name] with [name]Augie[/name] or [name]Gus[/name] and I don’t think it’s too pretentious. Here are some other suggestions:

[name]Alexander[/name] ([name]Al[/name], [name]Alex[/name], [name]Xander[/name])
[name]Andrew[/name] ([name]Andy[/name], [name]Drew[/name])
[name]Charles[/name] ([name]Charlie[/name])
[name]Edmond[/name] or [name]Edwin[/name] ([name]Ned[/name])
[name]Nathaniel[/name] ([name]Nate[/name])
[name]Tobias[/name] ([name]Toby[/name])
[name]Gabriel[/name] ([name]Gabe[/name])
[name]Philip[/name] ([name]Phil[/name] or [name]Pip[/name])
[name]Samuel[/name] ([name]Sam[/name])
[name]William[/name] ([name]Will[/name])
[name]Winston[/name] ([name]Win[/name])