Brothers Arthur & Albus - does it work?

We currently have [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and his brother will be joining us in 11 days :blush:

We thought we’d settled on [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] but my husband has suddenly fallen in love with the name [name_m]Albus[/name_m]. I love it too, especially with the nn [name_m]Albie[/name_m], but being mostly known for a character I wanted to gauge reactions! We’re HP fans and like both the character and the name meaning (white, bright). Plus [name_m]Albus[/name_m]/Alba is linked to [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] - we’re in the UK with Scottish heritage.

He’d be one of the following:

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and…

[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m]

I think [name_m]Albus[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] don’t quite ‘flow’ as brothers. I’d also go for [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m], but [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Albus[/name_m] is also lovely.

2 Likes

I love alliteration so I love [name_m]Albus[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. I think they are both distinguished and distinctive.

I kinda love [name_m]Albie[/name_m] and [name_m]Artie[/name_m] !

That being said I still love [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] as they feel a little more expected as brothers and I will throw out the suggestion of [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Albus[/name_m]. That way you still use the name you both love

Huh, I feel like [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Albus[/name_m] go perfectly together - the only similarity in my eyes is the initial letter.

I’ve never seen HP, so it just feels a bit retro (?) to me. Personally, I think I prefer the sound of [name_m]Alban[/name_m], but I’ve never encountered an [name_m]Albus[/name_m], so I bet it would grow on me.

Albus [name_m]Edward[/name_m] gets my vote from your list.

3 Likes

They are a bit similar, but I think they could work. If you’re planning on having more, you might be stuck in a bit of a pattern. I think my main concern would be the HP connection. Most people would automatically connect them, and your son will probably have to deal with questions/jokes about HP a lot, which isn’t something I’d really want to give to a child.

I prefer [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. It flows better! Plus [name_m]Albus[/name_m] seems very [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] to me.

Unpopular opinion, but I think it works! [name_m]Albus[/name_m] nn [name_m]Albie[/name_m] is lovely and the “A” sounds in [name_m]Albus[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] are pronounced differently so I don’t think they will get confused.

There is a [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] connection, yes, but I don’t think it is as glaring as [name_m]Severus[/name_m] or [name_m]Sirius[/name_m], and if you are HP fans anyway & that doesn’t bother you then I don’t see why not!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] be aware of getting yourself into a pattern, others have said it already but I’ll just repeat it, if you’re planning on having more children do you want to start off an “A” theme?

Oh and my favourite combo is [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] :blush:

3 Likes

I think it could work. The set does feel very HP but if you don’t mimd that, go for it

Thanks all. I didn’t even think of [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] being considered an HP name too! To me [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is a wild 4 year old :joy: Hmm, definitely something to consider.

I’m not a huge [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] fan, so I don’t associate [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] with it. I think [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Albus[/name_m] make such a sweet set of brothers!! I think they’re both cuddly and adorable, while still being cool. I really like [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m]!
That being said, I also really love [name_m]Felix[/name_m] especially with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. So you definitely can’t go wrong!!

(I agree with a pp that if you plan on having more children, you might want to consider that two ‘A’ names might make you feel like you have to continue that pattern!)

2 Likes

This little one is a bit of a miracle baby so I think our family will be complete with our 2 boys. Lots to discuss with the husband and not much time left, eek!

1 Like

If you wanted to, you could always take both names with you and see which one suits him more! You honestly can’t go wrong with either, they both make perfect brothers to [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]! :slightly_smiling_face:
Good luck!!

1 Like

I definitely have a soft spot for [name_m]Albus[/name_m] but am not sure how wearable it is. Probably easier in the UK! [name_m]Albie[/name_m] is adorable. I also love [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m]!

Arthur and [name_m]Albus[/name_m] are great names for siblings!
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] is very charming. I also think [name_m]Charles[/name_m] creates a beautiful balance.
What about [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Raymond[/name_m]?

If your baby is a miracle baby I think [name_m]Felix[/name_m] is quite fitting after [name_m]Felix[/name_m] Felicis :slight_smile: Subtle HP reference but not so on the nose.

That said, I think [name_m]Albus[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] work just fine together. I especially like [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m], it sounds quite smart to me.

3 Likes

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Albus[/name_m] sound great together! [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] would be my pick!

1 Like

I like them together as brothers! They both have a similar old fahsioned feel and I liek th HP connection. I don’t think they’re too similar.

Arthur [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] and…

Albus [name_m]Edward[/name_m] (my pick from yours)
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Julien[/name_m]

Thanks all :blush: We’re still torn between [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Albus[/name_m] - 8 days to go!

1 Like

I actually think [name_m]Albus[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] are really cute together as siblings, but I don’t mind sibling names that are similar. They only share one sound/letter, so they aren’t even that close. Also, I’m a huge HP fan and have been for years and I didn’t even notice that both names were in the series. I noticed it with [name_m]Albus[/name_m], but it took someone else pointing it out for me to realize that [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] was in there, too. So I wouldn’t worry about that. I think [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m] has the best sound to it, but I like [name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m], as well.

I prefer [name_m]Felix[/name_m]! Though I do love [name_m]Alby[/name_m].