Bruce, Nigel, and Stuart?

Hello berries! I hope you all are having a great day! :rainbow:

I’ve recently fallen for the really crusty old man names (the ones beyond [name_m]Harry[/name_m], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Earnest[/name_m], etc), and I’m looking for opinions on the specific three I’ve begun to absolutely adore!

It started with [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], a name that’s forever tied to the chocolate-cake eating [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] character. He’s soft and melodious, but still masculine. The nickname [name_m]Brucie[/name_m] really sold him for me! I imagine a little brown-haired boy running in the grass, chasing after bunnies and butterflies, giggling away! I adore the nature connection it has through its meaning, and the ending S sound is really pleasant to say.

I jokingly started playing around with [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] in combinations, and realized I really enjoy the sweet feeling he has. I feel like [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] would be a tortoise-shell glasses wearing boy, academic and friendly, with an undeniable sensitivity to him. Although he’s quite dated, I feel like that’s part of his charm. Both the meaning and nickname option of [name_m]Neil[/name_m] are also appealing, and I think the [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] connection is very sweet.

After beginning to like [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] and [name_m]Nigel[/name_m], I thought this was a little bit of a niche name genre or theme that I enjoyed, so I began to look for more names that fit! I “stumbled” across [name_m]Stuart[/name_m], and after momentarily questioning why I was suddenly loving these real old man names (that aren’t having a bit of a revival), I began to really like it as well! I enjoy the nickname option of [name_m]Art[/name_m], and I think he really livens him up a bit, and having another children’s literature connection (Stuart [name_m]Little[/name_m] this time!), really solidified him to me. I feel like [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] is impossibly more academic and nerdy than [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] (which is a very positive thing in my opinion), and even perhaps pretentious, which seems to be a reoccurring love of mine.

Anyhow, even with my love for [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m], and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m], I still question if they’re too stuffy and crusty? And perhaps so far away from revival that they are too dated?

So, with this being said, what do you personally think of the names [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m], and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think they’re too dated and should strictly be guilty pleasure names? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think they match with my current list of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Fox[/name_m], [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_m]Cassian[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Valentine[/name_m], [name_m]Gardener[/name_m], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]Earnest[/name_m], [name_m]Claude[/name_m], [name_m]Amos[/name_m], [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m], and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]? And as a bonus question, what middle names would you give brothers [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] “Brucie,” [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] “Neil,” and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] “Art”?

I would kind of love to meet a trio of brothers named [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m]. How fun!

I don’t see any reason not to add them to your list. They’re a step removed from [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m], but I could see them as brothers to [name_m]Earnest[/name_m], [name_m]Claude[/name_m] or [name_m]Amos[/name_m] particularly.

I’d probably go for classic, timeless middle names that no one would question for them:

[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Michael[/name_m] [name_m]Brucie[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Andrew[/name_m] [name_m]Neil[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] [name_m]Art[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] → I do find it a bit ‘brutish’ in sound but the only [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] I’ve known was in my ballet classes :person_shrugging: I think of [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Forsyth[/name_m] and Strictly Come Dancing - a bit of glitz and glamour, dedication and energy. Cool, outdoorsy meaning, a bit rugged and unexpected. I like the ‘Bru’ sound and while it’s not my favourite, I’d be pleased to meet a little [name_m]Bruce[/name_m]

[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] → I like the sharp, bright ‘NY’ sound - and I get that nerdy, friendly feel that you write about. However, where I am, I think of a particularly grim ‘politician’ and it just doesn’t appeal anymore

[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] → cool sound, one that feels more familiar than it is, and I like the possibility of [name_m]Art[/name_m]. It feels rich in history and looks concise. The [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] I knew growing up was also a dancer and actor :person_shrugging:

To be honest, they’re really not my style and wouldn’t be my first choice, but I think these sets would work (from your list)

[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] and [name_m]Earnest[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] and [name_m]Claude[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] and [name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] and [name_m]Amos[/name_m]

Middle names ideas:

[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Herschel[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Forrester[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Malachi[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Augustine[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Lazuli[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_f]Indigo[/name_f]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_f]Marlow[/name_f]

[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Sinclair[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Simeon[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Rupert[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Oisin[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Adair[/name_m]

[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Emerson[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Murphy[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Amaury[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Romeo[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Elyan[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]

1 Like

I’m not too sure about [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] but I love [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m]! I feel like [name_m]George[/name_m] may possibly go the best with them, but I think you should definitely add them to the list if you like them!

For middles I’d go for…

[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Graham[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] – I have a really unfortunate personal association with this name, so I have a hard time being unbiased. There is something rather sweet about it on a little boy, though! Slightly harsh sounding, but the ending softens it up.

[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] – I actually prefer just [name_m]Neil[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] main association with [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] is a stereotypical [name_f]British[/name_f] geek, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing! I have a hard time picturing it on an athlete, though.

[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] – [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of your list! I grew up with one (though he’s Stewart) and always found it unexpected and pleasant. I also love the nickname [name_m]Art[/name_m], but [name_m]Stu[/name_m] really does nothing for me. [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Little[/name_m] is a great association, too!

Together, they’re more clunky / not as revival-ready as your other names, but they don’t feel completely out of place. I think they fit especially with [name_m]Otis[/name_m] and [name_m]Amos[/name_m].

For middle names –

[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Owen[/name_m] (nn Bo?), [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Finn[/name_m], and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Rhys[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]River[/name_m], and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Blaise[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Apollo[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Zephyr[/name_m], and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Maverick[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Hayes[/name_m], and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Knox[/name_m]

1 Like

I love [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], like [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] but personally not keen on [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] although that’s due to a bad personal connection, beyond that it’s a fine name.

Sorry for any repeats :blush:

[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Wendell[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Carlisle[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Ivan[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Pascal[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Soloman[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Leopold[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Cassian[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Titus[/name_m]
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Zebedee[/name_m]

[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] Montgomery/ [name_m]Monty[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Eamon[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Keith[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Hubert[/name_m]
[name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Julian[/name_m]

[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Barney[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Archibald[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Jethro[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Claude[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Gaston[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Robin[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Chester[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Nelson[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Giles[/name_m]

1 Like

@Chococat Something about their overall crustiness is so charming! I really like [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]! Thank you!!

@Greyblue [name_f]Love[/name_f] hearing your thoughts and the imagery you get from them! It’s kind of funny that both your [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] were dancers! I’m really liking [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]! [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Forrester[/name_m] and [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] are both stunning; [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Sinclair[/name_m], and [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Oisin[/name_m] are brilliant; and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Murphy[/name_m] are just gorgeous! Thank you so much!!

@EleanorVintage These combos are gorgeous! [name_m]George[/name_m] is quite sweet with them. Thank you!!

@VEL Ooh, I do like [name_m]Otis[/name_m] and [name_m]Amos[/name_m] with them! These combos are absolutely lovely. I especially adore [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Finn[/name_m], [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Rhys[/name_m], (love the way [name_m]Finn[/name_m] and [name_m]Rhys[/name_m] freshen them up!), [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]August[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]River[/name_m], and [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Hayes[/name_m]! Thanks a lot!

@PeachyMum Ooh, [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Cassian[/name_m] (I just adore [name_m]Cassian[/name_m], he’s been on my list for years!), [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m], and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Claude[/name_m] are absolutely captivating! I also really love [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Edgar[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Eamon[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Barney[/name_m], [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Archibald[/name_m], and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] [name_m]Robin[/name_m]. Thank you so much!

4 Likes

Hearing you talk about the name [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] put it on my list! You really sold it. I think it goes well with [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Otis[/name_m], and [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] on your list.

1 Like

Great names! I know a [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], late 60s. He’s not far off from your description; he has a collection of wooden ducks :duck:

Some other names that I think would fit:
[name_m]Adrian[/name_m]
[name_m]Darryl[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerald[/name_m]
[name_m]Warren[/name_m]
Llyod
[name_m]Marvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Wendell[/name_m]
[name_m]Millard[/name_m]
[name_m]Lyle[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Bruce[/name_m], [name_m]Nigel[/name_m] and [name_m]Stuart[/name_m] are such a cool sibset!

They definitely are older names but they sound great together and I think are all due for a comeback

Not stuffy or crusty at all!!!

1 Like

@saffemi Aww, that’s so exciting! I’m so glad he’s going to get more love <3

@river_dweller Oh my gosh, he sounds like a catch haha! [name_m]Marvin[/name_m] and [name_m]Millard[/name_m] are super sweet! Thank you!

@chelsia Thank you so much!