Build A Name From My Viking Ancestors

I have been playing on Ancestory.com and was able to follow my Norwegian roots back to the 1500’s. Everyone on my father’s side came from a town called Laerdal (I’m going to visit this summer). Here are some of the boy names I found. Can you help me build a cool name that will work in the modern world? Last name is [name]Johnson[/name]…

[name]Knut[/name]
[name]Lars[/name]
[name]Ola[/name]
[name]Anders[/name]
[name]Nils[/name]
Agrim
Solle
Torstein
[name]Hans[/name]
Hallvard
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Tor[/name]
[name]Tore[/name]
[name]Henrik[/name]
Torleif
[name]Lasse[/name]
[name]Hakon[/name]

[name]How[/name] about these?

[name]Henrik[/name] [name]Tor[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
Torleif [name]Nils[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Tore[/name] Hallvard [name]Johnson[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]! Is [name]Leo[/name] Torvald gone? I loved that! :slight_smile: From those three, my favorite is [name]Henrik[/name] [name]Tor[/name]. I think that Torleif is also pretty cool, I really love [name]Nils[/name], and I think that Hallvard is handsome, too. With [name]Tore[/name], I think of the verb, so I like [name]Thor[/name] better.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Leo[/name] Torvald is still on the table, but it’s nice to find these legitimate family names. And I don’t mind going into delivery with a few options. I hadn’t seen the Torleif variation before and like it alot. But then [name]Leo[/name] Torleif doesn’t work as well. My wife likes [name]Kelly[/name] Torleif, and it’s kind of growing on me. [name]Kelly[/name] seems to be a girls name nowadays but maybe it’s time to reclaim it for the boys! When I was growing up it was a boys name with [name]Kelly[/name] Slatter, [name]Kelly[/name]'s Heroes, and [name]Kelly[/name] the cool kid from The Bad News Bears.

[name]LOVE[/name] norwegian and scandinavian names.
i like henrik, lars, solle, torstein, and anders

I love these:
[name]Lars[/name] [name]Hakon[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Anders[/name] [name]Finn[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Lasse[/name] [name]Hakon[/name] or [name]Lasse[/name] [name]Henrik[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

I adore the names [name]Lars[/name] (nn [name]Lasse[/name]), [name]Anders[/name], [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Hakon[/name] (I’ve also seen it written [name]Haakon[/name], which I found gorgeous!

I am drawn to [name]Anders[/name] Hallvard. [name]Love[/name] it!

My viking ancestors are
[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Chester[/name]
[name]Clifford[/name]

they’re actually my only family I know about on my grandpa’s side. [name]Martin[/name] & [name]Florence[/name] were from Lillehammer, Norway. I should try to check out ancestors.com

I am drawn to [name]Anders[/name] Hallvard. [name]Love[/name] it![/quote]

Ooh! That’s a great one, [name]Susan[/name]! I love [name]Anders[/name]!

NorseDad, I really love the names on your family tree! (I wrote about [name]Kelly[/name] on your other thread…) :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Henrik[/name] [name]Lars[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]

some of the other suggestions are nice too

I am drawn to [name]Anders[/name] Hallvard. [name]Love[/name] it![/quote]

Ooh! That’s a great one, [name]Susan[/name]! I love [name]Anders[/name]!

NorseDad, I really love the names on your family tree! (I wrote about [name]Kelly[/name] on your other thread…) :slight_smile:

Good luck! :-)[/quote]

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]! [name]Anders[/name] is so handsome!

[name]Henrik[/name] [name]Anders[/name] gets my vote!

Wow awesome names, norsedad!

My favorites for first names are [name]Lars[/name], [name]Anders[/name], Torstein, [name]Hans[/name], Hallvard, Torleif, [name]Tor[/name], [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Hakon[/name]!
[name]Man[/name] I just love these names!

Torleif [name]Hans[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Lars[/name] Torstein [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Hakon[/name] [name]Anders[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Tor[/name] Hallvard [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Finn[/name] [name]Henrik[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Anders[/name] Agrim [name]Johnson[/name]
Torstein Hallvard [name]Johnson[/name]

There are so many great combinations!

By the by, I love [name]Kelly[/name] for a boy! :slight_smile:

[name]Anders[/name] [name]Henrik[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] would be my choice :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone - I’m glad you like these names. Funny how they came up with great names before the internet or name books! I am leaning toward using Torleif, which means '[name]Thor[/name]‘s descendent’. Then we could use the nn [name]Thor[/name], [name]Tor[/name], or [name]Leif[/name]. It also belonged to my furthest back ancestor and became a surname for a few generations - Torleifson. We are trying to work the name in with [name]Kelly[/name] or [name]Ray[/name]/[name]Raymond[/name] (my father).

Maybe I should go back and fish out the girls names for you like [name]Magdalena[/name], Gunnhild, [name]Marita[/name], Randine, [name]Guri[/name] and [name]Brita[/name]…to name a few.

[name]Raymond[/name] Torleif [name]Johnson[/name] - love it.

Hallvard is also seriously interesting. I like these sorts of names; their harshness seems like a virtue.

[name]Finn[/name] is the only one I can see working, unless [name]Anders[/name] went by [name]Andy[/name]. [name]Knut[/name] is cute but its also the name of the baby polar bear in Germany and has gotten a lot of attention because of the little cub.

As triplicate suggested: [name]Raymond[/name] Torleif [name]Johnson[/name] is a great name. Torleif [name]Ray[/name] or Torleif [name]Kelly[/name] [name]Johnson[/name] are nice too. [name]Henrik[/name] is another solid choice with an easy nn in [name]Henry[/name].

On the girl’s side I love [name]Magdalena[/name], [name]Marita[/name], and [name]Brita[/name].

[name]Anders[/name] [name]Hans[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Hans[/name] [name]Anders[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Finn[/name] [name]Henrik[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]
[name]Henrik[/name] [name]Lars[/name] [name]Johnson[/name]