Caber , Yay or Nay?

[name_f]Love[/name_f] the name [name_m]Cabe[/name_m]
Would love a 2 syllable name to shorten to [name_m]Cabe[/name_m].
Hubby loves [name_m]Cable[/name_m] but i think it sounds to much like an object.
And i dont like [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] as an option.

Came across a post where someone had used the name Caber , opinions please?

I’m assuming it’s pronounced like kay-ber? I’ve never heard it before, but Google is telling me that it’s a Scottish slang term for a young tree’s trunk that is thrown in a sporting event called a caber toss. I think it’s an intriguing connection, but I’d be interested to hear a Scottish perspective on it!

1 Like

Never come across it before, but it has a sort of surname-y vibe! I think it could work (unless, as @VEL says, any Scottish people have a very different perspective)

1 Like

I think Caber works well enough as a name. you might also like Mccabe/McCabe to get the nickname [name_m]Cabe[/name_m]?

It could be a standalone name too but I’m sure some people will think it’s a typo for [name_m]Gabe[/name_m]

2 Likes

This is a great suggestion!

[name_f]My[/name_f] first reaction to Caber is dubious. I don’t mind the sound, but it seems made up or trying to be something it’s not. [name_f]My[/name_f] first association is the word caper, which is fun. After seeing a pp’s comment I googled Caber and the Scottish sport instantly comes up. This actually makes me more enthused about Caber as a name. It gives it more authenticity, and a reference point imo. The main issue I’m seeing is that the word caber has a different pronunciation than the way I’m assuming you want the name pronounced.

This would be a bit stretchy, but throwing out the idea of [name_m]Maccabee[/name_m] nn [name_m]Cabe[/name_m].

1 Like

I suggested McCabe but I also really like [name_m]Maccabee[/name_m] and second it! You could get [name_m]Cabe[/name_m], [name_m]Mac[/name_m] & [name_f]Bee[/name_f] out of it too :face_holding_back_tears::heart:

1 Like

I don’t LOVE Caber , but I am a firm believer in picking the name you love the most . So I would probably stick with [name_m]Cabe[/name_m] rather than look for an alternative

I do like the suggestion of McCabe

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Caber is pronounced Kay-buh :blush: its how i would be pronouncing it.
Im in [name_f]England[/name_f] so lots of people here would know that pronunciation as we are fairly aware of the scottish game of Caber toss so the pronounciation isnt an issue.

Iv only seen it referenced as a name once before but it did inspire me as its different but i am finding peoples opinions interesting and helpful so thankyou.

Iv seen [name_m]Mccabe[/name_m] but i believe that would get shortened to [name_m]Mack[/name_m] before [name_m]Cabe[/name_m] and it reminds me of the word Macabre :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Nay did me but that’s because I dated a Scottish guy and let’s just say he made very funny but extremely puerile jokes about “kilts” & “cabers”.

I would either use Cabe alone or Caleb or else consider Gabe - possibly for Gabriel or Gable.

[name_m]Caliber[/name_m] might get you to [name_m]Cabe[/name_m].

No. Definitely no for [name_m]Cable[/name_m].

[name_m]Corbin[/name_m]?