Calan?

What do you think of the name [name]Calan[/name]? Its original form is [name]Cailean[/name] (too complicated). Alternative is [name]Kalan[/name]. I’m worried that these Gaelic names will go out of fashion. I want a classic but original name! Thanks all

[name]Calan[/name] is too close to [name]Caden[/name]/[name]Cayden[/name]/[name]Kaden[/name], etc., for me, although I know it isn’t one of those trendy “yooneek” names, it has that look and sound for me.

What about [name]Kellan[/name]? I think [name]Kellan[/name] is really cool, and while it’s not Gaelic, it’s close to [name]Calan[/name].

Some more Gaelic names I can pronounce:

[name]Alasdair[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name] (well, it’s not exactly Gaelic, but it’s close to the Gaelic [name]Benneit[/name])
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Keane[/name]
[name]Magnus[/name]

Good luck! (Are you only searching for Gaelic names?)

Since [name]Calan[/name] is actually pronounced like [name]Colin[/name] (which [name]Cailean[/name] is the Gaelic spelling for), you’d probably be creating a whole lot of confusion for a result that wasn’t that distinctive. I’m a bit confused about what you’re looking for. You say you’re worried that Gaelic names will go out of fashion, which suggests that you want a name that’s IN fashion. Yet you also want a name that’s “classic but original” – which pretty much limits you to names that are not really in fashion!

If you genuinely want classic but original, there are lots of great Gaelic (and other) choices, such as [name]Kellan[/name], as [name]Jill[/name] suggested, [name]Kieran[/name], [name]Piran[/name], [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Callum[/name] and so on.

I love it and I also love most Gaelic names … here are some others,

[name]Cullen[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Clyde[/name]
[name]Bowen[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
Conland
[name]Ryland[/name]

I’m considering the same name for my son too (phonetically)

My spelling options are either as;

[name]Kallen[/name] or [name]Kallin[/name]
[name]Callen[/name] or Callin

I know an aquaintence who spells his name “[name]Kallin[/name]”
I personally prefer it with the ‘K’ but that’s just me!
Good luck!

I know a 14 yr old who is called [name]Callan[/name]. Great name on a very cool kid. It’a a nice choice away from the more popular [name]Callum[/name].

I love that name! I thought I had made it up a year or two ago, but then I saw an alternative spelling of it on a baby name website.

If I end up using it, I don’t know how I’m going to spell it. Here are come options that I’m looking at:

[name]Calan[/name]
Cahlan
[name]Callan[/name]
[name]Kalan[/name]
Kahlan
[name]Kallan[/name]

Of corse it can other be spelled with a “on”, “yn”, “en”, or “in” at the end, but I don’t think any of those look masculine enough.

This name is cool and modern, but not over-used or trendy…nice choice! =]