Calia Joy

What do you think of this name for my daughter? First impressions?

We will pronounce it Cah-[name]LEE[/name]-ah ( say it like [name]Maria[/name]), would you have said it right?

Does [name]Tyler[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] (18 mo) and [name]Calia[/name] [name]Joy[/name] sound good as a sibset?

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Calia[/name] fits into the “crazy made-up name” catagory, or pretty and different?

[name]How[/name] would you describe the name/ what kind of person do you think of?

Thank you

It sounds made-up. I’m not a fan. I would have pronounced it CAH-lia at first, but ca-[name]LEE[/name]-a is pretty intuitive. Why not [name]Calista[/name], [name]Calanthe[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], Caelina, [name]Kalina[/name], [name]Talia[/name], or [name]Malia[/name]? Those are all real names.

I would say [name]CA[/name]-leah. I’m not loving it, personally. LIked the pp’s sugestion of [name]Calista[/name]. [name]Calista[/name] [name]Joy[/name] would be beyond beautiful.

It sounds pretty made up to me, and at first I pronounced it [name]CALI[/name]-uh. What about [name]Calla[/name]? [name]Calista[/name]? [name]Calista[/name] [name]Joy[/name] sounds beautiful! You could nn her [name]Callie[/name].

I was trying to pronounce it like Callalily and then it sorta ended abruptly cuz no ‘y’ but an ‘a’. Then [name]Ca[/name]-leah. It might get a bit butchered.

I have to agree with the others. I would have pronounced it [name]CAL[/name]-ee-uh, which sounds a little prettier to my ear. I wish it wasn’t an invented name, because I think it’s got a lot of things going for it. I’d vote for [name]Calista[/name], though.

I agree with the pp…I love the suggestions of [name]Calla[/name] [name]Joy[/name] or [name]Calista[/name] [name]Joy[/name]!

Its actually not a made up name, its a greek name that means most beautiful… but I guess you answered my question in that you all thought it was made up. [name]Don[/name]'t like [name]Calista[/name] though, just makes me think of the actress [name]Calista[/name] Flockheart

I think it’s pretty but probably would have pronounced it cal-ya like [name]Dahlia[/name] or [name]Talia[/name]. But I think ca-lee-uh (like you intend) is prettier.

Are you sure about the etymology? [name]Calia[/name] wasn’t in the Nameberry database or [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name]'s. [name]Both[/name] of them list [name]Calista[/name] as the Greek name meaning most beautiful. Some of the other name websites have very sketchy name definitions, if that is where you saw it.

I’m not an expert by any means, though. In fact, when I first saw this thread, I started to answer “it looks made up,” but decided to check myself first, as I have been wrong in the past!

Yeah, it has the same meaning as [name]Calista[/name]… its the [name]Cali[/name] part that means beautiful.

[name]Calia[/name] certainly does seem invented–maybe not by you, but by someone–but then again, every name was invented at some point. It’s not like they fell out of the sky! I think that you could possibly consider [name]Calia[/name] as a variation on [name]Calista[/name], [name]Calla[/name], [name]Calliope[/name], [name]Calanthe[/name], and the rest. I don’t know much Greek at all, but I do know that cal means ‘beautiful’.

Unlike some of the previous posters, I thought that it would be pronounced “cuh-[name]LEE[/name]-uh”, to ryhme with [name]Malia[/name], and I think [name]Joy[/name] would go wonderfully with [name]Calia[/name], or any of the similar names.