Calling baby by middle name

x

Oh, I love [name]Fredi[/name] and [name]Jane[/name]!

Here are my thoughts:
Call them what you love. If you love [name]Stella[/name] and [name]Elena[/name], don’t let popularity and pronunciation issues hold you back. However, if in your heart you think they should be [name]Fredi[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] (I love the meaning behind those names, too!), then by all means call them that. They don’t recognize their own name until 6-8 months, so you aren’t confusing them any (and your toddler will get used to it quickly, like everyone else). It’s not like you are completely changing the name and starting over with a new name (you don’t have to go through all the legal stuff, which is nice). Sure, it might be a pain to explain to people that they are going by their middle names now, but that is very short term. You want to enjoy their names for a lifetime! Listen to your gut…if your girls seem better suited with the names [name]Fredi[/name] and [name]Jane[/name], then go for it! It is not too late at all in my opinion.

I know a family where everyone went by their middle name except one daughter–even the parents. I knew my friend [name]Heather[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name] as [name]Lisa[/name] for quite a while before I found out her name was really “[name]Heather[/name].” But, here’s the thing. Her name’s really [name]Lisa[/name]. That’s what everyone calls her. I’m pretty sure that’s what she calls herself. [name]Heather[/name] is her secret name, it just happens to be in front.

Honestly, I used to think this was weird, but the past few days I have been toying with the idea of doing this for just one of my (future) daughters, because I love the name I’ve come up with, but I love the nickname for the middle name.

Your girls are so young, I say do it! [name]Fredi[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] are cute! :slight_smile: