Calypso and Eponine

What do you think of [name]Calypso[/name]? I’d really appreciate opinions!

[name]EDIT[/name] : Also, what do you think of Eponine? Specifically, I really love it, but I can envision my future daughter asking “Why did you name me after the one who DOESN’T get the guy?” Tragic heroines aren’t totally rejected as namesakes, [name]Juliet[/name] is in frequent use and I’ve heard [name]Ophelia[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name] both, but is Eponine different?

Thank you all in advance,
[name]Auburn[/name]

I think it’s pretty and different! WDYT of [name]Calliope[/name]? It’s always been my favorite of the [name]Cal[/name]- names.

I love it! It would definitely receive a few raised eyebrows, but it’s truly a beautiful name. The sound of it is lovely. A bold choice.

I am wowed by this name every time I see it! One of my favorites from Greek mythology. I also love [name]Ariadne[/name]!

I like this name a lot! I think it’s more accessible than [name]Calliope[/name], which undoubtedly would encounter pronunciation issues, but more interesting than [name]Calista[/name]. Interestingly I know a [name]Calypso[/name]- she’s in middle school now I think- and I went to high school with her sister. The name is really cool on her. [name]Callie[/name] would be a really cute nn.

I adore [name]Calypso[/name]! Interestingly, I’ve known a male [name]Kalypso[/name]. Very strange. I only like it for a girl though, with the nickname [name]Caly[/name].

I’d probably assume you either love the instrument or are a big Pirates of the Caribbean fan. I wouldn’t have the guts to give that as a first name, but I’d middle name it in a heart beat…I love interesting middle names.

“I’d middle name it” – I love that phrase! lol

I am having trouble picturing it for myself because we have a “C” last name and it just sounds funny when I say it with our last name. I like it though. It has a nice sound and “look” to it.
Let me try it with a different last name:
[name]Calypso[/name] [name]Smith[/name]
[name]Calypso[/name] [name]Miller[/name]
[name]Calypso[/name] [name]Franklin[/name]

its great

[name]Lovely[/name]. Unusual. [name]Just[/name] a touch exotic, a hint of gypsy. I’m loving it. (But I’m secretly hoping your baby has dark hair. Not this absolutely would not work on a blonde!)

Thank you, Berries! It was really great to read all of your positive responses; I like unusual names, but not ones which are unappealing to everyone else!

Now, I have another question to add - Eponine, what do you think of it? I’ll expand further in an edit to my original post.

Thank you all again,
[name]Auburn[/name].

curious to see the replies about the tragic heroine situation. I’ve liked [name]Ophelia[/name] for years, but I can’t quite commit to it due to it’s literary drama! [sometimes it also makes me cringe that it sounds like you are saying “I feel ya” and then I ask myself why I even like the name at all!]

Maybe your daughter won’t grow up and ask why you picked the one who didnt’ get the guy. Maybe she’ll just admire the strong character you picked for her name?

I love them both, I don’t imagine she will have a problem with her namesake, Eponine was strong, corageous, with the best songs! :wink:

Spoken by one who has performed this role, people do love [name]Eppie[/name]!

I’m not really a fan of [name]Calypso[/name] but I have always loved Eponine! [name]Ophelia[/name] as well… maybe I’m just attracted to these interesting characters and their names!

People may love Eponine in the musical, but she was quite horrid in the novel. The sound of the name doesn’t make up for the bad character for me, so I wouldn’t use it. However, I do love the nn [name]Eppie[/name] so if you decide to use Eponine that could be very cute!

I hate to do this to you, but [name]Calypso[/name] kind of sounds like a stripper to me, no offense. Eponine is just TOO tied to the novel for me, and I can’t see using it on an actual person. I mean I understand liking it in theory, but I can’t imagine actually saying, “Eponine, walk the dog.” or “Eponine, do your homework.” It’s just too grand or comes with too much baggage for me to see on a real person.

[name]Calypso[/name] makes me think of beaches, waves and melodious harmonies… not an all together bad image for a name to make. I think that it would work with the right child.
Eponine makes me pause for a bit. All my children’s middle names are from literary sources, but honestly this isn’t the most flattering character to name your beautiful child after.

[name]Calypso[/name] is really lovely, I do the of the Pirates movies though.

Eponine is a name I really love. For me, I prefer her over [name]Cosette[/name]. I would like having a sort of tragic name, it makes it more interesting imo.

I know a 9 year old called [name]Calypso[/name], her sister is [name]Isolde[/name]. Personally it reminds me of [name]John[/name] [name]Denver[/name] and that isn’t such a good thing.

[name]Calypso[/name] is cute, and I love [name]Callie[/name] as a nn.

I don’t know about Eponine. I love both the novel and musical. But in the novel, Eponine has like no teeth and is a drunk. Like it isn’t like [name]Marius[/name] is friends with her and he is oblivious. Eponine is delusional and thinks that [name]Marius[/name] not being a jerk is equivalent to him loving her. It isn’t a tragic heroine, she is a tragic human being. I would just be wary of giving a child a name with literally one person associated with it. Also Eponine was supposed to sound vulgar and disgusting, according to [name]Hugo[/name]'s narrator.

Still, [name]Eppie[/name] is adorable