Can a Mary use Maria/similar names?

Would it be too close for [name_f]Mary[/name_f] to use names like [name_u]Maria[/name_u], molly, maren, etc.? Not expecting just collecting. I don’t know that I’d actually want to use that but I was just wondering if that would be too close/similar?

My grandma named her first born [name_u]Maria[/name_u], she died soon after birth and then she named her next child [name_u]Marie[/name_u]. It’s weird. The family still comments on it. I don’t think that [name_f]Molly[/name_f] and [name_f]Maren[/name_f] are that similar though. Same with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], [name_f]Liesel[/name_f], and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] despite sharing an etymology.

I think it’d be fine! Though I’d definitely think they were honoring themselves deliberately.

I think so -if you don’t mind people thinking there’s a connection

1 Like

I live in a country where half of the female population has either [name_u]Maria[/name_u] or [name_f]Ana[/name_f] (or [name_f]Mariana[/name_f]) as a first or middle name. I’ve met many families who choose [name_u]Maria[/name_u] for all the girls. I don’t appreciate this, but I also don’t think it is odd, just very unoriginal.
Having different variations would be a good alternative. I believe it work!

Yeah I think it’s really cute actually. [name_u]Maria[/name_u] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] are too close to [name_f]Mary[/name_f] for my taste, but names like [name_f]Maren[/name_f], [name_f]Marina[/name_f], and [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] are suitable.