Can Alfie stand alone?

I have been going back and forth with this one, and can’t seem to make up my mind…

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] can stand alone, or must it be solely a nickname for [name_m]Alfred[/name_m]? Thoughts?

Well personally I prefer it as a nn for [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], though in the UK there are a lot of just-Alfies. I’d use it as a nn, unless you really hate [name_m]Alfred[/name_m].

Agreed. I don’t really think [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] can stand on his own as well as other nicknames; it still seems a bit cutesy. It could also be a nickname for [name_m]Ralph[/name_m]/[name_m]Ralf[/name_m]/[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] though, which is an alternative if you dislike [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] :slight_smile:

I agree with CopyandPaste :wink:

I’m sure that thousands of British parents will disagree with me but…[name_u]Alfie[/name_u] is a name I find hard to take seriously. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t get me wrong. It’s a great name for a little boy but it doesn’t age well. Since we spend most of our lives as adults, why give a child a name that is perpetually stuck in childhood?

Personally, I wouldn’t use a nickname as a first name. [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] is such a lovely nickname, but I would just find it really hard to take a [name_m]Judge[/name_m] [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] surname seriously. [name_u]Alfie[/name_u], to me, is a little child. Besides [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] is a lovely name, I would go with that one.

I don’t really think it can stand alone. Sorry.

My FIL is named [name_u]Billie[/name_u] [name_u]Dale[/name_u] and all I can think is “You poor man”. Its not short for [name_m]William[/name_m], its [name_u]Billie[/name_u]. So he goes by [name_m]Bill[/name_m]. It was probably adorable when he was a boy, but not so much on a teenager or adult.

Is there another name other than [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] that uses the nickname that you [name_f]DO[/name_f] like?