Can Bonnie be short for anything?

I like [name]Bonnie[/name], but it feels like more of a nn than a full name?

Anyone know any full names that it could be a nn for?

(I know it is a name itself)

[name]Bonita[/name] maybe?

[name]Bonita[/name] nn [name]Bonnie[/name] was my first thought.

I thought it used to be a NN for [name]Elizabeth[/name]?

I just thought of another one: [name]Ebony[/name] nn [name]Bonnie[/name].

[name]Bonita[/name] (as pp mentioned)
[name]Ebony[/name]
[name]Briony[/name]
[name]Bronte[/name]
[name]Bronwen[/name]
[name]Bronya[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name] ([name]Bee[/name]-on-ka could lend itself to [name]Bonnie[/name])
[name]Briana[/name] (similar to above)

maybe stretching it to (The letter v and b are said similar in some accents): [name]Yvonne[/name], [name]Veronica[/name], [name]Avalon[/name]

Anything meaning “beautiful” could work, such as:
[name]Anwen[/name]
Caoimbhe
[name]Branwen[/name]
[name]Callista[/name]
Eder
[name]Rosalind[/name] - from the Latin rosa linda- beautiful rose
[name]Sigrid[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Frida[/name]
[name]Zuri[/name] - Swahili

[name]Bonita[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
Bellona
[name]Bronwen[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]

There is actually already a [name]Bonnie[/name] thread: Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

[name]Bernadette[/name] I´ve definitely heard. [name]Elizabeth[/name] too. [name]Bonita[/name] and [name]Ebony[/name] are not my style so I can´t weigh in there.

1 Like

I feel like you can get to [name]Bonnie[/name] from any name that has B and N close together…

[name]Sabina[/name]? [name]Sabine[/name]?
[name]Robin[/name]?
[name]Albany[/name]?
[name]Benicia[/name]?

1 Like

[name]Siobhan[/name], maybe?

1 Like

I had a high school friend named [name]Bonaventure[/name] who wisely went by [name]Bonnie[/name]. :slight_smile:

I second [name]Siobhan[/name]. I have always thought of it as a nn for [name]Elizabeth[/name].

[name]Siobhan[/name] (even though that technically is pronounced with a “v” sound)

I love [name]Bonnie[/name] and think it stands fine on its own, but I do like it as a nn for [name]Elizabeth[/name]. Didn’t know that.

I went to school with a [name]Bonnie[/name], whose name was [name]Yvonne[/name].

[name]Scarlett[/name] O’[name]Hara[/name] and [name]Rhett[/name] [name]Butler[/name]'s daughter was named [name]Eugenie[/name] [name]Victoria[/name], but her nn was “[name]Bonnie[/name] [name]Blue[/name]” [name]Butler[/name]!

It could work for [name]Siobhan[/name], if you wanted. However, I have a whole other set of issues with [name]Siobhan[/name], which is that people’s intuitive pronunciation tends to be SIGH-oh-bahn/ben/ban, which couldn’t be further from the actual pronunciation … but that’s another thread.

Anyway, the name [name]Siobhan[/name] gave me another idea. What is your heritage? If either of you are Scottish (it would make slightly more sense then), or even if you’re not, [name]Bonnie[/name]/[name]Bonny[/name] could just be a nickname you use, since [name]Bonny[/name]/[name]Bonnie[/name] is an adjective as well that means either beautiful or (of a baby) plump and healthy-looking. A very sweet nn, [name]IMO[/name]. Basically, I don’t think it needs to connect to the name necessarily since it’s a word as well.

[name]Hope[/name] this helps somewhat! :slight_smile:

Yes I would say it’s a nickname for [name]Elizabeth[/name].

I know a [name_f]Bonita[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f].