Can Catrin Honour a Karen - Thoughts?

deleted post

If you explained the meaning to others, as you did in your post, I would feel honored, if I were [name]Karen[/name] or [name]Caitlyn[/name], to have my granddaughter ([name]Karen[/name]) or niece ([name]Caitlyn[/name]) named after me. I say go for it. The name holds meaning to you, and it isn’t simply a smoosh-y name like [name]Renesmee[/name] [name]Carlie[/name] [name]Cullen[/name]. [name]Catrin[/name] [name]Marelle[/name] is lovely!

deleted post

deleted post

deleted post

My mother is a [name]Karen[/name] as well :slight_smile: I think your idea would be perfect!!! I have also grown to really love the name [name]Karen[/name]… I have a friend taht named her little girl [name]Lucia[/name] [name]Karen[/name], and I thought it was adorable!!

Very sweet! But I would love to hear [name]Karen[/name] on a child, I love the name!

Apparently there’s a lot of us with moms named Karen! lol. I’ve opted for either Kate or Catherine to honor my mom, but I definitely think Catrin could work! It’s a nice nod to your heritage and it still means the same thing as Karen, and it’s still a form of the root name your mom’s name comes from, so I would say it’s close enough. :slight_smile: That’s what I tell myself all the time, anyway, haha.

How do you say Catrin, btw? At first I thought maybe kah-TREEN, but now I am thinking maybe kah-TRIN? I’m embarrassed to say this, since I apparently have a good bit of Welsh in me, but I really know very little about Welsh names…

Good luck!

ETA: Although it isn’t Welsh, have you considered Maren? I think it would nicely combine the Katherines, Karens, Caitlyns, Marys, and such… Although that might not be what you’re looking for, haha. I do think Catrin Marelle is very pretty.

deleted post

[name]Catrin[/name] [name]Marelle[/name] is beautiful and definitely honors both your mom and sister :slight_smile:

deleted post

deleted post

deleted post

haha, no, actually, she was a 50s baby! She started her family a bit later in life, I guess. :slight_smile:

Hmm, [name]Maren[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] is a bit problematic. :confused: My first thought was [name]Carys[/name]/[name]Cerys[/name]–is that Welsh? It’s really embarrassing how little I know about Welsh anything, haha. [name]How[/name] do you say [name]Lili[/name]? I’ve heard some say like [name]Lily[/name] or like [name]Leelee[/name], but I’m guessing those are other cultures entirely, I don’t know what it would be for Welsh. I do really like [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name] [name]Lili[/name], though! Very sweet.

I just googled Welsh girls’ names, because I’m obviously clueless, lol, and I came up with a few I think I like next to [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name] (or just [name]Maren[/name], really, since I would think you could use it with other FNs…):

[name]Maren[/name] [name]Adara[/name] (means “catcher of birds”, apparently, which I think is sort of nice. It reminds me of [name]Adora[/name], which I’ve kind of been crushing on lately…)
[name]Maren[/name] [name]Betrys[/name] (I’m guessing this is the Welsh form of [name]Beatrice[/name]?)
[name]Maren[/name] [name]Eira[/name] (if this is AYRE-ah it probably wouldn’t sound the best… I’ve always heard people say EYE-rah, but, granted, they’re from places like [name]France[/name] and the US, not [name]Wales[/name], lol)
[name]Maren[/name] Inira (means “honor”, apparently? I think [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name] Inira would be nice…)
[name]Maren[/name] Aerona
[name]Maren[/name] [name]Bethan[/name] (probably a bit rhymey but I’ve always really liked [name]Bethan[/name]… I didn’t even know it was Welsh, lol.)
[name]Maren[/name] [name]Eleri[/name]

My favorite Welsh name ever is [name]Gwendolen[/name], but I don’t think it really works with [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name]. It’s a bit long, lol.

ETA: I didn’t really notice the similarity to your [name]Claudie[/name] combo… maybe switch it to [name]Marelle[/name] [name]Catrin[/name]? [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Marelle[/name] [name]Catrin[/name]? I think that switches it up a bit. I think you could use [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Catrin[/name] [name]Marelle[/name] and not really worry about the similar in cadence… I know someone who has two girls named [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name], and those are honestly a lot closer, and I always thought she could break her little naming tradition quite easily. I wouldn’t have even noticed if you hadn’t said something…

Thank you for you kind words :slight_smile: [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] is in honor of my mom, [name]Karen[/name],
And we also have a [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Kate[/name]…so I obviously am a big fan of [name]Katherine[/name]/[name]Kate[/name] to use to honor a [name]Karen[/name]:slight_smile:

deleted post

Haha, [name]Carys[/name] does feel a bit stereotypically Welsh. :slight_smile: I’m not a huge fan of it myself but I don’t mind it as a MN and it does have a nice meaning.

I actually love [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name] [name]Lili[/name]–it’s very lilting and pretty.

I think [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name] [name]Betrys[/name] is quite pretty–it works together and the meaning of [name]Betrys[/name] is lovely… my only problem is that I’m just not too keen on most [name]Beatrice[/name] variants. [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Behati[/name], etc., aren’t really my thing, so I’m not surprised that I don’t love [name]Betrys[/name], either. It is nice, and I like it better than [name]Beatrice[/name] or the more international [name]Behati[/name], but I like [name]Beatrix[/name] a bit more then [name]Betrys[/name], personally. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, though. :slight_smile: My one problem is that when I say it, it sounds a bit like the game Tetris… lol.

Well as a [name]Karen[/name], Yes! I think any form of [name]Katherine[/name] works :wink: its all pretty much the same anyway. However, not everyone understands this concept. My husband has no clue no matter how I try to explain it hahaha

[name]Catrin[/name] [name]Marelle[/name] is a beautiful name with a wonderful family connection. That’ll be one lucky girl to get such a pretty AND meaningful name!