Can cousins have the same name?

Hello everyone! This is my first post to nameberry!!:smiley: We are expecting our second child, a baby girl, and we have issues deciding on a name.

Some names on my list are [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f]. My husband is set on the name [name_f]Paige[/name_f]. I like the name [name_f]Paige[/name_f] too, but the issue is that it is my cousin’s name. My cousin lives in [name_u]California[/name_u] and we are in Illinois. My husband doesn’t think it is that big of a deal if my cousin and our daughter have the same name because she lives so far away and that we haven’t seen each other since middle school (I am 33 now). But I am still not sure if it is a strange thing to do or not. What do you guys think? I am open to any new name suggestions! Her middle name will be [name_f]Louise[/name_f].

Our 3 year old son is named [name_m]Liam[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m], and our last name is Sw@nson. Thank you all so much! :slight_smile:

My brother had the same first name as his first cousin and now his son has the same first name as his nephew, so it doesn’t seem to have bothered him. Especially since you are talking about second cousins separated by geographical distance, I wouldn’t expect this to be a problem.

It would probably put me off tbh, and you don’t seem comfortable with it which suggests [name_f]Paige[/name_f] isn’t the name for you

If you haven’t seen her since middle school, then I really don’t think it’s an issue.

If it were me, I wouldn’t. I have a lot of first cousins whose names I really love, but I wouldn’t use any of them for my own child simply because they feel taken. However, I am really close with those cousins, so maybe for you it won’t matter. Although, I have cousins on the other side of the family that I haven’t spoken with since I was ten…and I would still find it odd to give my child one of their names, regardless of how much I loved the name.

So, it’s entirely a matter of whether or not you feel comfortable with it. If it’s going to bother you that your daughter has your cousin’s name, then I would cross [name_f]Paige[/name_f] off the list.

I wouldn’t do it personally, because it would make me uncomfortable and it doesn’t seem like you are very comfortable with it either. My cousins live far away from me as well but I wouldn’t use any of their names. I think all the names on your list would make a good sister name for [name_m]Liam[/name_m]. My favorites are [name_f]Ava[/name_f] (my name :D), [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f].

I think it would be okay given the fact they aren’t first cousins and live far away from each other. But I do think you need to consider whether you actually want to give your baby this name!

Me and my cousin have the same name and it’s not an issue for us. We only see each other in [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] and so. I really don’t care having the same name. It’s a family name and there’s more women in the family called the same way.

My sister has the same name as one of my dad’s cousins and when we see her (which is very rare) she always thinks it’s fantastic that my sister is her “namesake” even though that wasn’t my parents intention.

i also have 50 first cousins and those cousins have started to have children, we have all collectively decided that no one owns a name and to just use what you love. I have 3 cousins named a variation of [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] now and it’s not a big deal. But if you’re worried about it, maybe look for a different name you both love or talk to your cousin on how she would feel

I don’t think matters if you haven’t seen each other since middle school. I think it would be different if you had a much closer relationship. If you’re that uncomfortable with it, I would choose a different first name and use [name_f]Paige[/name_f] as a middle name. I think any of the names on your list would work well with [name_f]Paige[/name_f] as a mn with the exception of [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] [name_f]Paige[/name_f] (to me there is something that just doesn’t sound right with this combo – you may think differently).

Congratulations!

Since you live pretty far away and you haven’t seen her in 20 years I don’t think it’s weird at all to name you daughter [name_f]Paige[/name_f]. It would be weird if y’all lived in the same state and saw each other often because she might think you name your daughter after her.

Given the distance and time since you’ve seen each other, I think you’re okay. I might feel a tad awkward about it, but I’m an over-thinker. If that’s the name y’all love, go for it!

I think it’s fine since your daughter and your cousin would not be the same generation. I would check with your cousin to make sure she is ok with it though.

I don’t think it’s an issue at all. Nobody owns a name, and it doesn’t sound like you see this cousin so frequently that confusion will be an issue. Too, many families have multiple members with the same name – it’s quite common!