Can I use Asher?

Hey Berries!

I have a slight predicament. I love the name [name_u]Asher[/name_u] and have loved it for several years now. And it would definitely be in my top three boy names except for my cousin named her son that so I’ve left it out of all combos and lists so I don’t get anymore attached to the name. He’s about 4/5 years old so she obviously got to the name first. They live in another state and I used to see them once a year but I haven’t seen them in about two years. It’s not like we don’t get along, it’s just life happened and I’ve been busy. In the future I may see them once a year or (most likely) less. We also follow each other on social media but don’t talk to each other really.

So…
Would it be weird to name my son [name_u]Asher[/name_u]? Thoughts?

Should I try to find another [name_u]Ash[/name_u]- boy name I like?

Bonus: can you please suggest some [name_u]Ash[/name_u]- boy names?

Thank you so much!
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]

Would it be weird to name my son [name_u]Asher[/name_u]? Thoughts?

I confess I’d find it a little weird, especially if you still see them. However, since you rarely see them and [name_u]Asher[/name_u] isn’t completely out there, I don’t think it’s entirely unsuable

Should I try to find another [name_u]Ash[/name_u]- boy name I like?

I would personally

Bonus: can you please suggest some [name_u]Ash[/name_u]- boy names

Ashwin

2 Likes

Let the cousin know so you avoid any animosity. Make sure one has a NN for those times they’ll see each other. Maybe make it a MN instead. In the end name your kid what you want.

Ashton
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]
Ashland
[name_f]Ashlin[/name_f]/en/an
Ashar if you want something super similar.

2 Likes

I don’t think it would be weird at all, honestly. I don’t think you need to find an alternative.

1 Like

@futuremama and @Paigefoster
Thank you! Y’all are all giving me the boost of confidence I need to add it to my list!

@Greyblue
[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Ashwin[/name_m]! I’ve never heard it before! Thanks for your input!

@PRSing
Ooooh Ashar is a super cool spelling! Thanks!

I would feel weird but I guess you could always just ask her how she’d feel about it-?

I think [name_u]Ashton[/name_u] is a great alternative (I actually prefer it).

1 Like

Asher is really popular right now so I dont think your cousin should be too surprised if someone she knows uses it. It is a little weird because she’s family and you see her once a year. But if you really love the name, I think you should ask her if she would find it weird.

Just say your partner suggested it without really thinking if there are other Ashers you guys know and ask how she would feel.

I dont think you should force alternatives unless you also really love them just as much! If you’re going to partially go for it, might as well go all the way.

I would run it by your cousin. She may be flattered and not care at all. You guys live in different states so I would personally say, that would be cute. When they see each other once a year they can get to know their cousin with the same name! It may bond you guys! [name_m]Just[/name_m] say we have the same taste! But i think if you don’t talk to her about it first, it is a little weird! And if she gives you a negative reaction then you have to decide how it makes you feel. A negative reaction from someone you see once a year might not outweigh passing on a name you love!! Its ultimately your decision but I think the weird thing would be not to talk to her about it.

1 Like

I think if you really love it, you should use it!

1 Like

Ask her what she thinks.
[name_u]Ashton[/name_u]
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]
[name_u]Ash[/name_u]

1 Like

I think it’s okay if you don’t see them often and it’s truly the name you like.
Some alternatives:

Ashby
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u] (more of a girl’s name now though)
[name_u]Ashton[/name_u]
[name_f]Ashlen[/name_f]
Or simply [name_u]Ash[/name_u]

It’s not an “[name_u]Ash[/name_u]” name, but what do you think of [name_u]Archer[/name_u]? It’s very similar.