Can Jane be short for these names?

Hello, my little girl’s name has been [name_f]Jane[/name_f] the whole time, but she hates it because it doesn’t go well with the last name. Our last name is too common and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is certainly a plain name, and she feels the combination is too ordinary and common (we kinda agree). I’ve been looking for names that [name_f]Jane[/name_f] could be short for, but I’ve found none… I’ve always liked the names I’ve listed below though:
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Geneva[/name_f] (We don’t really like [name_f]Janeva[/name_f], though)
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Ginevra[/name_f]
*No suggestions for [name_f]Janine[/name_f] or [name_f]Janie[/name_f] or [name_f]Janell[/name_f], please. We are looking for the [name_f]Gen[/name_f] sound instead!

Is it too much of a stretch if we tell people her full name is one of these? We’ve immigrated (LEGAL immigrants with green cards) and are getting our citizenships next year, so we need to get this sorted. We’d like to call her [name_f]Gen[/name_f] or [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] ([name_f]Ginny[/name_f] has been a favorite of mine), but we also want to keep the name [name_f]Jane[/name_f] somewhere so that people aren’t confused. Is it weird if we tell people that we shortened one of those from the list to [name_f]Jane[/name_f]? Have you known anyone whose name is one of them and nickname she goes by is [name_f]Jane[/name_f]? So we’re thinking of a way to explain why she has gone by [name_f]Jane[/name_f] all this time. My daughter is eager to change her name to one of those but is worried that it would cause confusion.

P.S. We’re not thinking about having [name_f]Jane[/name_f] as a middle name.

I think all of these names could be a long name fro [name_f]Jane[/name_f], goodluck :slight_smile:

All of them work, imo, but my personal favourite is [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

Yep! I like the plan you guys have and I think all the names on your list work fine! I’m trying to think of [name_f]Jane[/name_f]'s I’ve known but I really don’t know that many… just a few who are middle-aged/older ladies and I don’t think their names are short for anything longer. From your names I know a [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Gen[/name_f] and a [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Gena[/name_f].

The following are a few others that may be worth considering if you hadn’t already, although some of these may be more of a stretch (?) and I prefer the names you guys already had on your list.
[name_u]Genesis[/name_u]
[name_f]Genoa[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgina[/name_f]
[name_f]Regina[/name_f]
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f]

From your list my favorites are [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] :slight_smile: I especially like [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] because it is definitely a longer name so it makes particular sense to me that someone might shorten it to [name_f]Gen[/name_f] or [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] or even [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

I don’t think there’s anything weird about saying to acquaintances or whatnot “Oh yes, she’s decided to go by her full name [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] now” or “Oh yes, she’s decided to go by [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Jane[/name_f] now - both are short for her full name [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]”. I imagine you would explain the whole thing to family, but for everyone else I think this would be perfectly fine. Good luck!

What about [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] nn [name_f]Jane[/name_f]? Any thought of [name_u]January[/name_u] nn [name_f]Jane[/name_f]?

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is nice but still quite popular. [name_u]January[/name_u] is nice but a bit bold.

You could use:
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] prn jor-jee-ah-na or jor-jay-na
[name_f]Eugenia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f]
[name_f]Genoa[/name_f]
[name_f]Jenifry[/name_f]

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] nn [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is unexpected but lovely!

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] nn [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is my favorite! Different and stylish!

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] nicknamed [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is gorgeous! My second choice is [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f].

Thank you, everyone, for your kind replies!:slight_smile:
[name_m]Just[/name_m] another quick question: Does [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] sound too [name_m]Harry[/name_m]-[name_m]Potter[/name_m]-ish? I love the name since it makes a very unique name when it’s combined with our last name (she can even get the rare first name+last name Google username!:cool:).
I love other names as well. [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] sounds lovely and innocent, and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] sounds so elegant and beautiful. [name_m]Ah[/name_m] it’s so hard to pick one. The pain…

Oh, and I’ve thought of [name_u]January[/name_u] and [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] as well, but my girl was born in [name_u]March[/name_u] and one of her best friends is named [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]. :frowning: Which brings to yet another question… Is [name_u]January[/name_u] only for babies born in [name_u]January[/name_u]?

Ginevra is a great name, that could potentially have had Jane as a nickname. I don’t think it’s too Harry Potter-ish at all, and love the zestiness of it, while still feeling sophisticated and grounded. Ginevra ‘Ginny’ formerly Jane, works really well, I believe.

As for the explanation, I think the truth works - why not just tell people (if they ask of course, otherwise don’t bother) that her name is Jane but she found it too plain and so chose a far less common name with a similar sound in it that made her a lot happier? I don’t see why that wouldn’t work…

Have you considered Janina - same letters, with a slightly zestier sound? What about Eugenia or Georgina?

Yes, [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] is lovely :slight_smile: I don’t think it’s too [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]-ish. I’ve read the books and seen the movies and I only vaguely remember [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] being [name_f]Ginny[/name_f]'s full name. Probably wouldn’t have even thought of that.

I knew a girl named [name_u]January[/name_u] who was born in some other month. It seemed like people were always asking her if she was born in [name_u]January[/name_u]. I don’t know whether that bothered her but I feel like it might get annoying.