Can Link stand alone?

We really like the name [name]Link[/name], but I don’t like [name]Lincoln[/name] at all. The only other thing I can think of is possibly [name]Collin[/name] nn [name]Link[/name], but that’s stretch (plus hubby doesn’t like it). Anyway, do you think it’s ok as a standalone? I think [name]Link[/name] [name]Larkin[/name] from Hairspray is named just [name]Link[/name]. If you don’t think it can stand alone, what could it be a nickname for?

Thanks in advance!
[name]Lyndsay[/name]

Hmm…It I think of [name]Link[/name] as a nickname, but I suppose it could stand on its own.

More possible sources for a [name]Link[/name] nickname:

[name]Franklin[/name] (last 4 letters are link, scrambled)
[name]Quinlin[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name] (yeah, stretching it…)
[name]Linden[/name] (pretty feminine, though)
[name]Declan[/name] (stretching it…)
[name]Killian[/name] ([name]Link[/name]'s in there!)
[name]Olin[/name] (Cool O name, kind of like your [name]Otis[/name]…)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your response, [name]Jill[/name]. I’m intrigued by [name]Olin[/name], never heard that before. Hubby doesn’t like any of these, he says they’re all stretching it. I’m starting to warm up to [name]Lincoln[/name], but still unsure. What do you think of [name]Lincoln[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield? [name]William[/name] is my dad and Warfield is his grandpa. I like it for the honoring, but I think it might be too heavy.

I think [name]Lincoln[/name] is really cool, but I’m wondering if Warfield (awesome name!), paired with [name]Lincoln[/name], makes it too Civil War-ish. What do you think?

If we take the war out of it, I think [name]Lincoln[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield is seriously cool. That double W [name]William[/name] Warfield pairing is great!

[name]August[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield
[name]Everett[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield
[name]Jasper[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield
[name]Leo[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield
[name]Milo[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield
[name]Otis[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield (still trying to get rid of my old-man-in-an-undershirt association)
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Wilson[/name] Warfield (just wanted to try out [name]Wilson[/name] for [name]William[/name])
[name]Xavier[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield

You have some great names in your family! :slight_smile: If you think their names are too heavy, what about [name]Wilson[/name] for [name]William[/name], and [name]Fielder[/name] or [name]Warren[/name] for Warfield?

I mentioned [name]Dashiell[/name]'s name to my friend today, and she thought it was amazing! :slight_smile:

[name]August[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield- I love this, [name]Chris[/name] doesn’t like [name]August[/name] anymore though :frowning:
[name]Bennett[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield- [name]Bennett[/name] doesn’t really work with our last name.
[name]Everett[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield- I LOVED [name]Everett[/name] until I realized that there are a lot of creeps/killers in movies and TV (and real life) name [name]Everett[/name]. Plus, he doesn’t like it.
[name]Jasper[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield- [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Jasper[/name] but not with our last name.
[name]Leo[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield- <3
[name]Milo[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield- I like this a lot. A lot.
[name]Otis[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield (still trying to get rid of my old-man-in-an-undershirt association)- I think I’ve given up on [name]Otis[/name]. I like it a lot, but it’s still too much of a dog name to me, maybe I’ll name a dog this someday.
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Wilson[/name] Warfield (just wanted to try out [name]Wilson[/name] for [name]William[/name])- I like the idea of [name]Wilson[/name], but probably wouldn’t use it. I love [name]Theodore[/name] but not [name]Theo[/name].
[name]Xavier[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield- This is cool! It would be worth a lot of points in Scrabble, haha. I love [name]Xavier[/name], I love ee endings, so I’d probably call him Xavie all the time. [name]Love[/name] it.

Ooh, thanks for mentioning his name! [name]Glad[/name] to hear she liked it! Most people who ask his name just kind of nod and say “oh” when I tell them. Whatever, I love his name.

I think you’re totally right about the Civil War thing! I knew there was something about it and you pinpointed it! I do love the [name]William[/name] Warfield combo though, I can’t take credit, [name]Chris[/name] thought of that. I think it would be cool for W.W. to be his middle initials. I’m almost ready to say that that will definitely be the middle name if we ever have another boy. I’d like a first name that lightens it up a little. Though, with [name]Lincoln[/name] it sounds pretty distinguished.

What do you think of [name]Hardy[/name]? I had never heard of it but today I heard it mentioned as a nickname for [name]Richard[/name], which is [name]Chris[/name]’ middle. He had kind of wanted a junior, but maybe this could do it? It’s kind of a middle ground between two that I love, but am not so sure about, [name]Harvey[/name] (too nerdy) and [name]Harley[/name] (too trying-to-hard-too-be-cool/feminine). Sigh, I don’t know!

[name]Crispin[/name]

I think [name]Milo[/name], [name]Leo[/name], and [name]Xavier[/name] [name]William[/name] Warfield are awesome, too! You know, I totally forgot to conisder your last name when I was playing around with those comobs. Sorry about that!

People aren’t giving you positive feedback on [name]Dashiell[/name]? Seriously? The few people I’ve metioned it to thought it was fantastic. They all said things like, “And [name]Dash[/name] is a cool nickname, too!” Oh well. The “Oh” replies you’re getting are probably from people who think [name]Aiden[/name] is a truly inspired name.

Okay. [name]Hardy[/name]. My first thought was of the “[name]Hardy[/name] Boys” books I know my parents read growing up, and my next thought was along the lines of [name]Laurel[/name] and [name]Hardy[/name]. So far, nothing bad. After that, I thought, “Wait. Isn’t there a hamburger place called Hardee’s?” After that (I’m taking you on my [name]Hardy[/name] journey here…), I thought, “Uh oh. I wouldn’t want to be a boy in middle school with the word ‘Hard’ in my name.”

And that completes my [name]Hardy[/name] journey. It started out innocently, but didn’t end very well. What do you think? Maybe I’m the only one with these associations, and it would be dumb to give it up if you really love it.

Other ideas containing Har:
[name]Harmon[/name]
[name]Harlan[/name]/[name]Harland[/name]
[name]Harris[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]

Wait. If your husband has dreams of a junior, what about a play on [name]Chris[/name]? You could use something like [name]Crispin[/name] in the middle. I’m just playing around here, but I think something like [name]Xavier[/name] [name]Crispin[/name] Warfield is cool!

I want to add that [name]Richmond[/name] and [name]Richardson[/name] could be used in the middle instead of [name]Richard[/name].

Jeeze, I had written a long reply to this, back when it was new, but it got deleted and I forgot to redo it! Sorry about that! and I can’t do it now because I’m the internet on my phone, and that just doesn’t work! Anyway, I think my current favorite is [name]Xavier[/name]. What do you think of [name]Xavier[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Luke[/name]? [name]William[/name] is my dad and [name]Luke[/name] would be for his mom ([name]Lucretia[/name]). And I just came across today the name MacLeod… I think its pronounced McCloud, right? Well, it’s basically a combo of most of [name]Chris[/name]’ favorite names ([name]Mac[/name], [name]Cloud[/name], [name]Leo[/name]). I’m not sure, I have to think on it, but I think I like it. Does [name]McLeod[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Luke[/name] work?

That’s okay, [name]Lyndsay[/name]! :slight_smile: I think [name]Xavier[/name] is awesome, too, and I really like [name]Xavier[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Luke[/name]. (I love seeing the W next to the X, and like the flow, too.)

I’d assuem MacLeod is pronounced like McCloud, but I’m not sure. I’ve known a McCleod pronounced like “McCloud,” so I can’t imagine that the extra C would make a difference. [name]How[/name] cool that it contains [name]Chris[/name]’ favorite names! You could call him [name]Mac[/name] or [name]Leo[/name], too, which I’m sure you already know. :slight_smile: I definitely think MacLeod [name]William[/name] [name]Luke[/name] works. (Oops. I just realized I didn’t spell MacLeod the way you listed, but I’m used to seeing it this way…)

Other combos:

[name]Xavier[/name] [name]William[/name] MacLeod
[name]Xavier[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] MacLeod
[name]Leo[/name] [name]William[/name] McCloud (With [name]Leo[/name] up front, you can avoid spelling issues…)
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Xavier[/name] McCloud
[name]Leo[/name] Warfield McCloud
MacLeod [name]Xavier[/name] [name]Luke[/name]

I love the names you’re considering! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Lyndsay[/name],

I have more to add to the above post…

I don’t know why we didn’t think of this earlier, but I think MacLeod is pronounced [name]Mac[/name] Loud (like the word “Loud”), while MacCleod/McCleod is pronounce [name]Mac[/name] [name]Cloud[/name].

Hmm, I like the look of McCloud better than MacLeod, but I don’t know that I could really do either one. I really don’t know why I’m so concerned about this right now, I don’t plan on having another for a couple years, but I’m just obsessed! Ok, here’s my favorites and why they don’t work:

[name]Xavier[/name]- [name]Chris[/name] says he doesn’t like it (but I think maybe he secretly does… I hope :slight_smile:
[name]Isaac[/name]- I would use [name]Ziggy[/name] as a nickname, which I [name]LOVE[/name]! But it seems a little too common for me.
[name]Harvey[/name]- still too quirky
[name]Gideon[/name]- too… biblical?
[name]Walter[/name]- ends in -er
[name]Oliver[/name]- ends in -er, again
[name]Dexter[/name]- ditto, plus starts with D
[name]Dodge[/name]- [name]Dash[/name] and [name]Dodge[/name] is too much, I think… we’re not even athletic
[name]Angus[/name]- I [name]LOVE[/name]… but the teasing potential worries me… but I really do love it
[name]Otis[/name]- too doggish
[name]Rex[/name]- ditto
[name]Logan[/name]- too normal
[name]Zachary[/name]- ditto
[name]Milo[/name]- a little try-too-hard? maybe
[name]August[/name]- too unisex :frowning:
[name]Mac[/name]- best friends daughter
[name]Jude[/name]- hard for me to say
[name]Everett[/name]- too many killers named this
[name]Cloud[/name]- too hippy
[name]James[/name]- too normal
[name]Frederick[/name]- ditto
[name]Thomas[/name]- tritto
[name]Finn[/name]- the next [name]Aiden[/name]
Vonnoh- too weird?
[name]Orlando[/name]- too Italian
[name]Leo[/name]- getting popular?
[name]Link[/name]- too nicknamey
[name]Lincoln[/name]- too presidential
[name]Collin[/name]- too popular
[name]Westley[/name]/[name]Wesley[/name]- nothing wrong with this one! I love it!

So, I’ve pretty much picked out the middle names, no matter the first name. [name]William[/name] [name]Luke[/name] for the next boy, [name]Anthony[/name] [name]Green[/name] for the next, and [name]Thomas[/name] ___ if there’s a fourth boy! I plan on having four, but if I have 4 boys and no girls ever, I’ll be sad, and probably try one more time, lol. So! As I was writing this I realized that I love [name]Westley[/name] and [name]Angus[/name] most of all. AND I realized that would be [name]Wesley[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Angus[/name] [name]Anthony[/name] [name]Green[/name]… which, with [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]David[/name] [name]Rowe[/name] would create a little unity, without being too matchy, I think. I love alliteration!

I think this is maybe my longest post ever! As always, I appreciate any and all feedback!

[name]Wesley[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Luke[/name] is AMAZING!
I really, really like it :slight_smile: And you’re right the unity without being overly matchy is perfect! Gosh you’re good at this name thing :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thank you, I’m really loving it! Now I have to choose between [name]Wesley[/name] and [name]Westley[/name]… I came up with this sibset today, what do you think?
[name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Wesley[/name], Lulette and [name]Cordelia[/name]… to me it’s fancy but fun. I know some people might think Lulette sounds silly or made up, but it was my great-grandmother’s name and she was amazing, lived to be 101 and dressed up for dinner every night of her life, she was quite sophisticated, so that’s how the name feels to me. I love it. So, anyway, I probably won’t end up using all of those names, but I think they make a cool set.

I like [name]Westley[/name] better than [name]Wesley[/name] because I prefer the nn [name]West[/name] to [name]Wes[/name]… (We’re not pregnant, but hubby and I have agreed on “[name]Weston[/name]” because I like the nn [name]West[/name] and he doesn’t like the [name]Westley[/name] version of [name]Wesley[/name]…lol) We’re movie buffs and I just can’t get [name]Wes[/name] [name]Craven[/name] out of my head…so I need the “t” in there :slight_smile:

[name]Dash[/name], [name]Wes[/name], [name]Lettie[/name], and [name]Cora[/name]! So fun! (don’t know if that’s the nn’s you’ll use, but it sounds good :slight_smile: ) I’m definitley a fan of using a name with family significance so I’m all about Lulette for you. That’s a great picture of her you painted for us. She sounds like a really great woman! I was just noticing, too, that the boys have one syllable nn’s and the girls 2!

I think it’s a very cool set, [name]Lyndsay[/name]! (I’m loving [name]Cordelia[/name] so much these days…) I really like your [name]Wesley[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Luke[/name] idea! (I personally prefer [name]Wesley[/name] over [name]Westley[/name], because [name]Westley[/name] has a trendy vibe for me.)

I don’t think Vonnoh would be too weird in the middle, either. (I think that’s a family name for you?) I guess I’d be worried about spelling issues up front, where people expect [name]Vaughn[/name] or [name]Vaughan[/name].

Yep, [name]Gideon[/name] is Biblical. I’ve been loving it as a middle name with [name]Leo[/name].

I love your lists, [name]Lyndsay[/name]!

Thanks guys! But something terrible happened today! Lol, ok, that’s an exaggeration. My mom has a coworker who can predict how many children you’ll have and their genders, in order. And she’s never been wrong. She can do people who have already had all their children, and it works, every single time. So… it says I had my boy and that I’m going to have one girl and that’s it! She did it three times and it said that every time… I’m a little bummed about that, but at least I’ll have a girl! So now I feel like I have to find a perfect girls name. And I was so excited for a little [name]Wesley[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Luke[/name]! Hmmm, I wonder if it counts adopted children, I’ve always wanted to adopt!

P.S. Obviously I know that she’s not necessarily correct… but really, she has been right 100% of the time… her odds are sure good.

Eh, I have a feeling you’ll be introducing her to your little [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Wesley[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], and Lulette some day. :slight_smile:

I hope you’re right, [name]Jill[/name]!

It reminds me of the elf boy on [name]Zelda[/name] the video games, I pretty sure their still popular since they made a new one only a couple of years back.

It’s true that the main character of [name]Legend[/name] of [name]Zelda[/name] is named [name]Link[/name]. Not sure this is a reason not to use the name though, and esecially if it’s a nn!