Can we still use this name?

We love the name [name_m]Branden[/name_m] but we are having a girl. We cannot find another name we love as much as [name_m]Branden[/name_m] and we know that this will be our only child. Could we still use it? We were thinking of [name_m]Branden[/name_m] [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] or [name_m]Branden[/name_m] [name_u]Baylee[/name_u]

Personally I wouldnt. I have a really common unisex name (I know at least 10 other girls with the name and a similar amount of guys) and I still get daily comments about having a boy’s name. Today one person insisted it was my last name, and another said “you mean like the boy’s name?” When I gave my name. People often call me by a more feminized version of my name accidentally, or confuse it for a somewhat similar sounding name.

My name is [name_u]Alex[/name_u]. Whenever I give my name I get one of the following comments:
“Ok [name_f]Alice[/name_f], right this way”
“[name_f]Alexa[/name_f], got it!”
“The boy’s name?”
“Is that your real/whole name?”
“Did your parents want a boy?”
Etc.

There are a ton of really beautiful girl’s names! Keep looking for the one you love! Or put [name_m]Branden[/name_m] in the middle spot. saskia [name_m]Branden[/name_m] is really pretty!

[name_m]Branden[/name_m] is also always going to be spelled [name_m]Brandon[/name_m] or [name_m]Brendan[/name_m]

I wouldn’t do it either. Personally I hate boys names on girls, but apart from that, it won’t be easy for your daughter. She’ll get annoying comments all the time.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Brenda[/name_f]? it has a similar feel to [name_m]Branden[/name_m] and is more feminine. I do love [name_u]Baylee[/name_u] as a first and [name_u]Baylee[/name_u] [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] or [name_f]Brenda[/name_f] [name_u]Baylee[/name_u] sound great together.

Well, if you love it that much, use it. A girl’s name doesn’t have to be feminine. My name is Connor and I haven’t had any traumatic experiences. Go ahead and name your kind whatever you want. I think Branden is really cute, and I love Branden Saskia.

In the end though that’s is what matters. That you love the name.

As a [name_u]Jessie[/name_u], I understand how annoying having a name that can be applied to either sex can be. I would have been [name_u]Jesse[/name_u]/[name_u]Jessie[/name_u] regardless of my gender, and having a different spelling for the genders is a benefit. I can only see [name_m]Branden[/name_m] in a negative light for a couple of reasons. 1. The spelling is not the common spelling, which along with the name being primarily recognized as a boy’s name, will cause even more confusion with having to correct the spelling. 2. The [name_m]BRANDEN[/name_m] spelling makes me think of branding, as in branding cattle, more than the more common [name_m]Brandon[/name_m] spelling. 3. Finally, if you don’t love [name_f]Brandi[/name_f]/[name_f]Brandy[/name_f]/[name_f]Brandie[/name_f], don’t use this name because it will be used as a nickname. These are just my thoughts, but I believe there must be another name you can find that will fit a daughter better than this name, please reconsider.

I still say [name_f]Brenda[/name_f] though. it’s extremely close to the name you love and the more I say it the more I love it. It’s more feminine but the meaning is definitely not. It’s a great Celtic name to use.

I like [name_m]Branden[/name_m] I think it would be fine to use if you love it. If you don’t like the nicknames [name_f]Brandy[/name_f]/[name_f]Brandi[/name_f] just don’t use them and if people do use them just simple correct them with [name_m]Branden[/name_m]. Eventually the people using [name_f]Brandy[/name_f]/[name_f]Brandi[/name_f] will stop.

What about Branda? Besides that, what about using [name_m]Branden[/name_m] as the middle name? [name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of girls have masculine middle names and then you can call her [name_m]Branden[/name_m], but it isn’t her first name so she has something else to fall back on.

I personally wouldn’t, as it screams “we wanted a boy”. There are SO many lovely, feminine names out there, why give her something so masculine?

If you love it, I say go for it! I like [name_m]Branden[/name_m] [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], and a girly nickname could be [name_f]Brandy[/name_f]. I think its cute!

I don’t like [name_m]Branden[/name_m]/[name_m]Brandon[/name_m] on a girl, sorry! My name has a girl and boy spelling ([name_f]Erin[/name_f]/[name_m]Aaron[/name_m]), but I still get called “he” a lot. It’s spelled the boys way all the time. I like my name, but it’s super annoying. I love the suggestion of [name_f]Brenda[/name_f]. I don’t know any little [name_f]Brenda[/name_f]'s and I’ve always thought it was pretty name.

I am a strong believer that as the parents, you should name your child as you wish. I think [name_m]Branden[/name_m] [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] is a unique combo that could really work well. I also think there are some valid concerns raised so far such as spelling and gender confusion. As a woman with a unisex first name and a last name that is a female name (“misspelled”), I have spent a lot of time answering to the wrong name and surprising people by my femininity. It doesn’t bother me too much but I am one person. Perhaps consider [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] [name_m]Branden[/name_m] (which is gorgeous) or having a second option to weigh when you meet her.

Either way, simply by this post, it shows that you are aware that there may be issues that [name_m]Branden[/name_m] (or whatever you name your new daughter) may be sensitive to. As a parent, you can be prepared to remind her why you named her and how unique she is. Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]!