Can you convince me of Oliver?

I [name]DO[/name] like the name [name]Oliver[/name], it used to be a favorite. But I just can’t picture it on my own kid. My son is really tall and big and strong, it’s likely future sons will be the same. Hair could be any color, but fair skin is a definite. I think of [name]Oliver[/name] as smallish with dark hair, and artistic. Basically the opposite of my son, husband, and all the other men in both our families.

But, my husband adores the name and is trying to make me love it. Nothing he says convinces me at all… What about you? Can you tell me why I should love it?

[name]Oliver[/name]! Well, I see [name]Oliver[/name] as a sneaky sort of character, charming and wily and terribly clever. Maybe he likes backgammon, maybe he likes soccer - either way, [name]Oliver[/name] is determined and strong. [name]Oliver[/name] isn’t a wimpy name in my opinion; rather, [name]Oliver[/name] has a sense of outward confidence about him that gives him strength. He’s playful and cheerful and utterly adorable - I’m envisioning a little boy, his fair skin tanned in the summer sun, his dirty blond curls bouncing as he runs wild with his pals in the park - and he’s got that sense of charisma and polite charm that attract even the most grumpy of people.

So, I like that description. He sounds like a spunky, cool kid. Other reasons I like [name]Oliver[/name]? Well, the name’s got a really neat melodic sound that I don’t think is usually found in boys’ names. It makes excellent use of its vowel sounds and that O beginning and V ending are just cool. [name]Oliver[/name]'s got a classic literary connection in [name]Oliver[/name] Twist, which, although perhaps not the most positive of novels, is an exciting story. And, Oli is a cute nickname for a little boy, but overall, the name doesn’t require a nickname!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I like your description of [name]Oliver[/name], and I can totally picture it that way! I didn’t mean that I see [name]Oliver[/name] as a wimp, I just can’t picture a 6’4" quarterback type named [name]Oliver[/name]… But I could be wrong. I do love the nickname [name]Ollie[/name].

Oh! Another issue is that my cousin (one of the 3 first cousins I actually know), has a toddler cousin named [name]Oliver[/name]. Now, Ill never meet that [name]Oliver[/name] but it sort of bugs me. Especially since my Aunt already compares [name]Dash[/name] with [name]Oliver[/name] every chance she gets. I know it’s totally insane, but I want my kids to be the only one with their names. Obviously not in the whole world or anything, but it would really bother me if I heard [name]Dash[/name]'s name in the park, for instance. And if someone we knew used it? Well, I really wouldn’t like that. I know that’s totally irrational and crazy, but that’s just how I feel about it. So my cousin having two little cousins named [name]Oliver[/name]? Ugh!

But then, there a quite a few little connections we have to [name]Oliver[/name] that would make it sufficiently meaningful for both of us… And it is really cute. Hmm, I dunno.

Any ideas of something that might replace [name]Oliver[/name] for [name]Chris[/name]?

Our boys list-
[name]Westley[/name] nn [name]West[/name]
[name]Hart[/name] (Hartford or something)
[name]Griffin[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name] nn [name]Link[/name] (I might have gotten him to give up on this!)
[name]August[/name] nn [name]Oz[/name] (I’m not really feeling it)
[name]Angus[/name] nn [name]Ace[/name] ([name]Angus[/name] is possibly my favorite boys name that I’d actually use. Too teasable? Too weird for a vegetarian?)

Most of these don’t seem right to Me. I think I am so unbelievable picky. I’m even a little tired of [name]Finn[/name] which I never thought would happen. I want something that sounds modern, yet classic, yet is really uncommon. Is that impossible? I also love nicknames along the lines of [name]Zach[/name] and [name]Jake[/name], but not so popular. Like [name]Dash[/name] or [name]Finn[/name] (except [name]Finn[/name] is popular now!)

[name]Lyndsay[/name].

Hm. That is a dilemma. I love [name]Oliver[/name] as a middle name. Could that work for [name]Chris[/name]?

Okay, you are killing me with [name]Westley[/name]. [name]Wesley[/name] is one thing, but [name]Westley[/name]? It seems rather difficult to say, and it reminds me of one celebaby name I truly despise - Blakesley. I do like [name]West[/name], though! [name]Weston[/name]? [name]Westbrook[/name]? [name]Westcott[/name]? Oh, that’s hard to say. What about just [name]West[/name]?

[name]Hart[/name]'s cool, especially for a middle name. Hartfield, [name]Hartwell[/name], Hartford?

[name]August[/name] “[name]Oz[/name]” isn’t doing it for me, either. You mentioned that you can’t picture a big, footballer-type guy named [name]Oliver[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you mean to tell me you can picture one called [name]August[/name]? [name]Oz[/name] only reminds me of The [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] and [name]Ozzy[/name], so, not so wonderful. [name]Even[/name] though I love The [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name]…

[name]Angus[/name] “[name]Ace[/name]” is so neat. I loved [name]Ace[/name] when you suggested it for a nickname for [name]Atticus[/name], and I still think it is totally cool. Now, [name]Angus[/name] does remind me of beef, especially when it seems like every time you drive down the road you see some “angus” sign by the [name]McDonald[/name]'s. Ew. [name]Angus[/name] is a very heavy name, whereas [name]Dashiell[/name] feels lighter to me. Are you vegetarian? Hm. I’m not totally sure about it!

Okay. I love [name]William[/name] even though it is common - is it really? - because of its fun nicknames. [name]Will[/name], [name]Wills[/name], [name]Willie[/name], even [name]Wiley[/name] are just so great! [name]Fitzwilliam[/name]? Then you can have [name]Fitz[/name], too. Ha! Or [name]Willoughby[/name]? [name]Ah[/name], so awesome. I think [name]Theodore[/name] would be awesome with [name]Dash[/name], and I love [name]Theo[/name]. It’s one of those cool nicknames, I think. [name]Teddy[/name] is so cute, though - the only [name]Theodore[/name] I’ve ever known personally went by [name]Teddy[/name]. I also think something like [name]Archer[/name] would be cute with [name]Dash[/name]. [name]Archie[/name] is one of my favorite nicknames, honestly, but [name]Archer[/name] sounds so handsome and buttoned-up. Wasn’t [name]Frederick[/name] on your list at one point? I forgot what nickname you had for him. Oh, [name]Red[/name]! I remember that now. I still love [name]Freddie[/name] most. So, so cute! I think [name]Perry[/name] would be a really fun nickname with [name]Dash[/name], too. What could that be short for? [name]Peregrine[/name]? Hm. Maybe too much name. I love [name]Russell[/name]! [name]Russ[/name], Russy, [name]Rusty[/name], [name]Rush[/name], or even [name]Red[/name]! It means “redhead,” but I think it fits absolutely anyone. And, you know I love [name]Nathaniel[/name]. [name]Nate[/name] and [name]Nathan[/name] are great, so is [name]Niel[/name], but I’m sort of partial to [name]Nat[/name]. [name]Even[/name] [name]Natty[/name] would work! ([name]Nate[/name] is a love of mine, too.) Any of those working?

Ugh, I love all of those names you just said! They all have one issue or another, though. Oh, and no, I can’t imagine [name]August[/name], it does feel the same as [name]Oliver[/name] to me but [name]Oz[/name] as the nn reminds me of [name]Seth[/name] [name]Green[/name] on [name]Buffy[/name], I’ve loved the nn since then. [name]Chris[/name] loves [name]August[/name]. I don’t know why he doesn’t see that they don’t fit.

[name]Westley[/name] was the favorite in the thread I started about [name]Westley[/name], [name]Wesley[/name] and [name]Weston[/name]. I really love [name]Weston[/name] too. [name]Westley[/name] is the spelling in The [name]Princess[/name] [name]Bride[/name] which is special to us, but I’m still not convinced of it. I do love [name]West[/name] and [name]Wes[/name], but yeah, not convinced.

In a million years [name]Chris[/name] won’t agree to [name]William[/name] as anything but a middle name. Same with [name]Frederick[/name], which isn’t a middle name contender because it has absolutely no meaning to us other than me loving it. [name]Chris[/name] doesn’t like any of the nicknames, sadly, not even [name]Red[/name].

I don’t think of [name]Angus[/name] as heavy at all, I think of it as super fun! I picture a really, really cool guy named [name]Angus[/name]. The guy that’s popular with all the cliques and all the girls have crushes on. Ha! But the beef thing really bothers Me! And yeah I am vegetarian and so is [name]Dash[/name]. [name]Chris[/name] isn’t, but he hardly eats meat. Our kids will be allowed to choose when they are old enough, but neither of us know how to cook meat, so! Anyway, a vegetarian named [name]Angus[/name], lol. Plus I hate what happens when you remove the g! But I’m glad you like [name]Ace[/name], its one of my absolute favorite nicknames. I kind of think it could work for any name, but I’d prefer for it to make sense. [name]Atticus[/name] is not for me, though… Any ideas?

I love [name]Theodore[/name], I will have to give that some thought. It could be perfect. We would definitely call him both [name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Theo[/name], but I think I’d have him go by [name]Theo[/name] most of the time. We love [name]Leo[/name] (but [name]Chris[/name] insists on [name]Leonardo[/name] and I don’t like that for myself), this could be a perfect compromise. The chipmunks connection would either be a big plus of big minus. Oh! But do [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Margo[/name] seem crazy as siblings? I’m afraid they do.

I adore [name]Nathaniel[/name], and [name]Nathan[/name]. [name]Chris[/name]’ sister had a baby [name]Nathan[/name] who passed away at a couple of months old, so it’s completely off the table.

I love [name]Perry[/name]! And [name]Percy[/name] and [name]Murray[/name] and [name]Murphy[/name]. Not loving anything [name]Perry[/name] could be a nn for except [name]Jasper[/name], but i hate it with our last name. [name]Peregrine[/name] is awesome but definitely too much for me! And I love [name]Archer[/name], but i don’t like it with my last name either. And [name]Archie[/name] is a bit too cutesy for me.

Oh, gosh, I love [name]Willoughby[/name] so much but could never bring myself to really use it. It’s so cool though!

We really do love [name]Hart[/name], but [name]Ive[/name] seen a lot of negative opinions on it. To me it’s really masculine. And I’m really not concerned about people teasing him with “heart” (I’ve heard that as a concern), I mean is it a BAD thing to have heart? The longer versions all seem really pretentious to me. [name]Chris[/name] asked his friend about it and he said “If you don’t want him to be gay, name him Hartford”. WTF? I thought, for one thing, Hartford sounds gayer than [name]Hart[/name]. And for another, more important thing, I don’t care if he’s gay, and even if I DID care, his name isn’t going to have any effect on that whatsoever! [name]Oy[/name]!

See? Did I tell you I was picky or what? This is why I need to prepare in advance!

Hm. [name]Westley[/name] won out over [name]Wesley[/name] and [name]Weston[/name]? I’m surprised. The [name]Princess[/name] [name]Bride[/name], huh? What a classic. Not convinced? Me neither.

Boo! No [name]William[/name]? [name]How[/name] can you get more charming? And, yeah, [name]Willoughby[/name] is so fun, but I don’t think I’d be brave enough to use it, either. Sad.

I’m not sure what I meant by [name]Angus[/name] being heavy, but I do get an image of a big, burly strong man with the name, maybe a Scotsman or something? And, yea, the meat issue is a bit odd. What else could [name]Ace[/name] be short for? I’m thinking. [name]Achilles[/name]? That’s weird. [name]Amadeus[/name]? I love it! But, kinda weird, too. [name]Aston[/name]? Kind of charming, but the beginning troubles me a bit. And the car connection - cool or pretentious? You could go with an A classic - [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Andrew[/name], [name]Arthur[/name]. Or maybe something a bit more unusual or vintage like [name]Alcott[/name], [name]Ambrose[/name], [name]Augustine[/name] ([name]Gus[/name]!), [name]Augustus[/name], or [name]Archibald[/name]? I always forget about your last name with -er names. No to [name]Archer[/name], for sure. I’m kind of loving [name]Augustine[/name] right now - or [name]Augustus[/name] - I grew up with an [name]Augustine[/name] (ah-[name]GUS[/name]-tin not august-een, for him), and he went by [name]Gusty[/name] as a kid and [name]Gus[/name] as a…man? But [name]Ace[/name] is so awesome for any A name, I think.

[name]Theodore[/name] is so perfect, yes! [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name] are awesome. And, even though [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Margo[/name] are close with that -o ending, they don’t rhyme. It’s only nicknames, and [name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Margo[/name] are adorable together. [name]Leonardo[/name]? With [name]Dashiell[/name]? [name]Chris[/name] is crazy. [name]Leopold[/name] seems really neat but a bit much to me, honestly, and [name]Leonard[/name] is a little bit tired. [name]Leon[/name] is my favorite with [name]Dashiell[/name]. Some people hate [name]Leon[/name], but I think it is kind of neat!

Yea, I don’t know why anyone would be teased for “having a heart,” as you say. [name]Hart[/name] isn’t the most masculine name, speaking from a connotation sense, but it is strong and solid in terms of sound and look. Hartford makes me think of Connecticut, honestly, and I guess my favorite “long form” is [name]Hartwell[/name], but it reminds me of the Hopewell Indians. Not a bad thing, I guess. [name]Hart[/name] just feels a little insubstantial to me is all. But it is so cool, yes!

I also think [name]Benjamin[/name] is really cute for you guys. I even like the alliteration of [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Becker[/name] - it reminds me of [name]Ben[/name] [name]Barry[/name] in [name]How[/name] to Lose a [name]Guy[/name] in Ten Days! And, [name]Ben[/name] is such a great nickname, as is [name]Benny[/name] - for a little boy. I kind of think [name]Benji[/name] is the perfect sibling for [name]Dash[/name], though…

…I also thought of [name]Gable[/name]. It seems pretty neat to me!

Um, so you know how [name]Dash[/name] is going to “marry” [name]Dolly[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] [name]Rose[/name]? Well, maybe if you have a future [name]Bea[/name], she can marry [name]Buddy[/name] [name]Bear[/name] [name]Maurice[/name]. Ha! She’ll just need BBM initials…

As much as I love [name]Jamie[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] and his food revolution… I don’t want a son in law named [name]Buddy[/name]. Doesn’t it just seem awkward to call a grown man [name]Buddy[/name]? Ew. Oh, when I first told the name to [name]Chris[/name] he said “I [name]LOVE[/name] IT!!!”, but now he says he was kidding. What you have to keep in mind about my husband is that he honestly truly believes that Buffalo is the greatest name ever. So…

Oh man, I love that you mentioned [name]Benjamin[/name] as perfect for us. I know. I adore [name]Benjamin[/name]. I love [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]Becker[/name] and [name]Benny[/name] [name]Becker[/name]… Not so much [name]Ben[/name] [name]Becker[/name], but I could deal with it. It’s way too “normal” for [name]Chris[/name]. See, come on, his name is [name]Chris[/name]! He always liked his name! I don’t know why he has such an issue with normal names now, silly guy.

The [name]August[/name] variations just don’t do it for me. I don’t really know why. I only like [name]August[/name] on it’s own (I used to love it, it easily could have been [name]Dash[/name]'s name). I get the appeal of [name]Gus[/name] for other people, but I really hate it for myself. I’m so weird.

Ok, so you picture [name]Angus[/name] and big and burly? That’s my boy! Haha! And I have quite a lot of Scottish blood, so I actually like that association (even if you meant it as a negative!). I would actually love to use a Scottish name. Still, the meat issue does both me… But even that hasn’t quelled my love for [name]Angus[/name] in like 2 years, so that’s possibly a good thing. [name]Chris[/name] likes it alright but doesn’t love it like I do. He does love [name]Ace[/name], though, I think.

[name]Leon[/name] is kinda neat! I think my favorite [name]Leo[/name] name is [name]Lionel[/name], but I wouldn’t actually use it. I would use [name]Leo[/name] on it’s own, but [name]Chris[/name] won’t use it unless it’s [name]Leonardo[/name]. He read that [name]Leonardo[/name] DiCaprios mother wanted to name him just [name]Leo[/name] but his father insisted on [name]Leonardo[/name], and we see how well that turned out! Lol.

Yeah, [name]Hart[/name] on it’s own is definitely insubstantial. I have thought about [name]Richard[/name] ([name]Chris[/name]’ middle name) nn [name]Hart[/name]… But I absolutely hate the name [name]Richard[/name]! Oh, have I ever heard your opinion of [name]Dodge[/name]? It’s a family name and I love it (and so does my mother which is rare!). [name]Chris[/name] and I both think it’s too much with [name]Dash[/name], though.

See, we need a name that sounds “cool”. I like it to sound good being announced at a ball game, like “[name]Dash[/name] [name]Becker[/name] is up to bat”. His name is so exactly right, so exactly what we wanted. It feels impossible to find another name we like half as much.

Oh! I forgot to mention [name]Quill[/name]. I. [name]Love[/name]. [name]Quill[/name]. I read it in Twilight (embarrassing) and every time his name was in the book I stopped and thought about how much I love it, and I still do. It would honor my dad, [name]Bill[/name]. I would use it on it’s own but it’s so short next to [name]Dashiell[/name]. I thought of Quillem or something like that, but i dunno. I’m not totally opposed to a made up name in his case, because i think it sounds like it is a legit variant of [name]William[/name]. Maybe I could convince [name]Chris[/name] of [name]William[/name] nn [name]Quill[/name]! If [name]William[/name] can be [name]Bill[/name], why not [name]Quill[/name], right?

I’ve been thinking about [name]Theodore[/name] and I love it. I haven’t gotten to talk to [name]Chris[/name] about it yet though. My only concern is that he would end up [name]Ted[/name], which I don’t like at all. Oh, what do you think of [name]Theodor[/name]? I think thats the way Dr. Seuss spelled it… Maybe he’d just have to go by [name]Theo[/name] and not [name]Teddy[/name] past the age of 2. [name]Theodore[/name] is a little on the old man side of the fence, though, possibly.

Totally kidding about [name]Buddy[/name] [name]Bear[/name] being your son-in-law. And, no, I cannot, for the life of me, imagine a grown man called [name]Buddy[/name]. I can, however, picture an old man called [name]Bud[/name]. My mom’s friend - favorite farmer - at the Farmers’ Market is called [name]Bud[/name]. Not sure it it’s a nickname…

Aw, come on, [name]Chris[/name]! [name]Benjamin[/name] is like the greatest name ever, and I’m not just saying that because my brother is a [name]Ben[/name]. It’s simply perfect for you all. Would you be able to convince him if he got to call little [name]Benny[/name] “Buffalo” every now and then? Come on, [name]Lyndsay[/name], it’s a sacrifice you have to make. :wink:

I didn’t mean Scotsman in a negative way, at all! For me, that’s kind of appealing, actually! It’s just that, when I picture some guy coming up to me and saying, “Hey, I’m [name]Angus[/name],” I just want to burst out laughing. It sounds like some bad muscle/meat joke or something. Okay, maybe I made that all up in my head, but, yea, it makes me laugh. [name]Ace[/name] is amazing, though. What on earth could you use?

No, you just can’t use [name]Leonardo[/name]. I don’t care what [name]Chris[/name] says. It’s weird! Plus, I like [name]Theo[/name] more…

Ugh, I don’t like [name]Richard[/name], either. Anything that can somehow be shortened to [name]Dick[/name] gets an X in my book. That’s just a weird nickname. Inappropriate. Weird. Whatever. [name]Dodge[/name]? Kind of cool, yes. But, would I want to call my child [name]Dodge[/name]? No. It reminds me of the car brand, firstly, which is odd because I’ve never in my life owned or driven a [name]Dodge[/name] vehicle. Then, it reminds me of dodgeball, which, although hilariously entertaining, seems like a negative association to me. Then I think of dodging a bullet. Hm. That’s a strange one! I think the issue is you’ve already got such spunk and pizazz with [name]Dash[/name] that [name]Dodge[/name] feels like overkill, and I don’t care for it near as much as [name]Dash[/name]. “[name]Dodge[/name] [name]Becker[/name]” also sounds like some sort of command a coach might say…

[name]Quill[/name] is awesome, but at the same time, it feels like a lightweight name. Does that make any sense? [name]Will[/name] doesn’t - probably because I know so many manly men called will - but [name]Quill[/name] feels soft and fleeting and I can picture some sort of Shakespearean actor or court jester called [name]Quill[/name], dressed in plumes and such. But, it is really cool! [name]Quillan[/name]? [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Quillan[/name]. Oh, it kind of bugs me that [name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Quill[/name] both have those double L’s. Okay, I’m sorry, I’m truly insane or something to let these things get on my nerves!

I’m super excited that you love [name]Theodore[/name]. And, I don’t much like [name]Theodor[/name], honestly. I love that extra E! [name]Theodor[/name] makes me think of something like [name]Feodor[/name], which I don’t like. But, yes, that is how Dr. Seuss spelled it. Is he even alive? Hm. What’s the issue with [name]Teddy[/name]? People won’t call him [name]Ted[/name]. They just won’t. It’s like [name]Ned[/name]. Not gonna happen. What is [name]Ned[/name] short for? [name]Edward[/name]? I’ve got no idea. Anyway, the [name]Theodore[/name] I knew went by - still goes by - [name]Teddy[/name] for his entire life. Okay, he’s 20, so his entire life up until this point. I think both nicknames are appropriate, for sure. I probably wouldn’t want to call the kid [name]Theodore[/name] - it’s a bit of a mouthful. But that sweet little chipmunk can pull it off! On [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name], they say that siblings for [name]Theodore[/name] include [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Felix[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Patrick[/name], and [name]William[/name]! Yay, [name]Benjamin[/name]! Oh, did I ever mention that I love [name]Patrick[/name]? And, did you hate [name]Russell[/name]? The siblings for [name]Dashiell[/name] are fun - [name]Callum[/name], [name]Calvin[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Emmett[/name], [name]Ignatius[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], and [name]Vincent[/name], to name a few. Oh, I just looked up all the [name]Theodore[/name]'s at my school, and some have really great names - [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Sidney[/name] is my favorite, but [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Sanford[/name] is an eye-catcher, huh? Ha! And, I just looked up all of the [name]Oliver[/name]'s - 50% looked rather manly, to your description.

Oh my gosh my cat has been digging her claws into my leg for like an hour, it’s so distracting, ouch!

I always forget, my nephew is [name]Cole[/name], so [name]Quill[/name] is totally out. If [name]Clark[/name] is too close, [name]Quill[/name] definitely is. You’d be surprised how many names are out when you can’t use C, K or Q!

You’re right about [name]Theodor[/name], I don’t know what I was thinking, it looks so incomplete. You don’t think [name]Teddy[/name] would ever get called [name]Ted[/name]? I’m not so sure! But I’d rather [name]Theo[/name] be his official nickname and he just be called [name]Teddy[/name] occassionally by family and close friends. Hmm, I do quite like it but it might be too mainstream. I know it’s not popular or anything like that, but still.

Right now my favorite is still [name]Westley[/name]. The combo is [name]Westley[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Atlas[/name], what do you think of that? You just might have to let it grow on you! Come on, [name]West[/name]? You’re telling me you don’t think that’s cool?! I barely pronounce the T in [name]Westley[/name], so it’s really not harder to say than [name]Wesley[/name], and everyone on that thread agreed that the T makes it stronger and more masculine. I never liked [name]Wesley[/name], but then I knew an extremely hot guy named [name]Wes[/name] and it majorly grew on me. His name honestly made him hotter, if that’s even possible. I like that we’d almost certainly never meet another kid named [name]Wesley[/name], and definitely not [name]Westley[/name]. And I think it’s like [name]Dashiell[/name] in that at first everyone would think it was weird and then end up loving it.

Ok, hold on! A muscle/meat joke?! What does that even mean? Haha! You would laugh if someone told you he was named [name]Angus[/name]?! You are too funny. What is so funny about it? Lol, I’m cracking up but you’re not making me love [name]Angus[/name] any less! [name]Angus[/name] [name]Anthony[/name] or something? No? And [name]Angus[/name] honors [name]Chris[/name]’ great grandfather [name]Gustav[/name] [name]Adolf[/name]! [name]Adolf[/name] is clearly not an option! You really can’t see a cute little kid with a big personality named [name]Angus[/name] nn [name]Ace[/name]? Come on!

Haha. Ok. Enough of that. I’m trying to convince myself as much as I’m trying to convince you!

Oh! I actuall love [name]Russell[/name] but it’s too close to [name]Dashiell[/name]! Also, [name]Dash[/name] has an awesome Pixar character. [name]Russell[/name] in Up is a sweetheart and I love him, but compared to [name]Dash[/name] in The Incredibles? [name]Just[/name] doesn’t seem fair!

[name]Hi[/name]! So [name]Oliver[/name]'s on our list, and there are definitely some tough Olivers, if you’re willing to look abroad a bit for proof (my husband’s English). [name]Oliver[/name] is an upper-crust name in the UK, and upper-crust men in the UK tend to play rugby. And men who play rugby are about as big and tough as it gets! :slight_smile:

[name]Ollie[/name] [name]Campbell[/name] is one of the most famous and legendary Irish rugby players of all time

[name]Oliver[/name] Tomaszczyk plays for Worcester Warriors and played at [name]Oxford[/name]
http://www.newcastle-falcons.co.uk/378_582.php

[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name] plays for Harlequins, one of the best teams in the English league
http://www.league.quins.co.uk/news/10399.php

So that was all a bit random, but remember this – in the end, the child will own the name; the name will not own the child!!

Okay, maybe a [name]Teddy[/name] would be called [name]Ted[/name] occasionally, but I think of it in the same way that I might think of [name]Emily[/name], nicknamed [name]Emmy[/name], occasionally called [name]Em[/name]. Like, when you’re really tired and can’t even find the energy to get [name]Emmy[/name] all the way out. Ha! But, yeah, [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Dash[/name] is amazing! [name]Love[/name] it. Not to mainstream, [name]Lyndsay[/name]. Come on!

Yes, I do like [name]Westley[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Atlas[/name]. It’s really, really cool. And, [name]West[/name] is a neat nickname. I told you I liked [name]West[/name]! It’s just the extra letter in [name]Westley[/name] bugs me, because I don’t want to say [name]WEST[/name]-lee, I want to say [name]Wesley[/name]. But, I think I actually say [name]Westley[/name] with an almost-silent T. Is that right? By the way, I think every guy named [name]Wes[/name] is extremely hot - it must be a stipulation with the name…

I don’t know what I meant with a muscle/meat joke! Like, when guys are talking about their muscles or something, which they tend to do - okay, this is really dumb. Um, maybe comparing themselves to a piece of meat? Forget this. That is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. And, I can picture a guy named [name]Angus[/name], called [name]Ace[/name], with a huge personality! It’s just a big name, is all. It would have to be a lot of personality. Could you imagine some little wimpy kid called [name]Angus[/name]? The irony would not be amusing. [name]Angus[/name] [name]Anthony[/name] is pretty nice, even though [name]Anthony[/name] isn’t my favorite. I might go a little more old-school with [name]Angus[/name] [name]Antony[/name]. For some reason I like that more. What do you think? And, no, you can’t use [name]Adolf[/name]! [name]Adolphus[/name]? Maybe.

Aw, shoot, I forgot about [name]Russell[/name] being too close to [name]Dashiell[/name]! Yeah, definitely true. Too bad!

[name]Kat[/name], good points! I do wonder if [name]Oliver[/name] seems more like he could be a tough guy in [name]England[/name] though, since the name is so much more popular/traditional there. But you’re right, he would own the name and make it fit. I can see my son looking sort of like the [name]Oliver[/name] in the last link, but try as I might I can’t believe that guys name is [name]Oliver[/name]!

[name]Lem[/name], (would [name]Ted[/name] be use like that?) maybe you’re right that [name]Theodore[/name] isn’t too mainstream… Hmmm. I used to love [name]Theodore[/name] and hate [name]Theo[/name]. I don’t know why, now I love [name]Theo[/name]. But I really think I’ll have a [name]Margo[/name] someday, so I’m still a little worried about that. I love names that end in O, dang it. I wish I could use [name]Miles[/name] nn [name]Milo[/name], but one of my best friends changes his name to [name]Miles[/name].

Yeah, the T is [name]Westley[/name] is almost silent. It honestly took me a long time to like that spelling but I really like it now. See, the first movie we watched together was The [name]Princess[/name] [name]Bride[/name], it was kind of our first date. And [name]Westley[/name] is such a cool character, see? Also, since I’m from the west coast but we’ll be living on the east coast, I think that’s sort of a cool connection. Plus, [name]West[/name] is cooler than [name]Wes[/name]. Though I do love [name]Wes[/name] and [name]Wesley[/name] a ton too. I’m not totally set on it, I really love it in both spellings. And i really love [name]Weston[/name], too, but it sounds like my cousins last name ([name]Wester[/name]). Plus, I think it’s too surnamey, even for me.

You’re totally right about a wimpy little kid named [name]Angus[/name]. It would be tragic. But I really doubt we’ll have a wimpy little kid. I mean, we’re [name]German[/name], Scottish and Italian (among other things, but mostly those). [name]Chris[/name] is 6’3" and really big, and I was always taller than all the other kids in my grade, but I’m only 5’8" now. Still, he’ll definitely be tall. And I just can’t imagine having a wimpy kid, haha. [name]Dash[/name] is 18 months and he already does push ups and sit ups, lol!

[name]Anthony[/name] isn’t a favorite of mine either, at all. But it’s my MILs maiden name. I’m not much of a fan of [name]David[/name] at all either but I used it for my FIL and couldn’t be happier about it, ya know? [name]Andrew[/name] is also an option since my grandfather in law goes by [name]Andy[/name] (for his last name [name]Anthony[/name], but still). I don’t really like [name]Andrew[/name] either though, so I may as well go with [name]Anthony[/name].

Oh, that last [name]Oliver[/name] ([name]Wilkes[/name]?) is adorable! I love him! And, I can see him being an [name]Oliver[/name]. Or maybe a [name]Harry[/name], or a [name]Theo[/name], or a [name]Ben[/name]…

I really don’t think it matters if the nickname [name]Theo[/name] sounds like the name [name]Margo[/name]. And didn’t you have a bajillion nicknames for Miss [name]Margo[/name], too? [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Margo[/name] don’t rhyme, so it’s okay. It’s like my mom calling my brother [name]Benny[/name] and my sister [name]Sari[/name] (well, and me [name]Birdie[/name]) - they all have that “ee” sound! Hm. Would [name]Ted[/name] be used like [name]Lem[/name]? Not sure. I can only speak from the personal experience of the guy I knew called [name]Teddy[/name]. Nobody ever called him [name]Ted[/name]. He was always [name]Teddy[/name]. Not sure if anyone - family? - called him [name]Theodore[/name], either.

Ha, [name]Dash[/name] does push-ups and sit-ups? Are you training a little body builder or something? That’s hilarious. What a cutie. Oh, you could take pictures of him being a little body builder - so cute. A wimpy [name]Angus[/name] would be a tragedy, but it seems he won’t look like a wimpy, little guy. But, I suppose he could still act like one, right? And, I like [name]Anthony[/name] better knowing it is a family surname. It sounds cooler that way, I suppose…

PS I think I might be obsessed with this [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name] character.

Ha ha! [name]Glad[/name] to have obliged, [name]Lemon[/name]. And [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name] is a good name all around, isn’t it?

Yes, I love it. And the guy! Ha.

Oh my gosh I think I possibly just found the perfect name. [name]Alistair[/name]! I need to let it settle for a while before I know, but it’s got everything I am looking for in a name. I’ve always been drawn to it, every time i see it on someones list I like it, but I just thought it was too unusual and didn’t have a good nickname. But then I thought of [name]Ace[/name] as the nickname, which doesn’t seem such a stretch to me, and I fell in love! And it’s Scottish, which is a big plus. A traditional Scottish name at that, but not in the rankings here. Belonged to three medieval kings! I love that it’s on par with [name]Dashiell[/name] in terms of unusualness, but, it isn’t weird or made up. I mentioned it to [name]Chris[/name] and he instantly loved it.

[name]Dashiell[/name] and [name]Alistair[/name]
[name]Dash[/name] and [name]Ace[/name]

I think the full names and nicknames go basically perfectly together. What do you think? For the middle name I was thinking [name]Alistair[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]West[/name]… What do you think?

P.S. See what I mean about it not being considered old fashioned or an old man name, and it’s not a name anyone will have associations with more than likely. He will almost for sure be the only one people know. BUT it’s not made up and it has history! Oh man, why did it take me so long to see this?

P.S.S. Agreed. [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name] is crush worthy, and so is his name!

[name]Ah[/name], [name]Lyndsay[/name], I love it! [name]Alastair[/name] - wait, was it [name]Alistair[/name]? - [name]William[/name] [name]West[/name] is amazing! Perfect, perfect, perfect brother for [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]David[/name] [name]Rowe[/name]. [name]Love[/name] it! Okay, [name]Alastair[/name] is a variation of [name]Alistair[/name], so you should go with the original, for sure. [name]Dash[/name] and [name]Ace[/name] are the coolest brothers around. Perfection!

PS Yes, [name]Alistair[/name] is like that totally cool but quirky name that nobody can quite wrap their heads around, but then they meet him, and he’s just so awesome that they fall in love with his name! And, then [name]Ace[/name] just charms 'em, right? By the way

PPS [name]Alastair[/name] Kellock is a Scottish rugby player, and he looks quite manly and tough. Maybe not as lovable as [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wilkes[/name], but pretty good.

PPPS I’m perplexed by the spelling issues of [name]Alastair[/name] and [name]Alistair[/name]. When I Googled [name]Alistair[/name], most of the responses were for “[name]Alastair[/name].” I might like that better…

Mmm, [name]Alastair[/name] Kellock is CUTE! You can keep [name]Oliver[/name]… I call [name]Alastair[/name]!

I’m so glad you like it! And that you [name]Ike[/name] [name]Alistair[/name] Wililam [name]West[/name], too! I think it’s perfect.

The spelling is the only tricky part! [name]Alasdair[/name], [name]Alastair[/name], [name]Alistair[/name]… I’m having trouble figure out which is the most legit. It seems that they’re pretty much even, but that [name]Alistair[/name] has been the most popular the last hundred years or so. I think I prefer it because the pronunciation is very straightforward, al-iss-tare, vs. Possible alas-dare, alas-tare. I do like the D, though, for the nn [name]Dair[/name]! However, i really wouldn’t use that very often so it doesn’t matter much. Also, with the [name]Alasdair[/name] spelling I’m afraid it shares too many letter with [name]Dashiell[/name]. So, yeah, I think [name]Alistair[/name]… Plus I like when there are multiples of the same letter in a name, two Is make me happy (when they’re legit!).

Ahh, I’m so excited right now! Only thing is that I know my [name]MIL[/name] (and probably most of the family!) will hate it at first. But whatever, they’ll get over it. And I’m willing to bet they’d end up loving it.

So if I use this it’ll be a bit of a Scottish theme… I’m thinking [name]Quentin[/name] for a third boy… Thoughts?