Can you convince me of these names?

I’m trying to clean up my name crush list and decide what to keep and what to chunk. If any of the names below are among your personal favorites, can you sell me on them? If you just absolutely hate any of the names below, tell me why.

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]

I’m not looking to go with the names that fit the best with my other favorites; I want to choose names that I love individually. So keep that in mind. Thanks!

Of your 5, I like [name_m]Simon[/name_m] best. I like that it’s a classic, Biblical name. But more than anything, [name_m]Simon[/name_m] strikes me as the name of someone smart and focused yet laid back. I love names that feel smart but not nerdy

I would say I like [name_u]Jude[/name_u] the best out of your list. [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], I like the least. The others just don’t do anything for me, but I don’t have anything against them.

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] – I really love this one even though I probably wouldn’t use it. I guess it is a guilty pleasure :stuck_out_tongue: Except it is perfectly acceptable, it just doesn’t fit in with my style very well.

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] – neutral

[name_m]Evander[/name_m] – This is my nephew’s name, so yes…love it! I have never heard a negative reaction about it; most people really like it, so if that is what you are worried about I would say it probably isn’t an issue. I like it because it is uncommon, but perfectly legitimate. And also doesn’t sound “over-the-top,” like…I don’t know…maybe [name_m]Axel[/name_m]? (Which is also uncommon and perfectly legitimate).

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] – Not a fan simply because it is unisex. I hate gender ambiguous names. Is this was just male or just female though, I would probably like it quite a bit. There is an exception to that “vehement” preference, however (which I am surprised about…it only just occured to me). I do like the name [name_u]Sage[/name_u], but prefer it on boys. I can see it on a girl, though, it just isn’t my preference…

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] – neutral

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]- like it a lot. Classic. Handsome.
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]- [name_f]Love[/name_f] it.
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]- not a fan. Reminds me of [name_m]Evander[/name_m] Holyfield.
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]- like it as a middle. It’s a little effete for me.
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]- lovely, underused.

It’s a likable list!

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]- I like it, but not enough to sell it hard
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]- I like it, but this might be the one I would drop if I had to pick one. I love the meaning, but the strong Beatles association is what makes me consider it problematic. I just think of all of the annoying people who would feel the need to sing…

[name_u]Robin[/name_u]- My favorite! It’s sweet & nature inspired, familiar but rare, I think [name_u]Bobby[/name_u] is charmingly retro. I adore [name_u]Robin[/name_u]!
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]- I love this name. It feels bookish & sweet but also spunky & fun. Ages well. Great choice!
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]- This name is rare, but feels on-trend like [name_u]Everett[/name_u] & [name_f]Eve[/name_f]-names. It’s so distinctive though. I think the modern feel of tempers the Holeyfield association.

I’m going to try and convince you to keep [name_m]Evander[/name_m] because I love it and it’s definitely my favourite of those 5 names (Followed by [name_u]Robin[/name_u] and then [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. I have nothing against [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], I just think they’re much less exciting)

• [name_m]Evander[/name_m] means ‘good man’ or ‘strong man’ - I think this makes it a good strong name :slight_smile:
  • It was the name of a deified Arcadian hero of the Trojan war who founded the city of Pallantium in the place where [name_m]Rome[/name_m] was later built([name_m]Evander[/name_m] of Pallene)- seems like a good guy to share a name with?
  • [name_m]Evander[/name_m] Holyfield the boxer is maybe not a good namesake (I don’t know because I had never heard of him until I googled ‘[name_m]Evander[/name_m]’ but he seems to have been accused of taking drugs?) but he is a boxer so at least he must be strong and tough?
  • It is uncommon and interesting but has a familiar sound ([name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_m]Xander[/name_m]) and reminds me of the Welsh name [name_u]Evan[/name_u] meaning ‘the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] is gracious’ ([name_u]Evan[/name_u] could be a nn for [name_m]Evander[/name_m]?)
  • It has another meaning of ‘archer’ in Gaelic - [name_m]Archer[/name_m] is a popular name at the moment, archery is a sport that requires great skill and concentration so maybe a child with this name would concentrate at school and … ok, I don’t even know what I’m going on about anymore

Bascially I think it’s a great name so I apologise for this seriously long ramble and terrible explanation of why I think it’s so great

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] - [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is a family name for me. It is not one I would choose as a first name but definitely as a middle name.
[name_u]Jude[/name_u] - I love [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. I can easily see [name_u]Jude[/name_u] on a child or an adult. It is another name that I feel would work with different personalities.
[name_m]Evander[/name_m] - I go back and fourth on liking this name and just feeling neutral about it.
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] - Unforgettable experience with this name (posted in the thread about [name_u]Robin[/name_u] for a boy).
[name_m]Simon[/name_m] - I love [name_m]Simon[/name_m]. I feel the same about [name_m]Simon[/name_m] as I do about [name_u]Jude[/name_u].

If I were you I would definitely keep [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and [name_m]Simon[/name_m] on the list.

Well, I must say ‘southern.maple’, you seem to have constructed a stunning list of names here! Some of my all-time favourites on this list!

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] - An absolutely wonderful name! One of my long-term favourites, and one of the two we’ve decided on using as firsts for our boys - due in [name_u]January[/name_u]. It’s a fabulously classic and handsome name, yet not too common. A great pick!

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] - Another one we’re going to use (this one as a middle!) I can’t quite decide whether [name_u]Jude[/name_u] is modern and elegant or classic and neat. Maybe it’s both! Another fabulous name - can’t ‘big it up’ enough!

[name_m]Evander[/name_m] - I like this one, I remember using it for a character in one of the stories I wrote when I was a teenager. It brings to mind easiness, modesty and intelligence. A great name!

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] - My goodness! We’ve used this one too! I like [name_u]Robin[/name_u] very much - it reminds me of [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Hood, a fearless and brave hero and the timid, beautiful red-breasted [name_u]Robin[/name_u] of [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] simultaneously. It’s a fab name.

[name_m]Simon[/name_m] - Probably my least favourite of your names, but still one I really like - you’ve definitely got my kind of names here! [name_m]Simon[/name_m] seems sophisticated and level-headed. Not too bold, but yet not a really popular choice nowadays.

Thanks for the responses so far, ladies. Keep them coming!