Can't decide, resorting to sibling ideas!

Hello,

Am still struggling with the decision on my daughters name… [name]Cara[/name] vs [name]Eve[/name]. So, I have thought of a clever plan! Could you tell me the sort of sibling names you can see fitting with each one of these:

1. [name]Sidney[/name] and [name]Cara[/name] (pn cah-ra not care-a)
  2. [name]Sidney[/name] and [name]Eve[/name]

Hopefully the 2 different lists will help us choose!

Thanks, [name]Rachel[/name] x

[name]Cara[/name]! It sounds great with [name]Sidney[/name]!

Is [name]Sidney[/name] a boy or a girl? I’m assuming girl I guess.
To me, [name]Eve[/name] is a much more classic sounding name than [name]Cara[/name] that I can see paired with older names. I prefer it to [name]Cara[/name], which I think is also going to be more of a pain since you have to explain the pronunciation.

[name]Eve[/name]! [name]Eve[/name]! [name]Eve[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Sidney[/name], [name]Cara[/name], and:

[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Lina[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Andrea[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Raina[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Samantha[/name]

[name]Sidney[/name], [name]Eve[/name], and:

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]

Thanks so far. abbycd: [name]Sidney[/name] is a boy and I only have to explain the pn of [name]Cara[/name] on here because most users are in the US - There is no pn issue in the UK! According to irisroses lists, I think [name]Eve[/name] just about has it! Anyone else? (looking for as many different opinions as possible!) Rach x

[name]Ah[/name], [name]Sidney[/name] being a boy makes it more classic too (I probably should have known from the spelling). I still am pro [name]Eve[/name]! [name]Sidney[/name] and [name]Eve[/name] go together really well now that I know [name]Sidney[/name] is a boy!

I prefer [name]Eve[/name] over [name]Cara[/name]…[name]Cara[/name] strikes me as a very 80’s name, since I grew up with several. I prefer classic names, and [name]Eve[/name] fits the bill nicely, I think.

[name]Eve[/name] & [name]Sidney[/name] are adorable!

I love [name]Cara[/name]!

I like [name]Eve[/name] better, especially with [name]Sidney[/name]. They also have a common thread: both of these names can be considered a sort of ‘word/place’ name, etc. I think they go together beautifully!!
Best of luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Eve[/name] waaay btter than [name]Cara[/name]. But I like [name]Eva[/name] and [name]Clara[/name] better than both! :slight_smile:

I feel that [name]Eve[/name] is very close to [name]Eva[/name] which is becoming quite popular. (NOt that it should deter you from choosing the name you love) I prefer [name]Cara[/name]. It sounds softer and more fem. to me. What about [name]Cora[/name]? What is your surname…that might help make the decision.

Thanks for your input everyone, I think the problem I’m having is that I have a real soft spot for [name]Cara[/name] but the style is so different from my usual taste and we do intend to have more kids - I just can’t think of any names I love which would “fit” (we really struggled with the middle name for this too…). [name]Eve[/name], I love for it’s elegance and simplicity and that leaves a whole list of other names I love open: [name]Helen[/name] being the main one :wink: HELP!!

The full names would be:
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Lucinda[/name] [name]Matthews[/name] ([name]Sidney[/name] and [name]Eve[/name] [name]Matthews[/name])
[name]Cara[/name] [name]Helen[/name] [name]Matthews[/name] ([name]Sidney[/name] and [name]Cara[/name] [name]Matthews[/name])

Big brother is [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Warren[/name] [name]Matthews[/name] and if we ever have a second boy he will be named [name]Albert[/name] [name]Harvey[/name] if that helps??!!. Thanks Rach x

I think you are getting the U.S. vote and I would like to see those from the U.K. and its Commonwealth countries opt in on this one.

As you know I love [name]Cara[/name] and I know that you decided on [name]Eve[/name]. So, I will start thinking about it again.

If we look at the time when [name]Sidney[/name] was popular you would have found lots of Evelyns too, there would have been no Caras but of course there would have been Carolines but it doesn’t appeal to you, then there would have been Charlottes too and if we liked that and stretched the boundaries we could have a nn of [name]Cara[/name] but not sure about the Sh of [name]Charlotte[/name] and S of [name]Sidney[/name] together a bit of a tongue twister?

So, at the moment imo the obvious siblings of the day for [name]Sidney[/name] would have been the following:
[name]Evelyn[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] and sisters [name]Violet[/name], [name]Dorothy[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] or [name]Elizabeth[/name].

I think these vintage style names work with [name]Sidney[/name], however, you are bringing a more modern vibe to the table with [name]Eve[/name] and [name]Cara[/name]. I love the combo of [name]Cara[/name] [name]Matthews[/name] more than [name]Eve[/name] [name]Matthews[/name] even though both are lovely. I am positive that if you got more U.K. input that there would be a swing towards [name]Cara[/name].

[name]Cara[/name]'s sisters could be [name]Megan[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Serena[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Isla[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Ellen[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]

[name]Eve[/name]'s sisters could be [name]Sophia[/name]/e, [name]NIna[/name], [name]Abigail[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Leila[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Delia[/name], [name]Nerida[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]

In fact after looking at the names I think that most of the alternatives I suggested work with either name.

If it is of any help, and it probably isn’t would [name]Clara[/name] be an option? I love [name]Cara[/name] more but throwing it into the mix.

[name]Eve[/name] is a very pretty name, I am not so fond of the nn of [name]Evie[/name] which gets a lot of love here. I am pretty sure that you will go with [name]Eve[/name], and [name]Eve[/name] [name]Lucinda[/name] is lovely.

(I thought about [name]Lucinda[/name] and [name]Sidney[/name] in fn spot and the ‘s’ sound was too obvious in the first name spot.) ps I have had second thoughts on this and I like [name]Lucinda[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] nn of [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Sid[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name].

With [name]Sidney[/name] I prefer a longer first name with a modern vintage vibe like [name]Evelyn[/name]/[name]Abigail[/name] (not too frilly) and [name]Amelia[/name]/[name]Viola[/name] (frilly) or as previously suggested [name]Lucinda[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]

all the best,

rollo :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks rollo - can always count on you! Why is this so hard?! We’ve actually been toying with the idea of forgetting both of them and calling her [name]Helen[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]… What do you think?

[name]Helen[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] that is a change. I am in favour of mothers giving their daughters their names in the mn spot.

Would [name]Helen[/name] be nn’d [name]Nellie[/name]? [name]Nellie[/name] is emerging as a desirable nickname and [name]Nellie[/name] and [name]Sid[/name] sound good together.

I would like to jazz up the combo a little by adding a third name:

[name]Helen[/name] [name]Annabella[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Willow[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Ella[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] (the ‘el’ in [name]Rachel[/name] becomes [name]Ella[/name])
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] (you get the [name]Ray[/name] in [name]Rachel[/name] from [name]Ramona[/name])
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Georgina[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Rae[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Shelley[/name] ([name]Shelley[/name] nn for [name]Rachel[/name])
[name]Lucinda[/name] [name]Helen[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]

What name do you keep coming back to? If it is [name]Cara[/name], why not go with [name]Cara[/name] [name]Helen[/name]?

rollo :slight_smile:

I think that [name]Sidney[/name] and [name]Eve[/name] are great together.
BTW I love [name]Sidney[/name] for a boy! What a great name!

I must say, I love both [name]Eve[/name] and [name]Cara[/name]!!! I can see why you are having so much trouble chosing between them!! I also love [name]Helen[/name] (my daughter’s name is [name]Helena[/name] :slight_smile: )
It’s tough but I’d have to say I’d go for
[name]Cara[/name] [name]Helen[/name] [name]Matthews[/name]
I love the flow of the name, and [name]Cara[/name] [name]Matthews[/name] just sounds great!
I also like it best with brother [name]Sidney[/name].

I think my second choice would be [name]Helen[/name], followed by [name]Eve[/name]. I don’t not like [name]Eve[/name], I just find it a bit short with your last name and [name]Evie[/name]/[name]Eva[/name] seem to be gaining popularity.

Good luck!!!

I think we are leaning away from [name]Eve[/name]… I think it’s the combination with [name]Lucinda[/name] being too frilly which is making me hesitate on that one. DH suggested [name]Eve[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] last night… What do you think? Too abrupt? So, I think our current list is probably now:
[name]Cara[/name] [name]Helen[/name] [name]Matthews[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Matthews[/name] - this is the reverse of my name… too much?
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Matthews[/name]

Thanks, Rach x

[name]Hi[/name]! Out of all your possibilities, I love [name]Eve[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]! So pretty, and unexpected! I think it goes so well with [name]Sidney[/name] [name]Warren[/name]. :smiley: