Cardinal?

Thoughts on [name_m]Cameron[/name_m] Diaz’s son’s name?

1 Like

In isolation from its various meanings, I can see the appeal. I like the birdy connection. Cardinals appointed by the Pope and ‘cardinal sin’ are quite potent associations though! Interested to see what other Berries make of it.

1 Like

Aside from all the different associations I’m not keen on the actual sound of the name feels a little harsh.

1 Like

I kind of love the symbolism of the bird as a sign of hope or message from the beyond. I also think [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Madden[/name_m] (Benji’s twin brother) has a son named [name_m]Sparrow[/name_m], so I wonder if the bird connection is on purpose?

[name_f]My[/name_f] actual first thought was “have they been listening to [name_f]Kacey[/name_f] Musgraves’ new album?” (doubtful lol).

3 Likes

Not an immediate fan - it feels like each syllable is doing too much - and the church associations are strong for me. But we don’t have the birds here in Oz, so that part isn’t an obvious connection. And I’m not a celeb - this child will be hanging with similarly named kids.

3 Likes

it feels a little religious to me, but i do enjoy it more than i thought i would!

I like it better than their daughters name but I agree with a previous posters assessment that it’s somehow trying to do too much.
I also find it’s completely different from Raddix, I’d expect a different kind of bird name as a brother to Raddix, something like Hawk or Eagle.
Cardinal feels a lot more at home with more “classic sounding”, even slightly pretentious names, to me.

3 Likes

I knew a very posh guy called [name_m]Cardin[/name_m] growing up, so can see that upper crust aspect to the name too.

1 Like

Not a fan. I feel like the bird association kind of helps it have a tiny appeal, but the sounds together are kind of hard for me to say, so it’s hard for me to imagine saying it many times a day every single day. The sounds just don’t sound good together for me. I also think of the term “cardinal directions.”

Cute bird, not a great name imo.

1 Like

I actually… kind of… love it?? I mean it’s aLOT of baggage to give a small child and the religious connotations are pretty heavy, but it just sounds so elegant and medieval. I think of The [name_m]Young[/name_m] Pope on HBO and various other tv dramas :joy: I wouldn’t do it and I think it could be a difficult one for a kid to carry, but I see why they went there!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] main association with it is the bird, so I dont mind it. I can see how if your first thought was religious it might be off putting

1 Like