carl

my husband and i have struggled over a boys name for years (currently trying) and he would like the middle name to be after his grandfather who was also his best friend that passed - john carl. i struggle with it due to me wanting my child to have his or her own unique name, something original and distinguishable. i threw out the idea to use the name jack after john (as a middle name)… which was quickly shot down. carl also happens to be the name of my husband’s best friend. so, then i am left with potentially having my sons name be a hyphenated 4 name combo for the sake of it being different. something like bromley alden-carl … or should i just bite the bullet and let him have the middle name and decide on a first name together??

please let me know your thoughts… or any other names that could spin off either john or carl and still have the memory in mind when naming our child. thanks in advance!

Have you considered a name like giancarlo? It would at least combine john and carlo together.

Oh, I like [name]Giancarlo[/name]! I was going to say [name]John[/name] really isn’t that common, yeah it’s top 20 but last year only 14,000 boys got the name. (compared to [name]Jacob[/name]'s 23, 000, it’s nothing) 14,000 translates to 280 boys per state, that’s really rather uncommon. I can’t tell you the last little [name]John[/name] I met! And [name]John[/name], nn [name]Jack[/name] feels so great to me. I don’t like [name]Jack[/name] on his own, but as a nickname he feels kind of Presidential to me.

My kids have three names each plus a surname (as do I) and it’s really not a big hassle to have and yes, it’s still a rather standout thing to have.

[name]John[/name] [name]Alden[/name] [name]Carl[/name] surname (or if you don’t mind going a bit ethnic) [name]John[/name] [name]Alden[/name] [name]Carlo[/name] surname would be rather lovely

I’m not a fan of [name]Bromley[/name], it makes me think of [name]Wilfred[/name] [name]Bromley[/name] and bromide powder. Of course, if it’s a family surname, [name]John[/name] [name]Carlo[/name] [name]Bromley[/name] or [name]John[/name] [name]Bromley[/name] [name]Carl[/name] would be awesome. And if [name]GianCarlo[/name] works: [name]GianCarlo[/name] [name]Bromley[/name] [name]Alden[/name] surname works very nicely indeed.

I hope that helps some!

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Carl[/name] as a name? Unless you really hate it, maybe you could compromise by using it as a middle name and finding something unique for the first name. I like the middle name slot for family names, because you all know that the name is there, but your child still gets his own name for everyday use. Or how about [name]Charles[/name]? Like [name]Carlo[/name], it would be a recognizable tribute to [name]Carl[/name], without being the exact same name.

Is [name]John[/name] also important to you/your husband? You could consider two middle names, as [name]Lola[/name] suggested (especially if the names are short, like [name]John[/name] and [name]Carl[/name], I really don’t see this as a problem). Or, there are tons of alternate forms of [name]John[/name], some of which might work as first names for you. [name]Evan[/name], [name]Ian[/name], [name]Sean[/name], and [name]Shane[/name] all come to mind.

One more thought…some of the feminine forms of [name]Carl[/name] are also attractive (if you don’t mind that they mean “manly”!) If you had a daughter, would you consider honoring [name]Carl[/name] with [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Carlotta[/name], or [name]Carla[/name]?

I am not wild about the name [name]Carl[/name]. I think it’s because I knew someone named [name]Carl[/name] that I didn’t like that much which is a silly reason. But I do adore the name [name]Charles[/name]! I would have considered it for my son only it sounds incredibly singsong with our last name. I also love the nickname [name]Charlie[/name] which sounds even worse with my last name. Hopefully it sounds great with your last name. If it does, I highly recommend it. A few years ago I met a darling little boy named [name]Carlo[/name]. [name]John[/name] is a great name because I love the nickname [name]Jack[/name]. If you can handle being so daring, [name]Giancarlo[/name] is amazing, and that would give you a chance to pick out a name yourself.