Carmel Allegra

British singer [name_f]Leona[/name_f] [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] recently announced the birth of her daughter, [name_u]Carmel[/name_u] [name_f]Allegra[/name_f].

I think it’s sweet, but wondering if it might be confusing in [name_u]America[/name_u], where they live? Doesn’t [name_u]Carmel[/name_u] sound exactly the same as ‘caramel’ to Americans? (In the UK caramel is pronouced ‘carra-mel’ so no confusion)

1 Like

Not only does Carmel sound like caramel, but Allegra is an allergy medication. As a combo, it kind of sounds like caramel flavored allergy medicine. :grimacing:

10 Likes

Because I live by a city called [name_u]Carmel[/name_u], I pronounce both it and caramel like a fast car-mole by instinct. And I agree with [name_f]Megan[/name_f] that it does sound like caramel flavored medicine.

2 Likes

Oh dear!

2 Likes

I’m not gonna lie I thought it said Caramel at first glance lol

2 Likes

:grimacing: is all i have to say. i’m all for out-there names, but this combo together is just not it for me

eta - i should add that i’m in the us and say carmel and caramel the same!

I think it’s pretty! I don’t have either association as a [name_u]Brit[/name_u] and my first thought was “Carmel! There’s one I haven’t heard in a while!” [name_m]Classic[/name_m] but totally unexpected. And [name_f]Allegra[/name_f] feels elegant but lively to me.

8 Likes

[name_u]Carmel[/name_u] and caramel sound similar to me, but definitely not the same. There’s a place called [name_u]Carmel[/name_u] a few hours from me & everyone here says it as ‘car-MEL’. Caramel has multiple pronunciations ofc, but I’ve only ever heard it with 3 syllables, so it’s different already to me. I personally say ‘carr-uh-mull’

4 Likes

I saw years ago on social media this test going around that based on how you said different words and labeled varying objects it could pinpoint what state of the US your accent came from. One of those words was caramel and two syllable carmel was one of the options…. So I read this name and I instantly thought flavored medicine!

1 Like

I like [name_u]Carmel[/name_u]! [name_f]My[/name_f] only association is a character from a UK based soap opera lol :sweat_smile: [name_f]Allegra[/name_f] is also really pretty! Not sure I’d use the two together myself, but I like both names separately.

3 Likes

The pronunciation of caramel depends on where you live in [name_u]America[/name_u] - I’m from the south and we say “care-uh-mel” where I live. So it’s not confusing in that aspect. I will say that this name is very reminiscent of [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] [name_f]Electra[/name_f], though.

5 Likes

Also from the [name_u]South[/name_u] here, and we say “care-uh-mell” :joy: @Youssarian said it for me, but the name reminded me so much of [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] [name_f]Electra[/name_f]!

I do love [name_u]Carmel[/name_u] as name though! I think it’s great! I’m just not a fan of the middle name myself. Too heavily associated with my morning allergies :sneezing_face:

I’m also [name_u]Southern[/name_u] and in my particular corner we say Car - muhl lol. Second the allergy medication association. Not to say it’s a bad name, it just doesn’t click in my area.

1 Like

I think it’s beautiful! Congrats to her.

1 Like