Carmelo

Having done some research, I’m considering naming our first child [name]Carmelo[/name]. I know it’s religious meaning, popularity in Latino and Italian families, and known for a certain basketball player. What impressions do you feel toward the name? What are some possible nicknames? With our very common last name, what middle names would you consider with it? It would be great to please hear the pros as well as the cons of choosing this name. Any and every opinion on [name]Carmelo[/name] would be most appreciated. Thanks for your valued comments!

I happen to love it! We had thought about using it, but our last name ends in an ‘O’ as well, so we decided against it… It does automatically scream italian to me, which may or may not bother you. I would most likely call him Carm or another possibility is to give him a ‘J’ middle name and call him CJ. Possible middle names…

[name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Anthony[/name]
[name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Robert[/name]
[name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Luca/name
[name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Marcus[/name]
[name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Carmelo[/name] [name]William[/name]
[name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I like [name]Carmelo[/name] as a name, but it reminds me of a professional basketball player named [name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Anthony[/name] who plays for the [name]Denver[/name] Nuggets. I do not know much about basketball, so perhaps he is not as well known as I think? I know about him because we both went to Syracuse at the same time before he went pro. His nickname is [name]Melo[/name], which is fun.

I automatically think of the book Caramelo by [name]Sandra[/name] Cisneros. I think it’s a really cool name, and fun to say :slight_smile: and I think the nn [name]Melo[/name] is really cute! but depending on your area (and your child) it might be a hard name too pull off.

I love the name. I actually don’t associate it with basketball at all.
I think the name stands alone very well, but you could call him [name]Cam[/name] or [name]Mel[/name] for a nn (or Carm)

I immediately associate it with the [name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Anthony[/name], the basketball player. That isn’t a bad thing though. It’s not like he’s a bad guy at all…go for it!

I feel the name works best for as an ethnic name among blacks and Hispanics or at most Italians. It reminds me of the candy bar Caramello. This name for me sounds like food especially that it could be a drink for at Starbucks. There’s a feminine feel to it especially with the more popular female form [name]Carmela[/name] that was popularized by the mafia show Sopranos. With the whole food, very ethnic, mafia burden, it doesn’t sound American or even English and I suggest going with [name]Christopher[/name] or [name]Charles[/name].

You do realize that there are Americans who are black, Hispanic (and Italian) right? To say a name doesn’t sound American simply bc you feel it has an “ethnic sound” is a bit ignorant. I’m guessing you are trying to say [name]Carmelo[/name] doesn’t sound like a “white name”…smh.

i like carmello–but WOULDN’T pair it with the mn anthony because of the basketball player.

My only suggestion with regard to naming your son [name]Carmelo[/name] is the pairing it up with the appropriate middle name. I too would pass on the nickname [name]Anthony[/name] since it’s too much associated with the basketball player. I’d also choose a middle name that didn’t start or end with an “O” (no [name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Otto[/name], [name]Carmelo[/name] [name]Orlando[/name], etc). It would be best as well to look beyond Spanish or Italian names or anything biblical since it maybe a little too theme based. Also, a three-syllable middle name would be a mouthful so I would go with a shorter one or at most two syllable middle with this name.

Some things don’t translate well when it comes to American English. It sounds better with an Italian, French, or Spanish accent. The name’s more popular on the continent. I don’t think the states are ready for something melodic yet masculine. Why people don’t use it more is beyond me.