Carmilla

What are your thoughts surrounding the name [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f]? Like it, dislike it - what do you think?

…I imagine some familiar with [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f] through literature will think ‘sapphic-vampiress’ and perhaps see it in a negative light, but hey…that association is exactly why I’m loving it right now (yeah, blame the new web-series)!

[name_f]Camilla[/name_f] is lovely. Not sure why you’re adding an extra R in there, but I see you’re from Australia! That seems to be the thing to do here! Either that or an extra H.

[name_f]Camilla[/name_f] is pretty not to keen on the ‘r’

Well, it has nothing to do with being Australian for me…people add random R’s here (H’s, yeah, but R’s)? [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f] is a literary name. I love [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] and [name_f]Mila[/name_f] plus the literary association is interesting…so yeah, I like the R. [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f] may well have been based upon and used as a variation of [name_f]Carmela[/name_f] (which I too like) back in the day when [name_m]Le[/name_m] Fanu wrote his novella.

I like [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] or [name_f]Carmela[/name_f], but not [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f] sorry. The extra R just sounds a bit unnecessary and clumsy to me.

The novella comes to mind first and foremost. I had no idea there was a web series based on it!

I dislike it for it’s sound. The Carm- part really throws me off. It sounds artificial and yet medicinal at the same time. I blame carmex.

I’d prefer [name_f]Carmela[/name_f] or [name_f]Camilla[/name_f], for some reason the R + mill isn’t doing it for me, sound wise.

[name_f]Happy[/name_f] to hear that the novella DID come to mind first - everyone knows of Dracula, but a lot don’t know of [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f]. The web-series is fantastic, and worth checking out!

Anyone else have opinions on [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f]? I’m not short-listing it myself…just curious to know what people think. :slight_smile:

I am like in love with the webseries, and both my gf and I have crushes on [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f] from it lol. But on the name itself, [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f] isn’t very good. I like Mircalla better. But I in general am in love with that webseries!!!11

I kind of like [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f]. My first association is the novella (and now webseries, woohoo), and my next association is the book/movie The Moth Diaries, which alludes to [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f] a lot and has a similar premise.

I don’t think I’d use [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f] myself, but I like it better than Mircalla (which doesn’t feel as much like a name.) I also like the way [name_f]Carmilla[/name_f] is bolder than [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] but softer than [name_u]Carmen[/name_u]. It’s a nice middle ground.