Caro as nn for Caroline, Carolyn, Carolina, etc.?

What do you think of [name]Caro[/name] as a nn for the [name]Caroline[/name] series of names?

I don’t really like it. It reminds me of oil. I don’t know why. Is there such thing as caro oil?

I have heard it used before, I always thought of it as one of those nicknames that comes about On accident. I don’t think it’s very attractive.

I think you’re thinking of Karo Syrup, it’s a brand of corn syrup. Not the best association.

I was under the impression that it was a more common nn in [name]Britain[/name]. It seems like the pronunciation may be more natural there. With my accent (Southern US), it’s a bit forced. But I did first see in The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, which is set in [name]Louisiana[/name]…

Our daughter is [name]Claire[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]; we call her [name]Clio[/name]. I can see [name]Caro[/name] working just fine, but I do think it might take some effort to get others to use it. I imagine they’d call her [name]Cara[/name].

We also consider [name]Callie[/name] (but it rhymes with our son’s nickname [name]Aly[/name], so it was out) and [name]Coco[/name] (but my husband kept saying “gorilla” or “stripper” so … that was out, too.)

I have a close friend who I went to sleepaway camp with named [name]Caroline[/name]. As her close friends we called her [name]Caro[/name], but it wasn’t an official nickname. I think you can call a [name]Caroline[/name] (or any variant) [name]Caro[/name], [name]Cara[/name], [name]Cari[/name], etc. but I think it’s one of those names that most people will just revert to [name]Caroline[/name]. [name]Caro[/name] is cute as an affectionate nickname though!

Personally, I don’t like it. If I were to have a nickname for [name]Caroline[/name], it would be [name]Carrie[/name]

Yeah, I think it is sort of an unofficial nickname, but I don’t mind it at all! Most of the girls I know named [name]Caroline[/name] go by [name]Caroline[/name], but the one I went to high school with was occasionally called [name]Caro[/name] - it was on her license plate.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I think [name]Caro[/name] is cute!

I love it!
There’s this great singer named [name]Caro[/name] [name]Emerald[/name]. Her official name is [name]Caroline[/name] too :slight_smile: .

In Australia, [name]Caro[/name] was very common as a nickname for [name]Caroline[/name]. I’ve never known any Carolines to be called [name]Carrie[/name].

Although the nickname is common, I don’t like it (especially with the ocker Australian accent! “CARROUGH”, bleugh!) and it has turned me off the name [name]Caroline[/name]!

Yeah, it reminds me of Karo Syrup too.

I had no idea that [name]Caro[/name] is a common nickname for [name]Caroline[/name] in Australia! It’s the only nn for [name]Caro[/name]-type names in Latin [name]America[/name]. We live in Mexico and my daughter is [name]Carolina[/name], universally referred to as [name]Caro[/name]. I call her [name]Carrie[/name] so that she’ll have an English-language nn once we’re back the States. However, my older daughter and I are the only ones who call her that (my husband’s first language is Spanish so he calls her [name]Caro[/name]) and I’m now thinking that having two diffrent nn’s, while reflective of her dual nationality, culture, languages, etc. might get to be a bit much at some point. Thus, I’m thinking of giving in and calling her [name]Caro[/name] too.

Thanks for the tip – I just googled her!